Traditional RV modified for Overlanding?

Cyrull

Hey Folks,

Was wondering if anyone out there is running a traditional RV and modified it for overland use?

I saw this video and it made me curious:
It initially seems like a good compromise between doing a build out or finding a boutique up fitter. I'm not a big fan of RV finishes, I think they are a bit dated or a but too opulent for my tastes but I can live with it. Pro's and Con's for someone considering going this route? I'm guessing the interior furniture may not hold up very well off pavement but you can get a pretty hefty discount in used RV's so that is quite appealing.

Thoughts? Can anyone share their experiences? Looking to mostly use this in NA/Baja, maybe a bit further south.

dreadlocks

why not a truck camper? or campervan?

My problem with these is RV's are already at the weight ceiling, poorly constructed and trying to get a decent suspension under them that's safe and comfortable is going to be a trial and error event more than likely.. not to mention the serious height of em, could be trouble in wooded areas and would make rolling over way to easy.

Cyrull

My problem with these is RV's are already at the weight ceiling, poorly constructed and trying to get a decent suspension under them that's safe and comfortable is going to be a trial and error event more than likely.. not to mention the serious height of em, could be trouble in wooded areas and would make rolling over way to easy.

I'm looking at camper vans right now just wanted to explore other alternatives. My spouse has mobility issues, so ease of access is important and I don't think a truck camper will work.

dreadlocks

IMHO its hard to beat a good campervan, and making them capable of conquering most terrain is pretty easy and a well traveled path.. If your fine with minimalistic and clever living, space is tight.

If you need the space/conviences of a Class C RV then perhaps you should be considering a trailer, thats how I had to go when I outgrew camper vans.. (Family of 4+2 dogs)

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
Also worth considering the way that they are constructed. The construction and materials used in the body and furniture is unlikely to hold up well to thousands of miles on bad roads. they are designed and built to be as cheap and light as possible whilst surviving the low intensity use that most of them get subjected. There is a strong chance that a long corrugated gravel road drive will damage them beyond repair.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor

Safe & comfy suspension isn't a trail & error, we did 13 RVs last year and every one of the owners is happy. Much more stable, better ride, better steering & handling even with a 6" lift.

These rigs aren't sized for any serious off road action, beaches & mild dirt roads are what 99% of them see. A little further off the beaten path is the goal.

Cyrull

Safe & comfy suspension isn't a trail & error, we did 13 RVs last year and every one of the owners is happy. Much more stable, better ride, better steering & handling even with a 6" lift.

These rigs aren't sized for any serious off road action, beaches & mild dirt roads are what 99% of them see. A little further off the beaten path is the goal.

Thanks for that insight Chris, in terms of capabilities how would the RV's compare to say a 4x4 Sprinter (lets use the Revel as an example)? Also have you had any Canadian customers come do a conversions with you?

dreadlocks

IMO you dont need a 6in lift for beaches and mild dirt roads, just appropriate tires.. and then 2wd works just fine for most situations.. a 4x4 van w/good clearance is far more capable and can make it alot farther off the beaten path.. a lifted RV is just going to make you question if its worth risking ending up on your side as soon as you encounter any uneven terrain, if you get that far once you realize how impossible it'd be to turn around.

Last edited:

Steve_P

That long overhang on the back of class c's has always turned me off. I don't go anywhere near extreme but just crossing a narrow wash is going to plough up the road, at best, and could leave you hung up or worse. Add to that the weight, width, height and high cg and you're asking for trouble.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for that insight Chris, in terms of capabilities how would the RV's compare to say a 4x4 Sprinter (lets use the Revel as an example)? Also have you had any Canadian customers come do a conversions with you?

I would think that the Revel is more capable on an actual trail. Our suspension will handle more and out flex it but the rest of the RV may not like it! We have done a few Canada vans but usually ship kits up there to avoid the difficulties with importing modified rigs.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
IMO you dont need a 6in lift for beaches and mild dirt roads, just appropriate tires.. and then 2wd works just fine for most situations.. a 4x4 van w/good clearance is far more capable and can make it alot farther off the beaten path.. a lifted RV is just going to make you question if its worth risking ending up on your side as soon as you encounter any uneven terrain, if you get that far once you realize how impossible it'd be to turn around.

The 6" lift offers the best packaging of the front axle. Better steering & handling, rear springs spec'd to the proper weight, all of these things make it a better rigor & off road. These RVs are WAY under sprung in stock form. Some of the manufacturers will add airbags or sway bars but IMO those are bandaids. Again, these RVs aren't made for trails. Beaches and basic dirt/fire roads to get a bit further than the basic & boring campgrounds.

b. rock

Supposedly there's a 19' Majestic w/ a 4x4 conversion for sale at the moment...it's a closed fb group so I'm trying to get in to see details.

I really liked the idea of getting something with an interior ready to rock at the price range that you can find these things for, but as others have echoed - if you're thinking of taking them on actual trails, they're pretty much a no go.

GNTY

Adventurer
Below is a good thread to review and has good information for and against class c's, i think the common consensus is they are not for jeep trails, but a good quality one can take you surprisingly far.
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...emisphere-anyone-done-it.168725/#post-2251927
45825956095_ef188dbf4b_c.jpg

MOguy

Explorer
I guess it is about you wants and needs. For me a roof top tent, frig, awning and other popular "overland" accessories' are pushing the weight ceiling and may not take the abuse I might dish out. But I don't overland, what I do is back country adventure.

But for extending journeys where you need to be self reliant (more of the overlanding type travels) and if the terrain would allow it I would much rather travel in that modified RV than a van.

Last edited:

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I currently have a 19' motor home (like the one mentioned above that was converted to 4x4). I bought mine to do the same thing but have since switched to a 2017 Ford Transit that I built out.

For me I went from a truck camper to the motor home for health reasons. I needed something I could go from the front to the back easily and a TCer would not do that. Bought the motor home and I love it for the features. My BIG issue is that the areas that I need it to travel are too narrow for the motor home so I bought a van. I have the motor home for sale but honestly I am not that interested in selling it as I really like it. Would I turn it into a 4x4? Not for rough roads as you really feel the roads. It is not light and even a washboard road you can feel your bones rattle, I could not imagine a 4x4 road with the bouncing and twisting on me or the unit. For sand I could see it but understand that you have weight and lots of it but if truck campers can drive on it I could see a 4x4 motor home doing fine.

The big change for me was the noise. The truck camper you heard nothing from the camper. The motor home you hear all the rattles and squeaks on rough roads.

Mine is small so departure angle is amazing.

If I could add a full time 4x4 on mine I would go that route. For me half my driving is in snow so I think that would be cool. I am not a fan of where they are putting the 4x4 shift lever as that is in my way and defeats the purpose of easily moving from the front to the back.

I think if I keep mine I will upgrade the suspension. Maybe the tires (it has aggressive tires on it already). Change out the front bumper and add a winch and use it for what it is and what it has and no more without four wheel drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier