Traded Tacoma for '16 ecoboost F-150. Heresy?!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The toolbox used in the ford was weighted ALOT....the toolbox used in the chev, empty made from aluminum instead of steel. 100% rigged. Either that, or it was a camera trick. Somone Punched the hole in the back of the ford and then they switched back. Easy enough done with editing.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I read a story somewhere, who knows if it's true, but Chevy stumbled onto the bed issues during their own testing for future aluminum trucks. They couldn't get the aluminum to pass tests so they tried a Ford and had similar results.

adrstout

Adventurer
Had my sliders built and installed by P&P Engineering in northern Indiana. The F-150 proved to be a bit of a challenge design wise but they got it done. I love how they turned out!

20170205_181426.jpg

20170205_175425.jpg

20170205_160409.jpg

adrstout

Adventurer
Looks great! Would they be interested in doing another set for a '12 Screw?

Looks like they also work well as a step and bed access.

Yeah they work well as a step. I imagine they would want to build another set. I think they were hoping to take the design for mine and make them a production unit. Not sure how much different your truck would be.

adrstout

Adventurer
Added a bed mat and then started what I'm calling stage 1 of my platform build. There will be more to come but I at least completed the basic structure for the sleeping portion. It is bare in the pic but I put a stain on it later.

20170304_175234.jpg

bigskypylot

Explorer
Adding power sounds fun and is certainly tempting but I'm plenty happy with stock power and I'd like to have no issues should I need warranty work. Maybe someday!

Glad you like them. I am too so far but that's just highway commuting so far. Mine are load range E. Pretty sure that's the only load range they come in except for a 31 flotation tire in C. Ride hasn't noticeably decreased for me from the stock goodyear HTs. A little more hum on the highway, a little less MPG, and more steering weight. I like the extra weight in the steering. It was almost loose before.

When you do want to add power, check out Livernois Motorsports

bdp1978

Adventurer
Checking in on your thoughts on the 2.7 now that you've had the truck awhile?

I'm test driving a 2.7 SCREW Sport tomorrow morning. Not sure what to expect as my current truck is the 5.7 Hemi. I tow a 7400lb boat all Summer as well so I'm a bit concerned about that. I LOVE the looks of the new F150's though.

adrstout

Adventurer
Checking in on your thoughts on the 2.7 now that you've had the truck awhile?

I'm test driving a 2.7 SCREW Sport tomorrow morning. Not sure what to expect as my current truck is the 5.7 Hemi. I tow a 7400lb boat all Summer as well so I'm a bit concerned about that. I LOVE the looks of the new F150's though.

I have 18k on mine now and I love the engine. I fully intended to buy a 5.0 and when I drove the 2.7 I couldn't walk away. Stock for stock the acceleration is the same based on tests I've seen due to the 2.7's torque curve. I towed the same trailer (roughly 5k) back to back with my dad's 5.7 jeep and then my truck. Power wise they felt about the same hooked up. The truck handled it better just due to platform. No issues.

7400 lbs is going to be pushing the tow rating on these. I don't think it would be an issue but if you tow it a lot or far I'd probably opt for the 3.5 since it is a tow monster.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
I had a F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4x4 with the 3.5L EcoBoost before my current GMC and your sentiments about it being a tow monster are correct. I have a Kubota M5700 4x4 with loader that weighs somewhere around 7,000 lbs wet. I pulled it on a 2,500 lb trailer and engine-wise it was fine. The suspension was my F150's shortcoming, thus I upgraded to a 3/4 ton. I also wanted gooseneck capability as we have four farm properties 50 miles from the northernmost to the southernmost. I think a 3.5L in the new body style would do well for the 7,400 lb load in question.

bdp1978

Adventurer
I appreciate the responses, sorry to butt in on your thread.

I just test drove the F150 and will be sticking with Ram for various reasons after the test drive. Great looking truck though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne