Trade my '14 4Runner for an '09 unicorn 4Runner?

Currently I have a 2014 4Runner Trail Edition with 30k miles that I bought this April. I basically owe what it's worth in trade. Great, beautiful truck.

Today I found a 2009 4Runner Trail Edition with 115k miles listed for $17k. Yes, a real 4th gen Trail with e-locker and A-TRAC. It is in excellent condition and looks to have never been off road.

I got to thinking that it would be nice to lessen my financial liability, and get a 4Runner that I wouldn't feel as bad about taking in the woods. However, I need my 4Runner to be totally reliable for work travel out of state so the age and mileage are mildly concerning.

I'm curious to get other folks opinions on this.

Hummelator

Adventurer
My 2007 tundra has 245000 KM (152xxx miles) on the ODO. I would not hesitate to drive that thing across the country. As long as you do your due diligence with maintenance A Toyota will live up to its reputation. A little more jingle in the pocket never hurts.

bozochu

So instead of continuing to pay for the 14, you would sell it and break even? Then pay/finance a 09 T4R? Either way you still have a payment. The savings you get per month compared to reliability of a newer vehicle offsets each other. The 14 Trail has the ATRAC and rear locker as well. Keep the 14.

Yes I would break even on the 14 and then either write a check for the 09 or take a very short term loan.

Ultimately the 14 will cost about $36k and the 09 about $17k.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Write a check for the older one and be done with car payments. Then start saving 200 to 300 a month so you can get another vehicle in a few years.

Jeffe1

5b5f78a40c306dd16e6929731ec8cc4e.jpg

04' V8 with 215k we drive it everywhere. This is not only a dd but our road trip vehicle. You shouldn't have any problems with that mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zidaro

Explorer
Both of those are great rigs.
Problem is, to me, that you bought new. Meaning that whatever you do, the $$ you've put into your vehicle as of now is wasted. Except that you have a new car, which is why we do that.
Honestly the logic doesn't add up to me. The two vehicles are the same. Trail Editions are great unless you plan to upgrade the suspension anyway, then they are just overpriced. Neither is a smoking deal (you'll get what you get on selling, and the 09 is not some amazing deal.) FYI, i bought an 08 limited V8 for $9K.
If you could not finance, then your saving some $$$. Used car loans are typically 5-10% and that is going to eat up anything your saving by swapping, assuming you bought your new runner on a Toyota Financial 0% or close to.

Either way, your still going to be in a Toyota. No bad decisions there :)

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I never understand how someone can say a vehicle like that is older or the mileage is mildly concerning...?
I drive a '97 4runner with 226,500 miles on it, and I would hop in and drive that thing across the country today. I haven't had a car payment in years. My vehicle costs my 60$/month in insurance, a little fuel, and I throw a couple bucks in a jar toward new tires and maintenance whenever it needs it.

Don't be a slave to payments, or believe that you need to upgrade constantly out of a false sense of security.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
115k miles is still very very young for any engine.

Both options have pros and cons. If you can afford the car payments stick with the 14. Better yet, accelerate your payments and be done with it.

Dalko43

Explorer
Are you intending to build up either vehicle with all the traditional overland modifications?

If so, I'd definitely favor selling the 14 4runner for an older vehicle, to cut down on depreciation. If not, keep your 14 4runner, run it and enjoy it. It is surprisingly capable in stock form or with a mild suspension lift.

I'd advise you to look at 4runners with v8's as well. Much better towing and overall engine performance. The 4.0l v6 on the 4th gen's does feel a bit more responsive than the 4.0l on the 5th gen's, but I think differences in vehicle weight and aerodynamics might have something to do with that. Overall the two vehicles drive similarly and return similar mpg's. The 4.7l v8, by comparison, while returning a bit less mpg, does provide a whole lot more grunt.

You could also look at buying a used, slightly order, 5th gen 4runner trail...I'm fairly certain those can be found for $25k-$30k. The 4th gen is a decent vehicle, but comparing stock-to-stock, the 5th gen has slight improvements in most areas: interior; space; ground clearance; approach/departure angles; ect.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I'd stick with the '14. You're going to lose a lot of new-vehicle depreciation if you trade/sell it now. With a new vehicle you've got to commit to at least 5-6 years of ownership in order to get something resembling your money's worth out of it.

I wish that was the case where I live.

There are used TE's in southern ca with 100k on the odo still being sold in the mid 30k range. Its ridiculous.

Dalko43

Explorer
I just really don't see the point of trading in a ~new vehicle for a slightly older one, if the owner can afford the payments/cost of the new one. If the owner was in serious financial trouble and needed to liquidate assets to stay afloat, then by all means, take the hit, buy a $1000 beater and drive it to the ground over the next five years while building up savings. That's understandable. But trading in a '14 T4R for a '09 T4R with a fancy trim/accessories package, while losing money doesn't make sense to me.

I agree with this. If you can afford the newer vehicle, stick with the payments and enjoy it. A 5th gen 4runner, especially a trail edition, really doesn't need much in terms of accessories or mods to make it capable offroad (I'd argue that if you're going with a buddy, you don't need anything at all except for some shackles and straps).

E-locker and ATRAC? Whatever. I'll bet most of us will be in a situation that requires those features about once in a lifetime. I've done some ridiculous crawling (at least to my experience/wants/desires) in my double cab, long bed tacoma, without either of those features, solo, in the middle of nowhere, and came out without a scratch. Those features would be nice to have, but they're far from a must-have. Proper tires, proper lines, and driver training (which I admittedly lack) would be a much better investment.

I've actually used both my e-locker and ATRAC quite a bit, or at least more than I would've expected too. And I'm not an avid rock crawler or mud bogger by any means; just by nature of visiting some remote roads, those two items have come in handy, and I'd recommend any potential 5th gen buyer look for those features, especially for solo travel.

That said, I'm fairly certain the OP's Trail Edition already comes with both features so it's a moot point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne