Trade '99 Cummins for '96 T100?

Dibbs

I have a '99 cummins 4x4 regular cab auto with 178000 that I've done the usual mods to (FASS 150, gauges, edge, steering upgrades). The only exterior mod are the 255/85r16 Cooper STs. I have someone with a '96 T100 extra cab 4x4 with 216000. It's a good looking truck, well taken care of. My question is would it be a fair trade? Is a 216000 mile T100 worth trading a semi-mint condition 99 Cummins for? I don't tow anything over 3000 lbs.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I think you'd be getting the short end of the financial stick by quite a few thousand dollars....

Dibbs

Yeah, you guy are probably right. I sold my '07 FJ after I bought this truck. Sometimes I wish I didn't. Only problem with the FJ in 95000 miles was the darn clutch throw-out bearing squeaking. The wife drives a '13 Tacoma DC and I love that thing. I want a toyota again!

Last edited:

hilux30

Observer
ok but not to a T100, I honestly think that's the worst attempt for a truck from Toyota, that chassis did not do well especially with a load, rear wheels were too far forward plus no power to do anything...

expo80

Adventurer
For the comment on the t-100 being under powered that may be true with the 3.0 ltr engine but when they put the 3.4 ltr in the 1995-1997 engines that truck came alive!

I have one with an ARB bumper ball joint spacer and an add a leaf in the rear it has towed a bunch of mini trucks on on trailers in its time doing 75 down the inner state with power to spare, this is at sea leave tho and whey you compare the Cummins to this engine they are not even in the same ball park, the 6bt will win every time.

My only complaints about the truck is the captains chairs the foam is getting old and causes me back pain after plowing all day I might see if i can swap in an 80 Series land cruiser seat. I must admit with no weight in the rear the rear is a little light and you will spin tire if you get on it hard at a stop light.

In my opinion the 1st generation tundras were junk, the frames were not fully boxed like the t100 and the front of the frames were weakened so they would fold like an accordion absorb energy in the event of front end collision... good for "safety rating" bad for adding HD front bumper and or plow. Also the frames were made by dayna corp and if there were not replace by Toyota they are bad steel and will rot out.

As far as a fair trade i would say NO, keep the dodge! if you want a good t-100 look around for a 1996-1998 with the 3.4 ltr you should be able to find one for under 4-5k

Picture of the t-100 i own custom mount for 80 series bumper and custom mount for 8' plow, every time i take this truck into town i get offers on it, around these parts these trucks are in high demand.

IMG_20141007_094902.jpg

Dibbs

Thanks for the replies everyone. I put my truck up for sale in my local craigslist. I'd like to trade for a four door tundra but we'll see. I need more room than my reg cab affords real soon.

Dibbs

I just removed my truck from craigslist. Nothing but scams and lowball offers. That was frustrating.

Dibbs

Never occurred to me really. I didn't think there was much of a demand on here for a regular cab diesel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior