Tractor Supply Synthetic Winch Line

onetraveller

Adventurer
This is the kind of note that makes me question what you are buying. From the TuffStuff ad.

"...near identical to Dyneema." But they don't tell you what it is actually made of and it's breaking strength is listed at 12,500 lbs.

!/2 Inch Dyneema has a 31,000 lb breaking strength. Most 8-10k lb winches that use Dyneema use 3/8 inch with a 19k lb breaking strength.

Not that the rope from TuffStuff is bad, but it certainly isn't "...near identical to Dyneem." other then being a long molecule polymer rope.

Mike

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Traveler is one of those few companies that tends to make decent products that have a good mix of quality and price. Basically, you really do get what you pay for and sometimes more. I once worked at a TSC and I've never heard any serious complaints about Traveler products. Granted, most of their stuff we sold was oil and lubricants and usually in bulk so I can't say for certain how this line would hold up, but if its like most TSC products, it should hold up better than expected wear wise. Just don't exceed the weight limits and you should be fine.

frgtwn

Adventurer
I simply apply my "HF rule": don't buy anything that can kill me or others.

In spite of the growing adoration for anything synthetic, the well proven, trusted brands are going to be my choice. Common experience has its limitations, as failures are likely to be rare, however they can also be devastating. I'll leave that to ones who think that $200 saved on a simple "rope" has merit.

Dale

plh

Explorer
This is the kind of note that makes me question what you are buying. From the TuffStuff ad.

"...near identical to Dyneema." But they don't tell you what it is actually made of and it's breaking strength is listed at 12,500 lbs.

!/2 Inch Dyneema has a 31,000 lb breaking strength. Most 8-10k lb winches that use Dyneema use 3/8 inch with a 19k lb breaking strength.

Not that the rope from TuffStuff is bad, but it certainly isn't "...near identical to Dyneem." other then being a long molecule polymer rope.

Mike

I didn't think this was going to turn into a discussion about the plus and minus of various brands of winch line. SK-75 or not. So in general the TSC product is probably even more "junk" than the "TuffStuff". Because it doesn't even give the generic material name.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Rather than wonder about what you are putting on there, you can buy Synthetic line (Amsteel Blue Dyneema SK-75) by the foot from arborist and marine suppliers. They carry it cheaper that way (Around $2 a foot for 3/8", maybe even cheaper if you find the right places) You can also buy Cordura sleeve by the foot and install as much or as little of that as you like. This is how I ultimately went after shopping extensively for line.

An added plus is you need to know how, or if you know how, practice, making a splice to install your thimble (same principle if adding a thimble or splicing), why not practice by assembling your line on the winch, instead of figuring it out or re-learning from scratch in a recovery situation after something snaps. For this reason, and cost, I dislike pre-assembled line kits.

I also don't use a tab to attach the line to the drum. Tension on the wraps is all that holds mine on. This keeps the drum smooth, no tab to cut on the line after the next layer gets over it under tension. If you let too much line out, it will just fall off, not fool you into thinking it's on there, then pulling the line out of that tab creating a new problem you weren't prepared to deal with. (In my case I re-spool using only a little tape, so if it falls off I can have it back on there in a few minutes.)

I also don't use a tab to attach the line to the drum. Tension on the wraps is all that holds mine on. This keeps the drum smooth, no tab to cut on the line after the next layer gets over it under tension. If you let too much line out, it will just fall off, not fool you into thinking it's on there, then pulling the line out of that tab creating a new problem you weren't prepared to deal with. (In my case I re-spool using only a little tape, so if it falls off I can have it back on there in a few minutes.)

Thats a great idea.

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
For me, there are definitely some thing you can buy on the cheap, camp chairs, fuel, and flashlights. But when it comes to winch stuff, I don't know why you would want to cheap out on that. For the most part, when you have two "similar" products and one is priced extremely lower its because the manufacturer cut corners. Does it have UV protection? is 12,000lbs its max working weight or it break weight?

When you really need a winch, you want there to be a chance the line will snap?

fishEH

Explorer
This, exactly. My winch has saved my bacon a few times and having confidence in my gear is critical. You can be "frugal"(cheap out) on a lot of things, but recovery gear isn't one of them.

For me, there are definitely some thing you can buy on the cheap, camp chairs, fuel, and flashlights. But when it comes to winch stuff, I don't know why you would want to cheap out on that. For the most part, when you have two "similar" products and one is priced extremely lower its because the manufacturer cut corners. Does it have UV protection? is 12,000lbs its max working weight or it break weight?

When you really need a winch, you want there to be a chance the line will snap?

paranoid56

Adventurer
and if the specs come out the same, why not try it? just because its not name brand doesnt always mean its crap.

The directions that came with my Superwinch TigerShark basically says to do the exact same thing.

They stated to not sure it unless there are a minimum of 5 full wraps of line left on the drum.

So I took it one step further, after I spooled up 5 full wraps on my drum, I then spayed a little bit a bright orange PlastiDip on the line as a warning that the was at its limits and not to go further (grab an extension).

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
You can make a little loop of webbing that bridges between the 1st wrap and whatever you want your minimum wraps to be on the 1st layer.
I don't know who came up with the idea but I have always liked it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz