Traction boards / aids...

dbhost

So if anyone has noticed, there are a TON Of various traction aids on the market, traction boards, whatever you want to call them.

I have a pair of these bright yellow, ramp looking things that have a bunch of pyramid shapes all over the tops, and bottoms that have weird wedge shapes that look like the bottoms of 1980s running shoes. And while they work, they are short length wise, tall height wise, and skinny side to side. They help but only marginally.

I am wondering what sort of traction aid I can deploy that will pack up nicely, or at least stow nicely locked to the side of a camper, and be truly effective, all without being stupid expensive.

What are you folks using and how well do you like them?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I do the amazon ones. They were like $50 and had mostly good reviews. I went with these because they were not absurdly priced and I could get them next day with Prime. Used once and worked just fine. If they break or get lost/stolen it's only $50. Might be too large if you're looking for a compact set but these could be mounted on roof or side of camper.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
You said the current yellow pair work marginally? In what circumstances?
What type vehicle and what types of hazards do you typically run into?
Much to choose from, sand, snow, mud, strong enough to bridge if needed?

dbhost

I do the amazon ones. They were like $50 and had mostly good reviews. I went with these because they were not absurdly priced and I could get them next day with Prime. Used once and worked just fine. If they break or get lost/stolen it's only $50. Might be too large if you're looking for a compact set but these could be mounted on roof or side of camper.

LOL, one of the reasons I asked is there are hundreds of options in the $50.00 to $70.00 range on Amazon.

I was thinking about 2 pairs of the Ayleid Recovery Traction Boards. With some sort of locking mechanism to lock them to the either the camper itself, or the Safari roof rack on the truck... https://amzn.to/3cG4V5c

71v5HWwVfhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I just don't know if they are any good or not...

I just know the Yellow ones I have are just, well. unworkable.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I use the 'Marston mat' type shown on the left in that picture above. They store well and can be used for a table or seating, unlike Matrax or the like. Actual Marston mats are really heavy, these are aluminum. The fiberglass mats splinter and leave shards to get caught in your hands.
Prefer things that do double duty if I am going to be carrying around anything.

OllieChristopher

I have the lightweight X-Bulls from Amazon mounted on my bed extender. My rig is 2wd and pretty light compared to other full size trucks. I don't see a situation where the expensive ones are going to be any better for my application. I have managed to get my truck into most places a 4wd can go and it is going to be much better in the sand due to lack of weight. Also being a 15 year old truck I'm not concerned with scratches and scrapes like some of these overlanders with 50K + rigs.

7B39FFA9-962B-460D-B086-AEF28CC42C0A.jpeg

I’ve used, and watched others use, various different types/brands over the years. The only ones that have worked consistently well for me are…Maxtrax. Yes, stupidly expensive. But when you’re trying to recover your overloaded 3/4-ton, small tire, longbed pickup…priceless. And no matter the brand you use, be sure to attach a leash to each board, especially in mud and/or sand.

geojag

Go-Treads pack up small, two will fit in a milk crate with room to spare. They are tough and I have had good success with them in sand/mus/snow. They do not have bridging capacity. I use them more for leveling than anything else, so multi use.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
So i bought a set of the Amazon cheapies purely for use at the beach to park our heavy rig (excursion) on top of. Caveat that we have several "hardcore" offroad rigs(defender, Humvee) and know how to use equipment. The quality and usability of these cheapies is SEVERELY lacking compared to Actiontrax for example.

We picked up a set of Actiontrax for cheap and would never recommend the cheap versions.

OllieChristopher

Caveat that we have several "hardcore" offroad rigs(defender, Humvee) and know how to use equipment. The quality and usability of these cheapies is SEVERELY lacking compared to Actiontrax for example.

I can understand for sure not to use the cheap ones on heavy rigs. My truck is a feather compared to a Humvee or Excursion. The reality is I hope to not ever need these devices to get me unstuck. I make every effort to access the trail ahead before proceeding.

These overland rigs that are loaded down and weighing in close to double of mine require a whole different setup in order to move over terrain that mine will easily traverse without the use of a winch/traction aids/jack/snatch strap etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior