Traction Board / Shovel Mounting equipment for Crossbars?

ehg

Hey All -

I'd really love to start carrying around a shovel and some Max Trax. I don't want a roof rack, because I have factory crossbars that can come in and out in 2 minutes and I'd like to be able to take everything off when I don't need it.

Anyone know who makes something that'll easily mount some max trax and maybe a shovel to some cross bars? I'm not a fabricator, or else it sounds like it'd be something pretty easy to make...

Thanks!

2.ooohhh

Depends on the crossbars profile, are the factory bars? If so what make model and year of vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rnArmy

Adventurer
Here you go - this is easy. If you can drill a hole, this'll work. I'll use my truck and some X-Bulls I've got to demonstrate what I did. First measure the distance between the mounting holes on your board at each end, and see if you can space the crossbars on your roof the same distance. Mine were 24" apart on center on the inside holes, so I was good. Mine also have holes on the very ends, which would have made the distance about 40" apart.

I used 2" long fully threaded 1/4 bolts, and covered them with 1/4 " ID vacuum hose. 1/4" ID vacuum line rubber caps would make a neater finish (if you do, get tall vacuum caps; they can always be cut shorter). There's only about 1" of threaded bolt showing above the nut in my set-up. If your crossbars are thicker, you might want a little longer bolt (or just have less thread showing above the crossbar - as long as it captures the bottom board like in the fifth picture, you're good). The upside down U-bolt is optional. The second picture shows with and without the rubber vacuum line.

Measure twice, drill once. Get the boards and shovel exactly where you want them (front-to-back, & side-to-side), and then mark the crossbars with a sharpie. Remove crossbars and drill holes, mount nuts/bolts, cover with vacuum line or caps, mount Quick Fists (mentioned later), and reattach crossbars.

MaxTrax and X-Bulls (and most other boards) will nest on top of each other, so you don't need really long bolts. I then just strap them down as shown. Another option is to use longer bolts that are taller than the stacked boards, and to run a metal strap over the bolts (with holes drilled for the strap to slide over the bolts) and use wingnuts to clamp them down (my only concern is the wingnuts might work themselves loose bouncing down the road).

For the shovel, a pair of Quick Fists work nicely. They mount with one 1/4 bolt each (on mine 1.25" long? I forget) - 6th picture. The Quick Fists cost about $10.00 a pair, and if you can't find them locally, they're on Amazon (don't get the mini ones - they'll work, but I'd get the next larger size as shown in the picture below).

MaxTrax are about $300/pair; X-Bulls are about $75/pair. I got two pair (four boards), so ~$600 + vs. ~$150 +/-. Just sayin'.

I also have a roof-rack on my TJ, and can mount the X-Bulls and shovel the same way.

Attachments

• 20200912_103812.jpg
    20200912_103812.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 74
  • 20200912_103432.jpg
    20200912_103432.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
  • 20200912_103519.jpg
    20200912_103519.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
  • 20200912_103618.jpg
    20200912_103618.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 77
  • 20200912_103930.jpg
    20200912_103930.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 83
  • 20200912_105105.jpg
    20200912_105105.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 86
  • 20200912_105248.jpg
    20200912_105248.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 84
  • 20200912_105410.jpg
    20200912_105410.jpg
    651.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Quick Fist.PNG
    Quick Fist.PNG
    280.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Shovel and boards.2.jpg
    Shovel and boards.2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
I finally got around to replacing the pieces of vacuum line with some 1/4" ID vacuum line caps. Looks a little better. They were slightly too long, so I cut about 1/8" off the ends of each one. You can see the difference in the pictures (I replaced the last remaining one after I took the picture). I bought a box of about 25 vacuum caps from Amazon for just a few dollars. Fastenal might have them too if you have one close to you.

We recently came back from taking the truck to Glacier, MT. While we didn't see any snow, I felt better having the traction boards and shovel with the truck, and since we had a bunch of stuff in the back of the truck, it was nice having the boards and shovel out of the way. The truck gets lousy gas mileage anyways, so I don't think it really affected the gas mileage with them being on the roof.

Now that we're back, the traction boards and shovel are back on the Jeep.

Truck.1.jpg

Roof rack truck.1.jpgroof rack truck.2.jpg

Last edited:

NOTNSUV

Here you go - this is easy. If you can drill a hole, this'll work. I'll use my truck and some X-Bulls I've got to demonstrate what I did. First measure the distance between the mounting holes on your board at each end, and see if you can space the crossbars on your roof the same distance. Mine were 24" apart on center on the inside holes, so I was good. Mine also have holes on the very ends, which would have made the distance about 40" apart.

I used 2" long fully threaded 1/4 bolts, and covered them with 1/4 " ID vacuum hose. 1/4" ID vacuum line rubber caps would make a neater finish (if you do, get tall vacuum caps; they can always be cut shorter). There's only about 1" of threaded bolt showing above the nut in my set-up. If your crossbars are thicker, you might want a little longer bolt (or just have less thread showing above the crossbar - as long as it captures the bottom board like in the fifth picture, you're good). The upside down U-bolt is optional. The second picture shows with and without the rubber vacuum line.

Measure twice, drill once. Get the boards and shovel exactly where you want them (front-to-back, & side-to-side), and then mark the crossbars with a sharpie. Remove crossbars and drill holes, mount nuts/bolts, cover with vacuum line or caps, mount Quick Fists (mentioned later), and reattach crossbars.

MaxTrax and X-Bulls (and most other boards) will nest on top of each other, so you don't need really long bolts. I then just strap them down as shown. Another option is to use longer bolts that are taller than the stacked boards, and to run a metal strap over the bolts (with holes drilled for the strap to slide over the bolts) and use wingnuts to clamp them down (my only concern is the wingnuts might work themselves loose bouncing down the road).

For the shovel, a pair of Quick Fists work nicely. They mount with one 1/4 bolt each (on mine 1.25" long? I forget) - 6th picture. The Quick Fists cost about $10.00 a pair, and if you can't find them locally, they're on Amazon (don't get the mini ones - they'll work, but I'd get the next larger size as shown in the picture below).

MaxTrax are about $300/pair; X-Bulls are about $75/pair. I got two pair (four boards), so ~$600 + vs. ~$150 +/-. Just sayin'.

I also have a roof-rack on my TJ, and can mount the X-Bulls and shovel the same way.

Great question from the OP and very timely for me. I just picked up 2 pairs of X-Bulls for my '99 XJ that has a factory RR and crossbars. Looking hard at roof baskets/racks (JCR) for big bucks but I knew the OEM stuff work with a little ingenuity - from someone else. I had all this in mind but why re-invent when you've already done it. Thanks for saving me some cash! Now I have another project to keep me out of the wife's hair and I'll be dialed in for some trail rides.
One question: Was the hardware that came with your X-Bulls useful for this install on the crossbars?
I'm thinking of using maybe nutserts instead of bolt through on the crossbars.

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
No hardware came with my X-Bulls. All the mounting hardware I used I purchased separately. An easy project.

NOTNSUV

Fortunately, they are supplying mounting hardware now. Both kits I bought recently had it included. I'm thinking they copied what you've done here.
All-thread with jam nuts, washers and the hand twist black knobs with black plastic plates to tie the holes on each end together. I just finished installing the first set on my OEM roof rack on the XJ. Saved me a long round-trip to the hardware store.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Interesting. Please post pics of the hardware separately and as mounted.

Do the knobs have a hole all the way through? I guess if enough allthread poked through, you could drill a small hole at the end for a clevis pin. I guess I'm (overly) concerned about the knobs vibrating loose.

Last edited:

NOTNSUV

Interesting. Please post pics of the hardware separately and as mounted.

Do the knobs have a hole all the way through? I guess if enough allthread poked through, you could drill a small hole at the end for a clevis pin. I guess I'm (overly) concerned about the knobs vibrating loose.

Already installed so no pics pre.. No, the knobs are not drilled through but I like your idea of a pin added. They do tighten down hard on the boards if adjusted properly, but still..
Just drilled through the OEM crossbar for the all-thread to fit through, adjusted the topside length so plates and knobs fit tight.

For pictures.

Typical for me, I just installed the way I could figure out (no instructions). Then I look at the link above and see how it's supposed to be done. The spacers that go on top had me stumped.. lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles