Toyota Tacoma Short Bed DC and FWC Finch

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Answered my own question the flat bed fleet model was designed for short bed Tacoma it does have an 80inch floor span. So really its no different regarding that over hang than the standard set up with the stock bed. Looking at the photos of the rear dinette it also looks very possible to rig up a creative simple bunk platform for kids in that rear dinette space. For sure interesting option. Now I just need to get our camping program ramped up so the wife can be sold on the idea of upgrading from a basic tent trailer to a big boy camping rig ;-)

The Fleet (flatbed or standard) and the Eagle are all designed for the longbed Tacoma. Although I have seen an Eagle and a Fleet on the shortbed, it hangs out from the bed 18" and looks way too big in my opinion. There is a rental company in Peru that rents out a Toyota (Hilux I think)/Eagle package, but they appear to have added a tubular extension to handle the overhang. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjzD1LRGlH8 - see 2:02 minutes into the video for the best image of the tube extension and the way it sticks out over the back of the bed.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The Fleet (flatbed or standard) and the Eagle are all designed for the longbed Tacoma. Although I have seen an Eagle and a Fleet on the shortbed, it hangs out from the bed 18" and looks way too big in my opinion. There is a rental company in Peru that rents out a Toyota (Hilux I think)/Eagle package, but they appear to have added a tubular extension to handle the overhang. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjzD1LRGlH8 - see 2:02 minutes into the video for the best image of the tube extension and the way it sticks out over the back of the bed.

Possibly though the FWC site actually states that they set it up for the short bed probably given how they can shift all the heavy internal items to the front portion of the camper with the lighter settee in the back half etc. I'm not as picky about the look all flat beds look a tad utility focused anyway. LOL - The 2016 MT option may be nicer for the Taco over the prior 6spd version so it could be an attractive option pending how well Toyota reworked the 6spd MT. They did say in the release that they had reworked it to address many of the complaints and durability issues. I'm OK with the AT but getting the MT would be interesting if done right. And it seems toyota only really offers it in the short bed version.

DVexile

Adventurer
Quick question and sorry if this has been asked already: I really like the Pyrite Myca color and that's the color I want if I get a Taco. When I go to the build site I cant choose that color for a DCSB OR. Did you custom order the color or was it on the lot? I see it's an option for a DCLB but I'm not sure I want a LB. Truck and camper combo looks beautiful. Nice work!

The Toyota build site limits what you can choose based on inventory available I your geographic region. But often it isn't that accurate. So best to contact a dealer, they can see if there is something in the area with the color and options you want and if not can order one. You can't just order anything, it has to be a build "close" to something already allocated. But TRD OR DCSB trucks are a very popular config so I suspect you'd have little trouble ordering one in your color.

Be aware last allocations for 2015 coming up in May. After that it will just be what shows up on the lot until the 3rd gen 2016s arrive in Aug/Sept. So hurry up and decide if you want a 2nd or 3rd gen because it may be harder to get exactly what you want in a 2nd gen in a few months.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The Toyota build site limits what you can choose based on inventory available I your geographic region. But often it isn't that accurate. So best to contact a dealer, they can see if there is something in the area with the color and options you want and if not can order one. You can't just order anything, it has to be a build "close" to something already allocated. But TRD OR DCSB trucks are a very popular config so I suspect you'd have little trouble ordering one in your color.

Be aware last allocations for 2015 coming up in May. After that it will just be what shows up on the lot until the 3rd gen 2016s arrive in Aug/Sept. So hurry up and decide if you want a 2nd or 3rd gen because it may be harder to get exactly what you want in a 2nd gen in a few months.

From what I have read on the tacoma threads the 16's didn't really see anything major regarding exterior or suspension changes but the big changes was apparently re working the front drive system to get rid of a wobble effect not sure what that was but apparently some well honed Tacoma guys knew exactly what it was and sounded like they were glad to hear it was being addressed, toyota actually had an engineer talk about what it was and what they did. The modern 3.5L v6 which will be a big question mark regarding performance and fuel economy. And Toyota has said they reworked the MT given all the issues they had with the prior gen 6spd MT. Those seemed to be the major points of the 2016 update. As far as I could tell

Keyne

Adventurer
Love your setup. What about the weight of the camper and the Taco load ratings, insurance, etc. seems perfect except the light cargo capacity of the Taco. I am torn. Any concerns about weight?

Last edited:

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Love your setup. What about the weight of the camper and the Taco load ratings, insurance, etc. seems perfect except the light cargo capacity of the Taco. I am torn. Any concerns about weight?

Not really. i think my setup is handling the weight very well. I would like to see the difference between a Deaver, or similar custom leaf pack, and my current OME with the extra leaf. I sent OME distributor an inquiry about putting in an extra add-a-leaf (to the one I already installed), or if the next step was to a custom leaf, but there response was simply the "add-a-leaf such and such number is designed to fit the OME Dakar spring set" - did not answer my question. Doing some more research so we'll see.

I think you certainly think more about the amount of stuff you bring along - compared with loading up a Dodge 3500 or similar Ford product - but I think when it comes down to it there are many things we pack but never use. I've been trying to make separate piles when I'm unloading upon my return. I have the used pile, the did not used pile, and then I break the latter down to not used but needed (tire repair kit for example) and the not used and not sure when I would ever use it. Or the not used because I had too many (don't need 10 shirts, pants, etc., for a week long trip as I can do laundry along the way)

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Not really. i think my setup is handling the weight very well. I would like to see the difference between a Deaver, or similar custom leaf pack, and my current OME with the extra leaf. I sent OME distributor an inquiry about putting in an extra add-a-leaf (to the one I already installed), or if the next step was to a custom leaf, but there response was simply the "add-a-leaf such and such number is designed to fit the OME Dakar spring set" - did not answer my question. Doing some more research so we'll see.

I think you certainly think more about the amount of stuff you bring along - compared with loading up a Dodge 3500 or similar Ford product - but I think when it comes down to it there are many things we pack but never use. I've been trying to make separate piles when I'm unloading upon my return. I have the used pile, the did not used pile, and then I break the latter down to not used but needed (tire repair kit for example) and the not used and not sure when I would ever use it. Or the not used because I had too many (don't need 10 shirts, pants, etc., for a week long trip as I can do laundry along the way)

Have you thought about flipping the upper overload? I have heard of others doing this as the "next step". Normal install has this upper overload with a negative arch. Flipping it over engages it much earlier. If that doesn't do what you want I would go to a custom leaf pack. I would have given more thought to a custom leaf pack but I don't know what the weight will be and I need something ready to go when the camper is done, to get me through summer and fall at least.

Here are a couple pictures I grabbed from someone else. I don't believe this pack has the add a leaf. So with the add a leaf (unloaded) I think you'd have a little more space before the overload is engaged.

Normal stack up...

Inverted upper overload...

No doubt it will be stiffer unloaded but if you're leaving the camper on it may be very helpful.

Last edited:

Camelfilter

Explorer
Don't know if these are options for your trucks: airbags or road master active suspension (RAS).

I've firestone bags on my Titan, but am going to give RAS a try shortly, however my load is also much lower. I figure my fully loaded weight (with flippac) at around 600lbs. Adding in my armor brings it up to around 900, but that 300 is spread around (front & rear bumpers + sliders).

The airbags work as intended (I do have a slow leak at a fitting, just haven't gotten around to fixing it). My concern with the bags (only) is tearing one offroad, then having to "limp" home.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
I've used the airbags and have not been impressed. I can understand some instances where they might be helpful, but I just am not interested in going down that road again.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Side note if your back north again I just discovered a new Ca state campground near Santa Cruz. Called Little Basin St Park. Its about 2 miles from Big Basin which books up solid as soon as people start thinking spring and summer. Former HP employee retreat about 550 acres. I booked a site Mid April for a quick local weekend trip with the kids. Anyway put it in your notes if your trying to locate a spot near Santa Cruz.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Side note if your back north again I just discovered a new Ca state campground near Santa Cruz. Called Little Basin St Park. Its about 2 miles from Big Basin which books up solid as soon as people start thinking spring and summer. Former HP employee retreat about 550 acres. I booked a site Mid April for a quick local weekend trip with the kids. Anyway put it in your notes if your trying to locate a spot near Santa Cruz.

Great, I'll keep that one in mind.

Just did a few days camping in Pismo. Nice on Sunday night when half the people left. Here's a pic of our last night camp.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Were headed back north and stopping for a swing on the beach this weekend. Spent the week in La Jolla Tennis / swim club on beach. Really roughing it ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94