Toyota Sunrader Expedition Vehicle

kcowyo

ExPo Original
That's an incredibly nice resto job. Thanks for posting that link.

I wonder where he found a Toyota 26 gallon gas tank....? The upholstery is a bit much for my tastes but overall it certainly seems well done with some nice touches. I like the flip-up tray idea too.

Looks like it's going to bring a premium price.... :lurk:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Too cool!

Can you imaging how cool that would look with a very mild lift, an ARB Bullbar & winch, a Safari Snorkel, and some black wheels and more aggressive tires. What a neat rig... I can think of alot of terrain in Southern Utah that a rig like that would dominate and with comfort to boot! :cool:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
cruiseroutfit said:
Too cool!

Can you imaging how cool that would look with a very mild lift, an ARB Bullbar & winch, a Safari Snorkel, and some black wheels and more aggressive tires. What a neat rig... I can think of alot of terrain in Southern Utah that a rig like that would dominate and with comfort to boot! :cool:

I imagine the 22RE is already overworked BEFORE you added all that weight:shakin:

Can't you wait to install that stuff until AFTER the motor swap:D

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Sweet rig! Absolute perfection. Yep like Calamari said... they can't get out of their own way. Underpowered to say the least. Get ready to do 15-20mph up the mountain roads.

erod

Adventurer
what if you bored it out..exhaust, headers, k&N...i don't know...are there any efficient/feasible ways to get more power out of one of those? my buddy had a similar rig years back out here in mt. and it was sweet...33's, lift, etc. had the 4 banger but was bored like .60 over or something (?). still a dog but comfy and still got around great...i dig that rig!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
cruiseroutfit said:
I can think of alot of terrain in Southern Utah that a rig like that would dominate and with comfort to boot! :cool:

Even with the dual rear wheels?

I'm asking out of curiosity as most dualies I've seen don't seem to do very well off road. As was noted on that Bonaza built '85 Toyota awhile back, there's not a lot of room for flexing with the body against the cab. Might be an issue, might not. I still like it.

Any idea what axle is used on the old Toyota dualies?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
erod said:
what if you bored it out..exhaust, headers, k&N...i don't know...are there any efficient/feasible ways to get more power out of one of those? my buddy had a similar rig years back out here in mt. and it was sweet...33's, lift, etc. had the 4 banger but was bored like .60 over or something (?). still a dog but comfy and still got around great...i dig that rig!
It's all in the eye of the beholder. The standard 22R/-E stuff (header, cam, etc.) gives the engine a bit more punch but even the craziest of naturally aspirated 22R motor is only making about 140~150 HP. Go with a turbo or blower, things get better in a hurry, though. But personally I think the problem is a matter of perspective. Against a modern engine, sure the little 22R looks pretty low tech and underpowered. But I think when you drive it like it wants and keep off the Interstate where possible, things come into focus. Can't be afraid to let it rev and it's not unhappy turning 2500 to 4000 RPM to pull you through. For me there is no other engine, I like the little motor for what it is (simple, reliable, easy to work on, common part availability). A lot of this is because I'm getting to understand how they work and so I think fully knowing your engine inside and outside trumps most anything. But really in the end, adapting our style to the strong suit of the 22R-E has been the most important move. We take 2 lanes and side roads, learned to slow down, take our time, stop often and unwind and we've been rewarded. The happiest 22R drivers are the ones taking their time and enjoying the journey. Whenever I get a chance to drive it (getting rarer and rarer every year), I am happy and relaxed.

erod

Adventurer
dave, great perspective, with the supercharged v6 and the 7.3 L diesel (work) i forget to slow down and chill sometimes. i agree though...its all in the eye of the beholder and learning the ins/outs/limits/etc. of your motor...priceless.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
kcowyo said:
Any idea what axle is used on the old Toyota dualies?
I wasn't aware that Toyota dualie axles came on 4WD trucks often, but being that the Sunrader was very custom, I'm sure they were added later (unless they are not really full floating axles, in which case they might be tandem wheel adapters only). The true 2wd 1-ton tandew axles I've seen use an 8" diff and pretty similar to a regular 4WD axle, just with full floating hubs and 6 lug wheels and 30 spline axles like 4WD. The first (around 1977) Toyota "1-ton" axles were 5-lug 2WD units with tandem wheel adapters. These are not true 1-ton axles and are semi-floating like the regular axles. Around 1984-85, Toyota built a 5-lug 1-ton full floating axle (I don't know if it's 7.5" or 8" diff or whether or not they are 27 or 30 spline axles). Later, about 1986-87, Toyota permanently switched to 6-lug hub up until 1993 when they got out of the RV chassis market for good. In all cases a true 1-ton axle would be a full floating design.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior