Toyota owners: I'm looking to switch, and am willing to be convinced!

rickashay

Explorer
First off, what's your budget? I skimmed your first post so I apologize if I missed it. You said you will be DD'ing the vehicle, what difficulty level of offroading do you plan on doing? How many people are in your family that will be using these rigs?

Ok. Doing some research, it seems that the 3.4l in the 4Runner is a "legendary" Toyota engine. In the LC

IMO the 3.4 5VZE is a legendary engine. I used to drive a 3rd Gen 4Runner (96-2002) and it was bulletproof. Fairly gutless but bulletproof. The following gen 4Runners (03-09) had the 4.0L V6 and a 2UZ 4.7L V8 option. Both are excellent motors. I have the 2UZ in my 04' Tundra and absolutely love the motor. It is bulletproof but the starter is in a bad location admittedly and makes it a difficult item to service in the field. Also has weak rods if your thinking of boosting it with a TRD S/C (not that you would need to to S/C one...) unlike the 3.4L that can take a TRD SC no problem. In stock form though the rods will be fine and it's got ample power.

I just sold my 97' LX450 (FZJ80) as it was a pig on fuel, required a lot of upkeep, and really was the most gutless 4x4 I've ever owned. Don't get me wrong, it was a bulletproof vehicle but there are a lot of PM items that require attention and they are fairly expensive to get replacement parts for. VERY capable though (especially if you land one with F/R E-lockers) and have a pretty cool cult following.

If the trails you are planning on doing aren't super tight or rated high on the difficulty scale, I would seriously look at a 100 series. Bombproof and you get the 4.7L V8. It is a BIG vehicle thought and runs a torsion bar IFS suspension in the front which won't articulate like some of the other options.

The 4Runners were still built in Japan (same with the LC's) and the build quality is high. 3rd Gen's are a little underpowered, an awesome size for 2 people, and are relatively cheap nowadays. They have a coilover IFS in the front which will open up a few more suspension options there.

The 4th Gen 4Runners (03-09) grew in size over the 3rd Gen, but you got more powerful motor options as said above. They don't look as nice IMO but thats not for me to decide. Also have coilover IFS and some nice electronic ad ons like A-TRAC. No rear lockers though.

Goes back to my first set of questions, budget and number of occupants. I'd pick up a clean 99' 4Runner for a DD in a second if you only need room for 2. Get one with the E-locker in the rear and the AWD T-Case. If your packing for a family and need a lot more room, go for the 100 Series. If you like the looks of the 4th Gen and you want more power than the 3rd Gen can offer, you have your answer there!

Arktikos

Explorer
So, I'm considering switching brands to one which is more common, easier to work on, and hopefully has fewer problems than the Mitsubishis. I'm considering the late-90s to early '00s Landcruisers, which seem to be the closest match to our Monteros...

No, I'd say Land Cruisers are not common and less of a match for a Montero than the 4runner would be. Try driving the models you're interested in to get a sense of what you'd like. The LC V-8 engine found in the years you're looking at is not easy to work on, from what I've heard. Big bucks, bad MPG but they are nice, tank like rides. 4runner is a more practical choice, but either way you're not likely to be disappointed.

TXLX

Observer
It's worth noting that the same question posed here and the Nissan forum have gotten multiple responses; not a peep from the Jeep forum folks. Maybe they're embarrassed? ;)

Honestly, if you plan on spending significant time in whatever you buy, go drive a land cruiser, an xterra/pathfinder, and a jeep. And consider what you can sell it for if you don't plan on keeping for the long term. I can sell my 100 today for what I laid for it 4 years ago.

TXLX

Observer
No, I'd say Land Cruisers are not common and less of a match for a Montero than the 4runner would be. Try driving the models you're interested in to get a sense of what you'd like. The LC V-8 engine found in the years you're looking at is not easy to work on, from what I've heard. Big bucks, bad MPG but they are nice, tank like rides. 4runner is a more practical choice, but either way you're not likely to be disappointed.

The UZ v8 doesn't really need to be worked on outside preventative maintenance which is nearly all on the front of the engine and manageable (timing belt, water pump, pulleys, etc). It does cost money to maintain, definitely more than a 4runner, but it's more vehicle.

The_Dude

Adventurer
I have only had one Land Cruiser. My 1997 80 series. I had two first gen Tacomas and they were tough as nails. My sister has a 3rd gen 4runner. Bought at 80k, now at 215k+ solid vehicle. My 80 has been super reliable. The maintenance costs are a little higher than that of my Tacomas but not that much. Don't let the masses scare you on ownership costs on these. I bought mine for 8k with 113k on it 3 years ago. It now has 143k and I have done 99% of the maintenance myself. It was daunting at first because I read into the interweb horror stories, but it was learning curve and I do not consider it harder to work on than any other vehicle of this vintage. Its nut and bolts mostly, and attention to detail. You can kill an anvil with a rubber mallet if you try hard enough. Old vehicles require maintenance, if you want turnkey and drive get a 100, if you want something with character and dont mind turning a wrench and learning about the vehicle get an 80. If I were to do it again I may go 100 series, but there is just something old school Toyota and special to the 80 series that really talks to me.

98 SNAKE EATER

Adventurer
Have you considered a GX470/Prado/120?

Not as big as a 100, but has the same V8 power, seats 7 and still extremely capable :)

2009_lexus_gx_470-pic-50206.jpeg

Similar in size, more luxurious, seats 7, V8 power and extremely capable off road :cool:

And when it comes time to mod, there's not much you can't do with them ;)

arctic_trucks_toyota_land_cruiser_prado_at44_5.jpg

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Have you considered a GX470/Prado/120?

Not as big as a 100, but has the same V8 power, seats 7 and still extremely capable :)

2009_lexus_gx_470-pic-50206.jpeg

Similar in size, more luxurious, seats 7, V8 power and extremely capable off road :cool:

And when it comes time to mod, there's not much you can't do with them ;)

arctic_trucks_toyota_land_cruiser_prado_at44_5.jpg

Isn't a prado just a 4Runner?

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

GX470_Prado

Observer
Isn't a prado just a 4Runner?

Underneath basically YES... But sit in a GX470 and you will want to kick your 4runner to the curb. The Prado/GX470 have much better field view, much better seating (especially for the people in the backseat), and much quieter/smoother ride.

GrantC

Observer
Thanks everyone! I've decided to look primarily at Jeeps, largely because of the scarcity of Toyotas in the local Craigslist. I do have a search set up for 4Runners, so if one comes along I'll look at it. I decided that the LC was actually larger than I needed; until I got into one I didn't realize how big they were, remembering the two-door versions from the '60s (FJ40??)

Thanks again for the help!

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Thanks everyone! I've decided to look primarily at Jeeps, largely because of the scarcity of Toyotas in the local Craigslist. I do have a search set up for 4Runners, so if one comes along I'll look at it. I decided that the LC was actually larger than I needed; until I got into one I didn't realize how big they were, remembering the two-door versions from the '60s (FJ40??)

Thanks again for the help!

Maybe that should show you something. Everyone wants to keep the Toyotas and realize what a pile heeps are and want to get rid of them.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
If u find a 5speed 96-00 4runner test drive it. That will sell you.

Eh he already bought a jeep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior