Toyota guy looking at making a switch to a LR

samuelashirley

Observer
Hi All,

I think I want a Land Rover.. possibly LR3 or Disco II. I love my tacoma, but its just so.. blehh and boring.

Some back story - Im 23 I work at Dell in Austinn Texas, and am moving to Colorado in a year or so for the GF (future wife's) job. We love camping, and exploring and when I bought my tacoma we were introduced to the world of Overlanding. Sure I've done some harder wheeling and pushed my truck at OHV parks but our true love is exploring, camping, and enjoying the beautiful outdoors. All of my friend have 90s / early 2000s toyotas, we go to Toyota Jamboree together and have a lot of fun, but the truth is; few Toyota people enjoy overlanding, most, want to drink cheep beer and wheel the **** out of their solid axel tacoma. A lot of toyota people are cool, don't get me wrong, but a lot are just a little more country...

My passion is exploring with friends, great conversations around a campfire, sharing stories of adventure and being grateful for each day we are given.

My current truck - a 2000 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 with, wait for it, 403,000 miles..(That I bought for $2000) On the original engine and gearbox. Power steering is broken and the check engine light is always on. Its extremely loud, road noise, wind noise, doors that dont really shut. BUT, It gets me to work every morning, and to the outdoors every weekend. I have been working on it for the past 200k or so miles and I have owned it the past 70k. Before I worked on this truck all I could do was change the oil, now, I have replaced the front main seal, minor electrical work, lift, suspension, and a few other minor things either by myself or with a friends help. The truck has never been to a shop. It blows my mind with its off-road capability, open / open diffs, and I have done hard level 4s and easy 5s at OHV parks, Ive pulled out a 2500 chevy, and run circles around new Tacoma's. But as all of you know, its about knowing you vehicle and that truck, I know VERY well.

But at the end of the day, its so practical, predictable, and boring.. there is no passion.

I see a modded disco or LR3 and I just dream of owning one. All of my toyota friends think its a terrible idea, but what do you expect? Adventure does not exist until something goes wrong.

Another major reason is safety, my tacoma has TERRIBLE crash ratings.. i know this isn't what most of you think about, but Ive been in two accidents myself, (t-boned a 5 series at 60 in a volvo s40, walked away unharmed, thanks to airbags) I also recently had a friend pass away from an accident, which (probably) could have been avoided by side curtain air bags...

What I am looking for, to spend around 25ish thousand to get a function build started, we all know builds never actually finish. I have looked at V8 LR3 with 60-70k miles that go for about 15k then do coils, tires, rack. I will be getting an RTT and winch this spring that would be eventually thrown on the new vehicle.

OR

A disco II for 5, and work to replace all necessary parts then add, rack, tires, coils, Disco II is way more in my price range, but I am wanting to get something more comfortable than my truck. My truck beats me up so bad on long drives, its so rough and loud. Im not looking for Glamping, but I would definitely like an upgrade from the harsh ride I currently have. (My ride is currently terrible due to shocks, and that I have a 4cyl 2 door, when shocks and springs are made for V6 4 doors.)

Anyway, I want to hear from you, the LR guys, why do you LOVE your truck? Any advice or reason to, or not, to move to a LR.

Yoda

sYSlDLr.jpg

LR Max

Local Oaf
Hate to be a jerk, but please search. This topic has been talked about multiple times as many people from Jeeps and Toyotas made the switch.

LR3 over D2. So much better in stock/mildly modified trim. While the LR3 is a good truck, they still have their quirks and little things go wrong. If you demand total reliability, don't even think about a rover. They will break down and cost money. However they are quite a nice ride and always make you feel good.

Also go look at a Lexus GX470 if you want plush and stupid reliability.

samuelashirley

Observer
Thanks ill search around.

I don't demand total reliability, but Im not a fan of never running.

Im torn by the GX 470 as well.

newhue

Adventurer
Samuel, I think you are on the right track. You are open to the realities of a Land Rover, know the realities of a Toyota, and are looking for something more or different. A Disco would suit you more than a LR3 regarding mechanicals. Down here a LR3 can be an expansive bit of kit to fix and there is always the fear of haywire electrics.

I have two classic Land Rover statement for you won't get from a Toyota

Land Rover, been turning owners into mechanics since 1948

One Life..Live it..

nick325i

Adventurer
In my experience LRs aren't unreliable if you do your homework and stay on top of the maintanance. It will never be a Toyota but they are more fun for some reason.

I've had an LR4 (which I loved but needed a truck) and I currently have an RRC as an extra vehicle/trail/overland vehicle. I previously had an 88 4Runner with a 22RE has a trail rig. It refused to die but was never as capable as the RRC when both in near stock trim (3" lift and 33" mud terrains).

As mentioned above, read the many threads about both the DII and LR3. The LR3 is going to be better daily ride that's still very capable and the DII is better if you want something to bolt bumpers on, add lift springs and etc. I've had the older and newer version of both and I prefer the older, solid axles ones and some kind of other daily vehicle.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
My son has a 89 RRC. His friend, a Toyota pickup owner, rode with him and was surprised at the visibility and seating position of the RRC. He said "I can see!" There are ergonomic advantages to Rovers.

Rovers can be reliable. Like any vehicle maintenance is the key. If there was a weak link it was the Buick heritage V8 of the D1/DII's/P38's. But if built correctly last 100K's of miles.

Toyota's can be unreliable. Recall rescuing several Toyota P/U's.

newhue

Adventurer
It also seems if a Landy stops or has some mechanical issue its deemed unreliable. But if the same happens to a Tojo its just unlucky or a simple maintenance issue. Land Rover drivers seem to be able to laugh at themselves, or at the Marc as it is amazing and baffling at the same time.. Its this relationship you have with the car, and the huge extended family that give it soul.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
The short, and less costly, answer: don't do it.

Unless its a LR product with round headlights, its crap.

czenkov

Adventurer
LOL! There is more than just a bit of truth to what Redrum states...although I would add round headlights and 1948 to 1997 pre-defender and Defender platform (herewith referred to a the Defender platform for simplicities sake). I have owned RRC's and although the headlights are round, they are more complex (and have more idiosyncrasies)than the Defender platform. If you can afford it go with the Defender platform. IMHO bog simple and field repairable.
I have also owned Toyotas...in fact I have a low mileage 100 series for sale now.

newhue

Adventurer
Guessing you never actually sat in a Series or Defender, ergonomics were not exactly high on the priorities list at LR, still isn't, even new defenders are cr@p in that respect.

I disagree on this. I find my 2010 Defender excellent to drive for 5, 6, or 8 hours. Yes it's a long day but I can walk afterwards, collect fire wood, or set up camp easily. I find if the door handle rubs on the thigh, or the hand brake rubs on the calve than I am slobing. I don't fine the door card too close either and the hand brake makes for a great foot rest. I find Japanese truck quite the opposite, I get sore knees from my legs flopping outwards because all you can do is slob in them. And I find after just two hours it's hard to get out of them. Initially I found the Defender awkward and unusual to sit in because they are different to everything else on the market. But once you have got your head it they are fine, if not streets ahead. I accept each to there own however.

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
Glad you do like it :). I must have added that it's not fantastic for tall people. My left knee gets stuck between the door and steering wheel. On td5 models with manual windows if I wanted to open the window I had to reach underneath my knee with my right hand to do so. I was happy when they got electric windows. Legroom is still terrible for a tall person. I'm 6'7" more or less.
I've been a driving instructor for LR driving experience and I've seen my fair share of people who literally didn't fit behind the wheel as the seat didn't go back far enough and their belly wanted to occupy the same space as the steering wheel :). Or people that tall they could hardly get their foot of the gas and onto the brake as their leg was stuck.

newhue

Adventurer
To be honest I have just spent 10 days in a 100 series Land Cruiser. Biggest day was perhaps an hour as it was only driving it around a sand island. But my wife and i got in and thought wow, look at all the room. I can understand why they are so popular. I found it largely boring, but have to say it drove like a car instead of a tractor. Light clutch, brakes, steering, and smooth gears. A transfer box that slipped in and out at speed effortlessly. Smaller turning circle. Quiet, and good air conditioning as well. But you what, after all that it leaked. Yah it leaked, the dam toyota leaked thank god for that.
I found its barge ******** shape made it hard to get stuff on the roof. Where the straight sided box of a Defender is easy to climb, or place a ladder next to it. Visibility around the Tojo was average, didn't really know where any corner was. And the dash, big, plain, and very little space to add anything to. Still prefer my Defender however....go figure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles