Toyota 'Back to the Future' pickup

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
that hilux with the drivers side diff is trippy as hell... Definitely something custom or maybe a diff out of a Nissan or something. Totally odd...

nickw

Adventurer
Heres a couple pics of new Hilux's with 80 series landcruiser front diff conversions showing the diff centre of the 80 series diffs as being on the left hand side of the vehicle -

IMG_2406shoxinstalled.jpg

All used an 80 series front differential.

I think that steering arm on UPSIDE down is probably a good indication that Kurt is spot on.

Edit:

Or not...if you flip the axle over the steering arm is towards the back of the axle which wouldn't make sense.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I think that steering arm on UPSIDE down is probably a good indication that Kurt is spot on.

Edit:

Or not...if you flip the axle over the steering arm is towards the back of the axle which wouldn't make sense.

Actually that is in the stock location. The 80 Series uses whats called "Frombe" steering which means the tie rod is behind the axle. Additionally the 80 Series did have a bottom mount steering arm. So all that gets flipped is the axle housing, the knuckles and the balls if you will stay right where they were :D

RHINO

Expedition Leader
yeah i always thought that frombe was kinda weird on 80's. it works but i dont know if i like it.

Stealth 4x4

Adventurer
:lurk:
What I like best about the Back to the Future Tacoma is the manual transfercase. Now, that is what Tacoma’s really need. Throw the control head, encoder motor, transfer case control module and 8 lbs of wiring in the trash! That is just more crap to go wrong. :sombrero:

X3, That's why I went with the J-shift manual T-case shifter and manual locking hubs when I converted my '03Prerunner to 4wd. Never regretted that one. It would be sweet to see a 4wd Toyota offered with a SFA, Manual T-case shift and man hubs... that might be enough to convince me to buy a new rig.

jh504

Explorer
i'll try my best to insert my opinion w/o getting into the argument.

if i had my choice from toyota right now i would want a dbl cab with leaf sprung SFA and D4D diesel.

but i am a very small market, very small indeed.

Totally agree. I LOVE an SFA truck. I love the simplicity and the articulation. I just like for all 4 of my wheels to stay firmly on the ground.

Granted, for an expedition style rig, IFS works great for higher speeds on bumpy roads. I wouldnt say that it is superior by any means though.

deadbeat son

Explorer
Yeah that one threw me for a loop too.

That sentence came out totally different than I intended. I meant it was tough to distinguish SFA vs IFS from that photo. In addition, the actual BTTF truck was black and not beige as the newer BTTF concept Tacoma is. :ylsmoke:

fabjunkie

Observer
Lol...I got what you said, thought it was funny that the BTTF truck is black with no stripes and the concept is tan with stripes.

It is hard to tell from the pic on the IFS vs SFA too. If you watch the movie you can tell. I always thought it was SFA, but was kinda mad last time I watched it and it was IFS. With the way they filmed the trilogy, they may have had both though.

Skim

Explorer
That is an 85 with a SFA.

If it was IFS it would not be such a straight line between the tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles