Toyo Open Country ATII --- Anyone tried 'em?

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Looking at ordering a set in 265 75 16, load range C. Looks like they are on the lower end of the price spectrum, maybe because they are C range tires and not E's.

Has anyone tried 'em?

Are they good in snow? On gravel? Rocks?

Going to need to run them in Colorado in varying conditions, definitely snow, light to moderate off-road, and highway.

Definitely appreciate any comments.

Also, where do you get 'em? Looks like Ebay and Tread Depot are pretty much the only places. I wonder why they aren't available at Discount Tire or Tire Rack --- I always thought Toyo was a good brand...?

Watt maker

I tried them on a F150 a couple years ago. I went with 285/65/18 on that truck which is the "extreme" version of the ATII. They seem to work good in just about everything except I never really had the chance to try them in deep mud. The balanced very easily with one wheel requiring no weight, 2 wheels with only one once, and one with 2.5 onces. The were very smooth on the highway as well. Being the extreme version, they had really thick sidewalls but were also very heavy which really hurt the mpg's. The only other thing I did not care for was above 60 mph, they were very noisy like a mud terrain tire. I think that was only due to the more aggressive tread pattern on the extreme version though. A couple friends of mine who run the regular version report that they are very quiet on the freeway.

JBL13

I have a set of 235/85/16s (load range E) on my '02 standard cab Tacoma. They work well in most conditions, but significant mud will thwart them. I drive a lot of mostly dry rocky trails with them, and they've held up significantly better in terms of tread chunking (very little) and sidewall wear and tear (two minor surface cuts that I've been able to find) than any other tire I've had. I've ran first-gen Goodyear MT/Rs, two sets of DuraTracs and a set of BFG KOs previously on this truck.

Tango71

I have them and so far so good. Mine are ATII Extreme in 285/75/18 (34.8X11.2) I have only had them off road twice and they are great in various terrain. One area where they lack is the ability to crawl through muskeg/thick mud. They clog up easily because the lugs are so close together so if you are in that type of terrain all the time then maybe the MT is better. For various terrains and highway use these cant be beat! I have yet to try them in the snow/on ice so I'm looking forward to that.

Pinelogcreek

Observer
Ran them on a JKU in 285/75/17 and loved them. No problem on the wet roads or deep sand, not real impressive in deep mud but then their an a/t anyway. The wear was good and the noise minimal.

Ula"Tek

Had a set of 265/75R/16's E-Rated on a 3rd Gen 4Runner and they were great. Balanced with little to no weights, wore fairly well and weren't too loud. They handled a few trails of nothing but sharp shale and big rocks without a problem.

The only problem I ever had with them was on one road that was pure sheet ice. To be fair, only studded tires or chains would have helped it was that icy.

If I hadn't wanted to upsize and go to a set of muds I would have bought another set, I liked them that much.

CYK

Adventurer
Looking at ordering a set in 265 75 16, load range C. Looks like they are on the lower end of the price spectrum, maybe because they are C range tires and not E's.

Has anyone tried 'em?

Are they good in snow? On gravel? Rocks?

Going to need to run them in Colorado in varying conditions, definitely snow, light to moderate off-road, and highway.

Definitely appreciate any comments.

Also, where do you get 'em? Looks like Ebay and Tread Depot are pretty much the only places. I wonder why they aren't available at Discount Tire or Tire Rack --- I always thought Toyo was a good brand...?

I bought my 325/60/18 Xtreme Toyos (E-rated w/ the most aggressive tread depth/pattern) at a local tire chain called Les Schwab (PNW). Toyo's suv/truck tires compete well with any other reputable offerings like the BFG KO2s. You really can't go wrong with any of these major brand name products. Each of these mega corps have deep pockets and history to deliver quality results.

Like most luxury/toy commodities, people decide primarily on emotion. Do you like the way they look? Will people recognize what you run as a good thing? Does the tire instill confidence and trust?

I like the way the Duratrac, Xtremes, and KO2s look and clearly they've been around long enough to have satisfied tens of thousands of customers. Check. Next it came down to sizing and availability for me. IIRC the AT2 Xtremes are made in the USA (some Toyos are made in Japan). They balance well. I rotate them every 5K. Wear is par for the course. They're pretty darn quiet, but then my LC is biased toward luxury so it's been engineered to be just that.

If I stick with 33s, I'll get the Toyos, again. If I decide to re-gear and go 35s, I'll take a look at the 13" wide Duratracs and KO2s as Toyo doesn't make them in this size and width. My requirement is the 13" width.

YMMV, GL

Last edited:

cwvandy

Adventurer
I have had the AT 2 Extreme them on my built Tundra for 25,000 miles. Great on everything...except really bad mud. Spent a lot of time in Oregon, CA (Death Valley) and Utah. Good experience in all types of terrain. Air down well and have a great warranty.
Drove the Continental Divide off road this spring from Mexican boarder to Wyoming. A ton of snow, wet-everything, and mud. Lots of mud. Like 10" deep and stick to everything for 50 miles mud. Tires were great on rock, sand, gravel, dirt, snow and blacktop. Had a tendency to clog up and not clear in mud. Folks with more open tires (e.g. Toyo Mud Terrain) did better and seemed to have more control. Somehow, unlike others, ever got stuck but never had good control of vehicle either.
I would buy them again as I don't plan on spending this much time in the mud any time soon.

lhanson

Adventurer
I love mine 285/70/r17 on my 2000 Tundra. They run so well on the street. Mild noise and track straight as an arrow with no bumpy feeling like a mud terrain. They are super sticky too. I haven't had to many off road miles on mine but they handled dry rocks well and gravel roads well. I would buy them again.

Last edited:

Big mike

Adventurer
I guess I'm the only one that hated them!!!
5000 miles ....IMO they were mediocre at best. ! Had 35 12.5 18s gave them to a buddy as I did nt want to charge for rat tires !
Went and got my Nitto trail grapplers back .
Now I love my Nitto's will never run anything else !
Mike

Caduceus

Adventurer
Just bought some 3 days ago after a LOT of research. For comparison, coming from Hankook Dynapro ATM, about 55K miles on them. Mind you, this is with only about 100 miles driven.

Initial thoughts: loud hum over about 60mph; not horrible, but noticeable. Maybe b/c my Hankooks were so worn in, they were less loud?
"stickier" feel when driving - again, is this old vs new tires? No problems noted though, Tacoma handles well, brakes OK, feels maybe a little better over potholes.
Looking forward to rain and trying them out, but it mysteriously dried up. Usually we have afternoon storms this time of year. Also waiting to hit some dirt/mud after the rain and break them in.
To my eye, more "aggressive" look than the Hankook.

To be honest I had no problem w/ the Hankooks, but the 65K mile warranty was a nice selling point. Price was a wash. Truck is 98% daily driver.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Thought I would update this thread. I bought a set of these last year in a 32" size, and love them. They do make a little more noise than the Yokohama Geolandar AT's on my daily driven truck, but they are a more aggressive tire than the Geolandar AT's in my opinion. All depends what you are looking for -- I am just bought a second set of these Toyo's for my almost-beater truck because it will see more off road than my daily, and because I really like these Toyo's. I went through Discount Tire again, had them get me a set locally.

slewfoot

Outstanding tire, spent 6 weeks a year the past four years with a set of P metric 265/70s overlanding and offroading in Utah, Arizona and Colorado, never flatted. We just replaced them at 55k with the same make in E rated LT 34X11.50 and they had probably 15k of life left. Got the latest set from a web store called easy tire, being a lower selling size the local shop couldn't compete on price.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94