Toyo Open Country AT3 Snow/Ice Performance

Sinfuzz

I have a relatively lightweight 2 door JK. I’m considering tires right now and in all the sizes I like the most, the Toyo AT3 is my favorite of the choices.

TLDR: I know it has the 3 peak symbol, so it should be decent. But I’m really looking for anyone’s personal experience with snow and ice.

Im in Michigan. It gets icey and slushy. I’d also like to do some trails up north in the winter too though if it’s possible without getting winter tires.

jadmt

ignore button user
I had them on my 2018 recon in 35x11.5-17 C load and they were pretty harsh. No reason to think they would not do well in Michigan winters. I got rid of them before winter hit in Montana. You might want to give the Falken at3w a look too. I did run that in the winter and they are excellent. E load Falken is smoother than the C load Toyo.

Kolockum

Adventure Nut
I have run them on two different trucks (Dakota and Tacoma) and have never been 100% happy with them in the winter. I seemed to slide around a lot more in the winter than my friends with similar rigs. This fall I went with Cooper AT3 XLT and really like them. They feel a lot more planted in the slush, but they are also brand new. I don't have much experience with them on ice yet.

GoinBoardin

Observer
These came out in March, so pretty new. Not sure if the above poster (post 3) realizes that?

I bought a set in July, they're on my old half ton Ford flatbed. I'm in Wyoming, our first snow storm was early September. The tires have been good. They work very well in fresh snow. I don't think they do quite as well on ice as the Falken at3w they replaced. I changed sizes too though, went from 235/85R16 to 285/75R16, so that may be a factor. I do prefer the Toyo off road, like the 3 ply sidewall, and they are much better in mud. On road, the Falken is slightly quieter. Both are solid tires. If main goal is ice traction, Falken. I think I'd go Toyo if more value is placed on off-road performance & toughness. Otherwise, best deal would be my deciding factor.

Sinfuzz

Hoping before I end up making my decision I can find some more input. I have found reviews and some really recent (obviously) reviews involving snow/ice. Reviews so far are pretty wildly mixed when it specifically comes to winter performance. Bumming me out since it's one of 2 35x11.50s (the biggest size I want to go) and it's even relatively lightweight.

jadmt

ignore button user
Hoping before I end up making my decision I can find some more input. I have found reviews and some really recent (obviously) reviews involving snow/ice. Reviews so far are pretty wildly mixed when it specifically comes to winter performance. Bumming me out since it's one of 2 35x11.50s (the biggest size I want to go) and it's even relatively lightweight.
if you want the 35x11.5-17 it will be a good choice. it runs a bit small for a 35, especially a Toyo 35. Surprisingly enough a falken at3w in 255/80-17 is not all that much shorter. 0D0FBB53-2D3B-4847-8302-1CE693C7FD38.jpeg

jadmt

ignore button user
the falkens next to ST maxx's in 315/70-17 which were as the at3 toyos. dang I have had way too many tires...

Sinfuzz

if you want the 35x11.5-17 it will be a good choice. it runs a bit small for a 35, especially a Toyo 35. Surprisingly enough a falken at3w in 255/80-17 is not all that much shorter. View attachment 636233

Is this the 11.50? The toyo 35x11.50 shows a measurement of 34.5" vs 33.1" for the falkens. I see side by side they might be a little closer. Because of my 4.10s, I would like more height to bring my highway revs down.

jadmt

ignore button user
Is this the 11.50? The toyo 35x11.50 shows a measurement of 34.5" vs 33.1" for the falkens. I see side by side they might be a little closer. Because of my 4.10s, I would like more height to bring my highway revs down.
yes Toyo at3 35x11.5-17's C rated.

The Artisan

Adventurer
I have Toyo AT IIIs made in Japan, no use in snow but great in the rain. I have other vehicles with Cooper AT IIIs great tires as well
Kevin20210105_073823.jpg

jadmt

ignore button user
I've heard Toyo's C rating is still kind of stiff - how do you find the ride? For me, going from E Rated Coopers to C Rated BFGs was pretty night and day.
while I mentioned that in my first post. They were harsh. My Falken at3w in E rode better.

phsycle

Adventurer
Haven’t at AT3’s but almost every other popular AT tire. None are going to perform on ice. Slip-n-slide. Latest tire was ST Maxx. Good in deep snow but packed and ice, it wasn’t that great. Although you could stud them, which would solve that issue.

KO2, Duratrac, Revo’s were much more planted. I’m sure AT3’s would be better than ST Maxx as well.

If you’ve got snow/ice covered roads all winter, I’d consider a second set of wheels with snows/studs.

Sinfuzz

Haven’t at AT3’s but almost every other popular AT tire. None are going to perform on ice. Slip-n-slide. Latest tire was ST Maxx. Good in deep snow but packed and ice, it wasn’t that great. Although you could stud them, which would solve that issue.

KO2, Duratrac, Revo’s were much more planted. I’m sure AT3’s would be better than ST Maxx as well.

If you’ve got snow/ice covered roads all winter, I’d consider a second set of wheels with snows/studs.

I wish studs were an option... but no one is trying to make studs approved for Michigan. Also, as much as I’d like a second set of wheels just for winter (my wife’s car does) - only so much room around here.. Also not sure I want to run winter tires on trails up north.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles