Toyo MT 285/75r17 34x11.5

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
It is time for new tires. I am running 35x12.5 17’s now and I like them, but they wander more on the highway (90% of
my driving now) than I really like. The slightly shorter but definitely narrow 285/75 caught my attention. Is anyone else running this size and if so do you have photos?

The 35’s perform and look good.
7136dbaab3ebcb2dec335eaea7b18fdb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watt maker

I'm not running them yet but that size will probably be what I go with next for both 4runners. The 4th gen runs 255/80/17 ST Maxx and the 5th gen runs 285/70/17 Ridge Grapplers.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I'm not running them yet but that size will probably be what I go with next for both 4runners. The 4th gen runs 255/80/17 ST Maxx and the 5th gen runs 285/70/17 Ridge Grapplers.

I am leaning toward the ridge grapplers in a 35. How do you like them. My brother whom I don’t see often runs them on his tundra and is happy with the performance and low noise.

Last edited:

Watt maker

I am leaning ward the ridge grapplers in a 35. How do you like them. My brother whom I don’t see often runs them on his tundra and is happy with the performance and low noise.

The RG's would honestly be perfect for your driving. I have over 35k on mine and the tread is still 13/32". They are also still smooth, quiet, and do well in just about every terrain. I will probably run them again. I also run them on my tundra but I don't have many miles on that set yet.

jadmt

ignore button user
If you are looking at Toyo M/T in 285/75-17 give the Cooper ST Maxx a look as it is considerable cheaper if you live in the NW where Les Schwabb has the freaking Toyo market locked up. If doing a lot of mud the Toyo will be better but if spend a fair amount of time on pavement and forest service roads the ST Maxx is awesome and lots cheaper. the 285/75-17 vs 35 gives up less than a 1/4" of ground clearance under your pumpkins so not a real big deal. Nitto also is making the trail grappler in 35x11.5-17 now in c rated so that might be a hot tire for many of us that don't need a real truck tire.

rickashay

Explorer
I am leaning ward the ridge grapplers in a 35. How do you like them. My brother whom I don’t see often runs them on his tundra and is happy with the performance and low noise.

I've seen a few people on IG running a 35x11.5R17 Nitto Ridge Grappler. I don't think its out yet but I would expect it to be fairly soon. Great size for Toyotas who wanna run 35's.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader

I've seen a few people on IG running a 35x11.5R17 Nitto Ridge Grappler. I don't think its out yet but I would expect it to be fairly soon. Great size for Toyotas who wanna run 35's.

We ran the 36” Trail Grapplers on a 2006 Double Cab Tacoma. I was never impressed with the performance. This keeps me from getting them in a 35x11.5 17, which would be perfect. The only really issue was they weren’t siped enough compared to the Toyo MT (had on our FJ60) and Copper Stt (Back in the day on my 4Runner).

I am happy with the 35 RT’s but I missed a rotation cycle or two and now am paying the price with some light chip and NOISE. It is not as bad as the Interco SSR’s I had way back when (best no compromise tire ever). Trouble is I need to do the fire wall cut and re weld and don’t want to go wider than I am already 34.7x12.5 IIRC.

I live in Southern Florida so we have mud and sand. I do t like mud but partake occasionally. I do make it to the mountains every once in a while. I have an Auto transmission, 4.88’s, front locker, a rear LSD, and a winch. I love love love AT’s (3 sets of Nitto Terra Grappler 40-50k each), but they just don’t set the looks off like a meaty set of tires.

The 285/75/17 size is intriguing but I am deathly afraid it will look too narrow. But based on performance should do well because of the contact patch pressure.

I just don’t know.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader

We ran the 36” Trail Grapplers on a 2006 Double Cab Tacoma. I was never impressed with the performance. This keeps me from getting them in a 35x11.5 17, which would be perfect. The only really issue was they weren’t siped enough compared to the Toyo MT (had on our FJ60) and Copper Stt (Back in the day on my 4Runner).

I am happy with the 35 RT’s but I missed a rotation cycle or two and now am paying the price with some light chip and NOISE. It is not as bad as the Interco SSR’s I had way back when (best no compromise tire ever). Trouble is I need to do the fire wall cut and re weld and don’t want to go wider than I am already 34.7x12.5 IIRC.

I live in Southern Florida so we have mud and sand. I do t like mud but partake occasionally. I do make it to the mountains every once in a while. I have an Auto transmission, 4.88’s, front locker, a rear LSD, and a winch. I love love love AT’s (3 sets of Nitto Terra Grappler 40-50k each), but they just don’t set the looks off like a meaty set of tires.

The 285/75/17 size is intriguing but I am deathly afraid it will look too narrow. But based on performance should do well because of the contact patch pressure.

I just don’t know.

9ba8215f39c53f3aaf0fe147df25ed0d.png

That a fairly perfect size though

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
After much back and forth I derided to down size from the Toyo RT 35x12.5 17 (34.8x12.5) to the Toyo AT II 285/75R17 (33.9x11.3). I hope I made the right choice, they weigh 10 lbs less per tire. The Nitto TG's did not have enough siping, the RG's were stupid money for the size I wanted, as were the Toyo MT's. AT's have served me well in the past and I expect the same. I have some pre buyers remorse but I feel I made the sensible decision.

jadmt

ignore button user
After much back and forth I derided to down size from the Toyo RT 35x12.5 17 (34.8x12.5) to the Toyo AT II 285/75R17 (33.9x11.3). I hope I made the right choice, they weigh 10 lbs less per tire. The Nitto TG's did not have enough siping, the RG's were stupid money for the size I wanted, as were the Toyo MT's. AT's have served me well in the past and I expect the same. I have some pre buyers remorse but I feel I made the sensible decision.
I have run both those tires ie the RT's in 35/12.5-17 and the AT2's in 285/75-17 (and 35/12.5-17) and none are bad choices. the AT2's are better winter tires and a bit smoother on the highway. It is stupid what Toyo wants for the MT's these days.

XC mountain,

How do your tires look? Still happy with god decision? In the same boat right now and few run this size.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I have been a big fan of Toyo RT's and MT's but they are far away a top dollar tire. Even though Nitto are made in the same place I have found that their compounds are not on the same level as Toyo. I will most likely go to a 285/75 RT when I get around to a new lift, wheels, and BMC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94