Toyo has released a new tire. The Open Country A/T II.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
The Toyo AT was one of the best tires I had on my F350 except for the 24k miles I got out of them before they were worn out. Nice to see that they are addressing the tread wear. They even make them in my current size LT285/75R17 (34").

Jack

MTDewX8

Observer
I am a bit away from buying tires, but over the following year, it would be great to hear reports of how there doing.

an acutual warranty on a tires we will use and abuse will surely be nice when it comes time to buy tires.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Almost the same paltry tread life experience with my Toyo Open Country AT in 285/75R18 on my ~4T LC as locrwln/Jack stated above. 2 complete sets and the best I could do was about 22k miles. And I would have preferred to replace them at ~18k miles based on remaining tread depth (or lack of ;)). In fact my Goodyear MT/R Kevlar tires wear considerably better at an average of 32k miles...you'd expect the reverse given we're comparing an AT to an MT!

But the Toyo sidewall and casing construction is leaps and bounds tougher than my GY MT/R Kevlar's! I've puncture ruined 3-GY's over a 2 year period traveling the very same conditions/locations/trails with the same rig and have yet, knock on wood, to puncture the Toyo ATs.

So with the new redesign and tread life warranty (50k or 65k miles from Toyo depending upon size) and assuming the new AT2 version provides similar traction on snow, ice, etc. these should be an incredible all around tire.

Can't wait to hear some real world reports as I'm getting close to needing a new set of ATs on my 2nd wheel set...

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Mileage experiences are all over the map with Toyo AT's. I bought my last set of 285-75-17's from a friend who had them mounted on his cabover-carrying '05 Dodge 2500 CTD. The camper never came off and I bought them with 21K of zero rebalance/rotation. That changed with me and I got another 15K of safe miles(no wear bar) out of them.

Another friend uses them on his '07 2500 utility bed w/Phoenix camper. He regularly travels to Baja's Pacific northwest coast and airs them down to 30 psi for a good hundred miles each time. To date,no flats or sidewall issues. The truck weighs 10,700# wet.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Almost the same paltry tread life experience with my Toyo Open Country AT in 285/75R18 on my ~4T LC as locrwln/Jack stated above. 2 complete sets and the best I could do was about 22k miles. And I would have preferred to replace them at ~18k miles based on remaining tread depth (or lack of ;)). In fact my Goodyear MT/R Kevlar tires wear considerably better at an average of 32k miles...you'd expect the reverse given we're comparing an AT to an MT!

But the Toyo sidewall and casing construction is leaps and bounds tougher than my GY MT/R Kevlar's! I've puncture ruined 3-GY's over a 2 year period traveling the very same conditions/locations/trails with the same rig and have yet, knock on wood, to puncture the Toyo ATs.

So with the new redesign and tread life warranty (50k or 65k miles from Toyo depending upon size) and assuming the new AT2 version provides similar traction on snow, ice, etc. these should be an incredible all around tire.

Can't wait to hear some real world reports as I'm getting close to needing a new set of ATs on my 2nd wheel set...
I'll let you know how they work ---- once I get them.

I ordered a set, went to Discount Tire and had them mounted.
Realized the next day when CJLewis said, "what'dya get, minivan tires?" that they were the old ATs and not ATIIs...

I called the Discount store, they called Toyo and Toyo said "sorry". The ATIIs are on national back-order. I should get the correct tires in about 6 weeks and have them swapped at no charge.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
We got our first set in today and they are a very promising looking tire. If I hadnt already bought and installed the Goodyear Duratrac's I'd likely give them a shot, although Ive been very happy with the Duratracs so far.

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
We got our first set in today and they are a very promising looking tire. If I hadnt already bought and installed the Goodyear Duratrac's I'd likely give them a shot, although Ive been very happy with the Duratracs so far.
Picture?

And what size?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles