Towing with U-HAUL Auto Transporter

AlexJet

Explorer
Does anyone tow with U-HAUL Auto Transporter with their vehicle?
I was wondering if anybody used some sort of Weight Distribution System with it?
When you do relatively heavy towing the front end of the vehicle raise as rear sags under the tongue weight of the trailer. I looked on the web on what can be used as weight distribution and there are many options. On u-haul website it's not mentioned either anything about use of the weight distribution.
Any personal experience and feedback is much appreciated.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
As a car trailer, they suck. They're heavy for their size (2200 - 2300 lbs empty) and they have surge brakes which are pretty much garbage. And because of the surge brakes, you can't use most WD setups with them (and they don't have attachment points for it anyway).

java

Expedition Leader
Air lift bags inside the rear coils help immensely.

Ill second they suck *** as trailers, heavy!

AlexJet

Explorer
Yes, it's pretty heavy, 2000 lbs and brakes are not great, which they had electric over hydrolic system as I have brake controller. But for 1-2 times a year it's more economical then buying one and having paying for storage 360 days a year.
I looked online and found several Weight Distribution Systems which do work with Surge Brakes.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I've always needed one for cross country one-way trips. It has worked out cheaper to buy a car hauler new, and sell it at the other end. Last time u-haul was $900 plus a bit for the cross country and I bought a flatbed for $2300 and sold for $2100 at the other end of he run, plus I kept and used it for a few months.

I have never had a hard time finding free storage. Hey... I see you have a ranch, could I stor my flatbed trailer there, you can use it in return for free storage... Deal=DONE.

Heading Out

Adventurer
Yes, they mostly suck, I've used them and they work OK when towed behind U-haul equipment, but, the vehicle being transported is positioned at the very front of the trailer so it ends up with lots of tongue weight.

Joronimo

I just used one to pull a grand Cherokee behind my Silverado (crew cab 6.5’ bed, 4x4, v8). It was fine, wouldn’t think twice to use again. If your truck is big it’s fine, not sure I would try with a mid size truck. Just go slow and plan ahead for merging and braking.

Anak

Stranger
Similar to Jeronimo, I have used one to tow a Cherokee (XJ) behind my Suburban (3/4 ton, 8.1L, Autoride). No issues, wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Your choice of tow vehicles is just as important (if not more so) than your choice of trailers.

(none)

Adventurer
37677204771_0176029370_k.jpg

I've used a few of them. As others have mentioned, their setup is not ideal. They weigh a lot (because they are rental trailers), the surge brakes work ok, but the big thing is you have no adjustment how far forward you can situate the vehicle, causing a lot of tongue weight.

There are no provisions for sway or weight distribution systems, probably because they recommend you don't go above 55mph.

What are you towing? Can you use a dolly instead? I think Penske also rents car haulers? I might be wrong.

AlexJet

Explorer
I've used a few of them. As others have mentioned, their setup is not ideal. They weigh a lot (because they are rental trailers), the surge brakes work ok, but the big thing is you have no adjustment how far forward you can situate the vehicle, causing a lot of tongue weight.

There are no provisions for sway or weight distribution systems, probably because they recommend you don't go above 55mph.

What are you towing? Can you use a dolly instead? I think Penske also rents car haulers? I might be wrong.

I usually tow my 40-series, but its relatively short wheebase, so most of the vehicle is sits on the forward part of the trailer and as you mentioned it adds a bit of the weight on the tongue (most of the 40-series weight is up front - engine).
I used it 2-3 times a year and its usually between 600-1000 km one way.
This is why I thought to investigate for an option of getting Weight Distribution System to help with tongue weight and tow vehicle front end raise. The question what system can be used with this trailers?
o.jpg

Not mine, but it give you an idea how 40-series Land Cruiser sits on the U-HAUL Auto Transporter:
40gone2-jpg.217253

20161126_082939-jpg.1442615

tow-rig-for-mud2-jpg.144801

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

I have used them for years and had zero problems. Just adjust your load so it doesn't overwhelm the tongue weight and you'll be fine.

D

Deleted member 9101

I usually tow my 40-series, but its relatively short wheebase, so most of the vehicle is sits on the forward part of the trailer and as you mentioned it adds a bit of the weight on the tongue (most of the 40-series weight is up front - engine).

Load it backwards. I use to do this with a Civic that I used for solo-II. My Xterra didn't like tongue weight at all.

herm

Adventurer
I bought a used 16 foot flat deck for less than 2k, U-haul wanted 1500 for a one way from Wyoming to Michigan. The trailer has been used about 15 times in the last few years for different things. Try penske or some other rental place, they often have more normal trailers with proper equipment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles