Towing question

kerry

Expedition Leader
We’ve towed our Sea Pearl 21 trimaran behind our FG across country. Probably around 1600-1800 lbs. No problem. We’re considering towing our F-24 trimaran across country. Probably 3000lbs. Anybody have an opinion as to whether that extra weight will make a significant difference? 99FG 4d34t

yabanja

Explorer
I regularly use Fido to tow a race car on a trailer to the local race track. Total weight 4500 lbs. It rides/handles/drives incredibly well. In fact it is probably the nicest towing vehicle I have ever driven. I can achieve 70 plus mph on the flats. That having been said, on any uphill slope it slows significantly. And on serious hills it slows to a glacial and I would say almost unsafe speed comparatively with other vehicles on the road.

Allan

kerry

Expedition Leader
I regularly use Fido to tow a race car on a trailer to the local race track. Total weight 4500 lbs. It rides/handles/drives incredibly well. In fact it is probably the nicest towing vehicle I have ever driven. I can achieve 70 plus mph on the flats. That having been said, on any uphill slope it slows significantly. And on serious hills it slows to a glacial and I would say almost unsafe speed comparatively with other vehicles on the road.

Allan
Thanks. Very helpful. I’d be heading east and the only significant climb is out of the Missouri River valley for a few miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles