Towing in 5th Gear ?

stephenh1235

"Have gun will travel"
Seeking advice / thoughts on towing a 3t caravan with a FG649 Canter - what is the top gear - 4th or 5th. Cannot find answers doing a search , so calling out to the likes of Owen, Dan ,Blackduck or anyone with experiences good or bad.
After 6 years having the Palamino slide on, we have reached an age where the 2 x ladders to access the slide on then the bed have led us to shift to a hybrid van. Palamino will be up for sale shortly.
Thanks,
Steve.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
5th gear is an overdrive, so in my opinion it is probably not the best gear for towing a 3 tonne caravan.
Having said that... someone like @blackduck (Stu) would be able to give you a real world answer, as he used to tow a large caravan behind his truck.

FG649 Gear Ratios.jpg

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Like "SkiFreak" says 5th is overdrive. I wouldn't tow heavy in 5th gear myself but saying that these are truck boxes and heavier than your little duel cab. They are also known in some circles to have problems with these boxes Mainly 2wd tippers, but same box no transfer.
Yes, Stu if he is around would probably know.

Dan.

stephenh1235

"Have gun will travel"
Thanks guys for replying , you have confirmed my thoughts so I will maintain my lifetime practice of not towing in 5th gear !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94