Towing a 4,000 pound camping trailer. Tacoma or F150?

BlackdogGS

Observer
I've towed a lot of things but never a camping trailer. I just bought a new 17' toy hauler that weighs 3,300 pounds empty. I won't take delivery for another month. I have a new 2018 Tacoma and a mint 2004 F150. I was originally thinking I'd tow it with the Tacoma as its good for 6,500 pounds. But after driving it for a while I think the F150 (9,500 pounds) might be better. The Tacoma gets 19 MPG and the F150 gets 16MPG on the highway. What rig do you think will net me the best milage? I'm pretty sure the F150 will bet better in all other aspects. I'll do a detailed comparison when I get the trailer. Tacoma or F150, what do ya think?

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I doubt towing mpg will be much different between the two. The added weight and wheelbase should make the f150 tow better, assuming you're up on maintenance and it doesn't overheat.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
F150. Towing over 50% capability sucks. 3000 is a good number for a Taco. I have a 250 for just 6800# loads. Although a small slide in camper might be in my future instead.

Mileage hasn't mattered even once in my entire life.

robert

Expedition Leader
The Ford, Tacomas suck for towing anything over a small, lightweight trailer. I've never been impressed with V6s for towing and the Tacoma's brakes are about marginal to begin with; I would definitely want trailer brakes.

<-- Tacoma owner

Hummelator

Adventurer
I would say ford as well.
But since you already own the vehicles, try towing it with both. I’m guessing you will quickly realize what you prefer.

Climberclimb

Observer
I tow a 3000 lb trailer with my Tacoma (v6 auto). It does fine, but anything heavier and I would want a bigger truck. Good luck op.
Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles