Tour de France coverage

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
So what are you guys doing about watching the race? We don't have cable or anything, so I usually watch the other races via cycling.tv or event feeds (the Tour of California had excellent daily live web coverage this year, but then again I don't personally have a problem with Frankie as a color man). But Versus seems to have the USA locked down pretty well and haven't found a good substitute to watching the evening show at the bar. Last couple of years I've just figured out the Versus Akamai streaming reflector, but not having as much luck with that this year. My best option so far is the Euosport UK audio feed. The cycling.tv and Versus websites have the 2 minute features and wrap-up shows, but no live or extended commentary coverage. July every year is the only time I come close to spending the money on cable and a Tivo. What a PITA!

riverfever

Adventurer
I'm watching it on VS via satelite. I know a lot of folks on here are t.v. haters but I loves me some t.v. Especially this summer. I've been doing 2 a day rides and then laying in bed and watching trash all day long. OK...gotta go...I hear Paul Sherwin calling me.

DaveInDenver

riverfever said:
I'm watching it on VS via satelite. I know a lot of folks on here are t.v. haters but I loves me some t.v. Especially this summer. I've been doing 2 a day rides and then laying in bed and watching trash all day long. OK...gotta go...I hear Paul Sherwin calling me.
Trying to avoid spending the money on cable or DBS, I don't make paying monthly for TV kind of money. I have subscribed to cycling.tv for the Giro in the past, though that's only $30 once or $100 for a yearly subscription (which gets Paris-Roubaix, Vuelta, Dauphine Libere, bunch of UCI races). Not to mention going the Versus route only gets me the one hour in the evening. I start work at 0630MDT and sitting in front of a computer anyway, might as well just watch the race live.

Was hoping someone has had better luck than me figuring out the Versus live Internet feed.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Versus. In a nutshell, we pay roughly $400 annually for the ability to watch a handful of races, including the tour. Worth it? I suppose. Cheaper than the $4000 we dropped in '07 to stand roadside at the Giro.

My wife is addicted to pro cycling. She knows more about the riders than I do and I've been a hard core fan since I was 12. Lately she has been inviting her pals over to watch. I'm sure a great deal of the attraction is the fact most of these pro riders like Boonen, Pazzato and company are easy on a girl's eyes.

Last edited:

riverfever

Adventurer
I hear ya. The only way we justify it is that we can both walk to work together (work at the same school) and there is nothing to do in this little town so it's our entertainment.

DaveInDenver said:
Trying to avoid spending the money on cable or DBS, I don't make paying monthly for TV kind of money. I have subscribed to cycling.tv for the Giro in the past, though that's only $30 once or $100 for a yearly subscription (which gets Paris-Roubaix, Vuelta, Dauphine Libere, bunch of UCI races). Not to mention going the Versus route only gets me the one hour in the evening. I start work at 0630MDT and sitting in front of a computer anyway, might as well just watch the race live.

Was hoping someone has had better luck than me figuring out the Versus live Internet feed.

Topmounter

Observer
If you're willing to wait, you can always pull the coverage off the torrents. Folks are posting the highlights (sooner) and full coverage (later).

With all the drug problems and general stupidity, It's been a few years since I've followed pro cycling. I'm giving it another chance this year with the TDF to see if I can get interested in it again.

DaveInDenver

Just to be clear, I already watch the 2 minute recaps and stage previews and Velonews and others have live tickers. I'm talking about decent quality live feeds. Today I listened to the Eurosport UK audio commentary and found the Eurosport live Internet feed for video (no sound). It worked OK (video was choppy and low quality, tho) and it actually sync'ed pretty well. But I do like Phil and Paul and Americentric as it might be I like hearing how the local boys do (particularly Garmin/Chipotle/Slipstream). So I guess I am hoping someone smarter than me could figure out a Versus stream. Last year I figured out how to get on to Versus' west coast reflector and watched the exact same feed that a local cable operator might take. Big bandwidth, but it was nice. They seemed to have closed that backdoor this year...

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Topmounter said:
With all the drug problems and general stupidity, It's been a few years since I've followed pro cycling. I'm giving it another chance this year with the TDF to see if I can get interested in it again.
I've been waiting for this tour for a decade. No Lance. No boring tactics with one team sitting on the front like a mob. Counter clockwise trip around France with a stomp over the Massif Central.

That is a recipe for major throw downs. This year's tour is going to be defined by guys having massive good days while other guys implode. WOOOO!!!!!!!

Topmounter

Observer
Ok wow, I was surprised to see Erik Zabel in the mix. That guy is amazing and it's great to see he is still competitive.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Topmounter said:
Ok wow, I was surprised to see Erik Zabel in the mix. That guy is amazing and it's great to see he is still competitive.
True, but Zabel will need to create a new specialty since he'll likely not outsprint the new crop of line grabbers like Cavendish.

I was more shocked to see TWO Garmin riders in the top 5 of GC. Nice. Of course, I think they'll be dang lucky to finish with anyone in the top 15, but that's pretty cool.

On a final note......WOULD YOU FRENCH RIDERS QUITE GUNNING FOR THE DOTS!!!!!! Seriously, if some of the French riders would focus on yellow and not the polka dots, they might get a rider to at least get a peek at the podium.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior