total newer rear axel with E locker under 1st gen 4Runner?

lionsbreath

Adventurer
Ok I have been doing some reading. I read about folks stuffing a toyota Elocker in the 8" older rear ends of the 4runners. It takes a little cutting and welding to get it in place. Read about it here http://67.122.16.97/carterman/4runner/mods/locker/ . But why not just swap the whole axel? After measuring my 02 Taco and my 87 4Runner The springs pads are the same measurement apart but outside flange to flange it is 2" longer so over all just 1" on each side. Have any of you done this swap or read about one? What spiked my intrest was a add on www.craiglist.com for a rear Taco axel with 4.10 and elocker for $400 wich is a good price and cheaper that stuffing an ARB or toyota E locker in my current rear end. I know I will have to wire the E locker up but I would have to do that in any case. Thoughts on this gang?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Plent have done it... even if you did have to move the perches, its easy and straightforward. The Tacoma shock mounting is likely different, but easily adapted. Some don't want the added width, others do.

The reason you havn't head much of it... Many (most) of the rigs that really get wheeled are either OE SA or have been SAS'd. The OE SA 4Runner had a ~3" narrow rear axle than your IFS, so if they ran the Taco Locker, they would have to either run some pretty wide spacers or deal some really funky track width. Likewise those that do SAS are already putting 2" spacers on the front to even things out, that extra inch could be more of a PITA than modifying the housing is (and it doesn't take long to do).

lionsbreath

Adventurer
I didn't measure my front track width yet. But many of the coil over kits run wider I a going to stay stock ifs front for now but run a coil over later on most likely this one http://www.downeyoff-road.com/SuspensionComponents/1986-95.html
Maybe it is easyer just to mod the current housing then having the width differance.
Which way do you think you would go? Keep in mind that I don't want to do the sas on this truck. I like the ifs. So cut current to fit or swap?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
lionsbreath said:
...Which way do you think you would go? Keep in mind that I don't want to do the sas on this truck. I like the ifs. So cut current to fit or swap?

I would modify the housing... that way you don't even have to pull the housing. All the little stuff adds up, ie new u-bolts, shock tab supplies, flange pattern swaps, etc. Buy that $400 axle, you could possible sell the housing to someone else down the road for $100-$200, even if they are just looking for a set of spare shafts.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
For what its worth I've done it twice and you don't "need" to do the welding. The welding is optional but a decent little addition. You don't need to add the metal where they tell you. You use a 1/4 bit but a very long one and it should do the trick. Cheers :)

lionsbreath

Adventurer
Thanks for the great input. If the rear end is still there when I get back into town I will get it. I found a second older rear end the at is the same size as mine for $150 so I can modify that one to take the E locker and just swap after the case modification is done with no down time on the truck. :Mechanic:
Once again I find this site to be the best when it comes to ideas and input. :luxhello:

kbellve

Observer
I was one of the first to do this modification. You might see my name mentioned in some of the earlier articles.

I originally used a 1985 axle under my 1985 4Runner but later switched to a V6 rear axle. The difference in width isn't that noticeable but the upgrade in brakes was really nice.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Several reason:
1. Finding one in a local junkyard is not that common. Its more common to find a 4 Runner rear and those are set up for coil.

2: shipping. Most people source their used diff from somewhere that requires shipping. A toy pig will fit in a 5 gallon bucket. Just throw a piece of flat steel or aluminum in the bottom that is nearly the same size as the bottom to keep the the bottom from getting broken. Slap a label on it and it is good to go. SO UPS you are looking about $30-40. A comple axle is going to be $125 or more to ship since it has to go freight.

3: A LOT of people buy them brand new. TTORA has a discount set up with some dealers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94