Total Composites Slide In Camper Kits

andy_b

Forrest Thorniley

Was Bear Adventure Vehicles an option for you at the time? Im seeing them in north LA and thats quite a bit shorter drive. Though any excuse for a canadian roadtrip is always welcome!

andy_b

Was Bear Adventure Vehicles an option for you at the time? Im seeing them in north LA and thats quite a bit shorter drive. Though any excuse for a canadian roadtrip is always welcome!

IDK if Bear was open at the time of my order.

Advantages to a Canadian builder include avoiding the tariff on Chinese imported goods and decreased labor costs. The cost savings allowed me to get a custom box, door, windows, hatch, heater and interior wall panels built and shipped for about the same as an equivalent pre-made option with an added benefit of designing the camper exactly the way we wanted. In addition, Pronghorn's ability to do design and layout really clinched the decision since I could know ahead of time which parts would work where and try out different layouts.

Forrest Thorniley

Are most folks running diesel or gasoline heaters? I suppose it depends on vehicle type. I don't plan to plumb my heater to my vehicle tank but an external tank located in the flatbed (probably around 10 gallon size up by the headache rack). Gasoline seems simpler since that's my truck fuel and snowmobile fuel for redundancy. But diesel is more efficient. Is there an advantage to gasoline in the middle of winter knowing my fuel lines will be in the bed of the truck? How about high altitude performance (>10,000ft).

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Are most folks running diesel or gasoline heaters? I suppose it depends on vehicle type. I don't plan to plumb my heater to my vehicle tank but an external tank located in the flatbed (probably around 10 gallon size up by the headache rack). Gasoline seems simpler since that's my truck fuel and snowmobile fuel for redundancy. But diesel is more efficient. Is there an advantage to gasoline in the middle of winter knowing my fuel lines will be in the bed of the truck? How about high altitude performance (>10,000ft).

With Diesel you reduce the fire hazard. No issues above 10,000 with the Autotherm heaters. I run mine on Kerosene to increase the efficiency and any issues with freezing temperatures.
As far as I know, the gasoline heaters are likely to have issues at altitude.

Victorian

First 2022 Winter camping pictures are coming in! R16 and thermal transfer free makes all the difference.

Wolf8 Winter 03.jpeg

Attachments

• Wolf Winter 02.jpeg
    Wolf Winter 02.jpeg
    888.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Thermal01.jpg
    Thermal01.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 75

Forrest Thorniley

With Diesel you reduce the fire hazard. No issues above 10,000 with the Autotherm heaters. I run mine on Kerosene to increase the efficiency and any issues with freezing temperatures.
As far as I know, the gasoline heaters are likely to have issues at altitude.

Victorian, Have you tried or heard of others cutting diesel with kerosene (e.g. 10% mix) or adding winter additives to their fuel tanks for their furnaces? Given the higher price and more limited availability of kerosene vs diesel I think using the additive or mixing in kerosene sounds preferable. Id like to be able to fill my external flatbed fuel tank directly at the gas station as well. I'm just worried about these tiny fuel lines/filters on these heaters below zero F.

Victorian

Victorian, Have you tried or heard of others cutting diesel with kerosene (e.g. 10% mix) or adding winter additives to their fuel tanks for their furnaces? Given the higher price and more limited availability of kerosene vs diesel I think using the additive or mixing in kerosene sounds preferable. Id like to be able to fill my external flatbed fuel tank directly at the gas station as well. I'm just worried about these tiny fuel lines/filters on these heaters below zero F.

I mix the fuels all the time on my camper. The diesel additives is actually the thing I would avoid at all cost. These will clog up your burner by creating sot. Hence the Kerosene, it's super clean and burns without residue.

Forrest Thorniley

I mix the fuels all the time on my camper. The diesel additives is actually the thing I would avoid at all cost. These will clog up your burner by creating sot. Hence the Kerosene, it's super clean and burns without residue.

Thanks for the advice. Have you found a good mix ratio? Is 10% enough or is it closer to 50/50 for this type of application?

Also What are your thoughts on plumbing an extra heater duct into the battery/water tank compartments? Or do you think the TC panels and a single well placed heater vent is enough to warm these components with the cabinets closed? (6.5 slide in). I also plan on adding one of those Lunos Ego exchanger in place of any roof top vent/fan/skylight.

Victorian

Thanks for the advice. Have you found a good mix ratio? Is 10% enough or is it closer to 50/50 for this type of application?

Also What are your thoughts on plumbing an extra heater duct into the battery/water tank compartments? Or do you think the TC panels and a single well placed heater vent is enough to warm these components with the cabinets closed? (6.5 slide in). I also plan on adding one of those Lunos Ego exchanger in place of any roof top vent/fan/skylight.

Don't think there is a perfect ratio. I mix as I go or go pure. The only thing I'm watching for is to have NO summer diesel in my system when it gets cold.
If you tanks are inside and the heater is going you shouldn't have to worry about tanks such.

Check these guys out: https://www.instagram.com/decidetheyld/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online