Total Composites Slide In Camper Kits

Ducstrom

These look awesome! I'd have considered going this route if they'd been out a few years earlier. Would have cut a lot of time off my build.
What's the final width on these? Are they under the 80" threshold requiring wide load clearance lights?
I struggled going with an 84" width so I could comfortably sleep east-west in mine. Meant poking a bunch more holes through the exterior.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
These look awesome! I'd have considered going this route if they'd been out a few years earlier. Would have cut a lot of time off my build.
What's the final width on these? Are they under the 80" threshold requiring wide load clearance lights?
I struggled going with an 84" width so I could comfortably sleep east-west in mine. Meant poking a bunch more holes through the exterior.
Will have dimensions to share shortly.

We have lift off! It was a long time coming with long hours in the shop. Worth every minute. As a result, we have developed campers that offer unmatched 4 season performance that have not been available till now. Our focus was to find solutions customers have been asking for since we started in 2016. The Expedition Portal members have helped in a huge way with very valuable input and suggestions. Thank you for all your support, you guys and girls are awesome!!!!

Congrats! A big effort I'm sure. I've reached out to your US supplier and am excited to learn more!

ripperj

Explorer
So I’m pretty excited about these campers , I reached out to your Quebec distributor and they told me there is 30% duty on top of the camper price plus shipping. So about $5100 usd on the $17,000 unit. Is that the same if you buy from the Wa distributor?

Congrats on the new line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Victorian

So I’m pretty excited about these campers , I reached out to your Quebec distributor and they told me there is 30% duty on top of the camper price plus shipping. So about $5100 usd on the $17,000 unit. Is that the same if you buy from the Wa distributor?

Congrats on the new line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Where are you located?
The answer you received is 50% true.
Here is how it actually works:

When ever you import goods from other countries, you need to pay duty. Usually it's 6% all around the world. The USA and China (where our factory is located) have a "special" relationship and Trump implemented a 30% duty on ANYTHING coming from China. Walmart must be very unhappy :)
That duty is based on the full container load and NOT on the price off the assembled camper. If you purchase from Overland Adventure Trucks in Olympia WA all you pay is the retail price plus applicable taxes for either WA or your state. Not sure about the exact taxation laws in each state.

To further confuse you :)..... If you would purchase the assembled camper through a company in Canada, the camper will then be classified as made in Canada and only be taxes at 6% when you cross into the USA. This has been done many times by other customers without any issues.

In any case, you are probably better off purchasing through Overland Adventure Trucks as you would avoid exchange rates, duty and border crossings.

As you can see, there is a lot to consider when setting up these kind of dealer networks.

gsea

Just confirming that the 6.5' and 8' campers are not vehicle model specific, correct? I could build it and use it for both F150 and F350.

Also assuming that 6.5' and 8' are not the actual outside box lengths nor floor lengths, but the box dimensions they were designed to fit, yes? Were they designed to fit in those box lengths with the tailgates closed per earlier discussion?

Lastly, what are you going to be recommending for graphics/color on these or for UV protection against yellowing? Vinyl wraps or automotive paint, perhaps?

Thanks.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I know it adds some "vehicle specific" work, but what are the chances that if someone was ordering a slide-in kit that they could have the design altered to bump out the rear corners to full bed-width (aft of the wheel wells). I realize it adds several more panels and joints (inside corners, especially), but on the smaller beds, having at least a small portion of the floor-pack that's full-width can make a big difference in fitting everything into a layout. (Good spot for storing a porta-potti out of the aisle, for example.)

Obviously this should include an upcharge due to the extra complexity, but if I were ordering a camper, it's one I'd willingly pay.

tc-slide-in.jpg

Victorian

Just confirming that the 6.5' and 8' campers are not vehicle model specific, correct? I could build it and use it for both F150 and F350.

Also assuming that 6.5' and 8' are not the actual outside box lengths nor floor lengths, but the box dimensions they were designed to fit, yes? Were they designed to fit in those box lengths with the tailgates closed per earlier discussion?

Lastly, what are you going to be recommending for graphics/color on these or for UV protection against yellowing? Vinyl wraps or automotive paint, perhaps?

Thanks.

Correct, we designed the 5' and the 6.5' to fit inside the tailgate in most trucks. There are exceptions like our Ford Ranger shop truck that has VERY odd sizes that make it sit very high and won't let us close the tailgate. Guess I need to design another version for the Ranger :) Fingers crossed our rain will go away and we can line up a range of truck to test fit them on as many as we can.

No worries about discolouration! All components are UV protected with Gelcoat.

Victorian

I know it adds some "vehicle specific" work, but what are the chances that if someone was ordering a slide-in kit that they could have the design altered to bump out the rear corners to full bed-width (aft of the wheel wells). I realize it adds several more panels and joints (inside corners, especially), but on the smaller beds, having at least a small portion of the floor-pack that's full-width can make a big difference in fitting everything into a layout. (Good spot for storing a porta-potti out of the aisle, for example.)

Obviously this should include an upcharge due to the extra complexity, but if I were ordering a camper, it's one I'd willingly pay.

View attachment 645962

Certainly an option for version 2.0. To be honest, we like the space. It makes storing firewood and the portable diesel heater super easy. Will take notes and see if we can make those changes down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94