Total Composites Slide In Camper Kits

cobro92

Gotta say, pretty happy you guys will be offering them assembled. Wasn't looking forward to cutting in (and sealing) windows haha

Even before they decided they were going to assemble the campers for customers, I think they had always shipped them to customers with the cutouts already done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kamicrazy99

Even before they decided they were going to assemble the campers for customers, I think they had always shipped them to customers with the cutouts already done.

Interesting, thanks. I didn't have any confirmation, but that wasn't the vibe I was getting.

NOPEC

Kamicrazy and cobro92

I think you will find that the slide in "boxes" don't come with window cutouts. Not a bad thing because it gives the builder much more choice about location and size. I am sure TC will wade in soon enough to confirm this one way or the other.

FWIT, I installed four Tern windows last year and they are really quite straight forward and the exterior sealing is taken care of by the generously thick gaskets, it is way easier than gooping them with loads of caulking. The main thing with the thicker composite walls is watching out for the tendency of jigsaw blades to wander between inner and outer surfaces. There are tricks out there around your template and the creation of pilot holes, etc., that will ensure the absolute accuracy of your cutouts. The biggest challenge for Canadians is joining the inner and outer frames with the Phillips screws!!

Bob

ripperj

Explorer
I spoke with TC the other day, I think it was Kate? Very helpful. they don’t offer the window and doors cut out , I thought they used to, I have seen their shipment pics with them cutout. Not the end of the world , but my shop is now full of machine tools and the less I have to do in the driveway the better :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gsea

I think the assembled shell without cutouts is a plus. For me, the point of buying one of these is to be able to build exactly what I want in a camper without compromise. What I want doesn't quite exist in the market, especially in terms of the components used. It's a bummer to have to buy a camper only to then undergo the expense and effort of swapping out the components (for which you just paid) for the ones you wish were options in the first place (and have now paid for in addition to the camper price). One of the areas that is often a let-down on commercially-produced slide-in campers is windows, so having total control over selection/sourcing/sizing and location of windows is fantastic, especially for those of us who'd like to do some unique layouts and use the money saved from building our own camper to source higher-end windows than what you'd be able to option on a commercial unit.

BTW, any update on shipment arrival? Been holding off on a camper purchase until I see how these turn out! Very excited.

Last edited:

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
I think the assembled shell without cutouts is a plus. For me, the point of buying one of these is to be able to build exactly what I want in a camper without compromise. What I want doesn't quite exist in the market, especially in terms of the components used. It's a bummer to have to buy a camper only to then undergo the expense and effort of swapping out the components (for which you just paid) for the ones you wish were options in the first place (and have now paid for in addition to the camper price). One of the areas that is often a let-down on commercially-produced slide-in campers is windows, so having total control over selection/sourcing/sizing and location of windows is fantastic, especially for those of us who'd like to do some unique layouts and use the money saved from building our own camper to source higher-end windows than what you'd be able to option on a commercial unit.

BTW, any update on shipment arrival? Been holding off on a camper purchase until I see how these turn out! Very excited.

MMMI dunno. I will be hiring out my work and most people on this planet have zero knowledge of this kind of composite panel construction. Some of the Youtube videos I've seen scare me as I KNOW that I would mess something up. Because that's what I do. If you could spec out your preferred windows and doors and have the cutouts placed by TC, it removes a bunch of the pucker factor for me. I'd encourage TC to offer cutouts as an upgrade option.

rruff

Explorer
I will be hiring out my work and most people on this planet have zero knowledge of this kind of composite panel construction. Some of the Youtube videos I've seen scare me as I KNOW that I would mess something up.

Cutting a hole with a saw? Even if you *really* screw it up, send your window back, and get a slightly bigger one.

If you are doing a full deluxe buildout, there are a few hundred more likely places to screw up IMO.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
MMMI dunno. I will be hiring out my work and most people on this planet have zero knowledge of this kind of composite panel construction. Some of the Youtube videos I've seen scare me as I KNOW that I would mess something up. Because that's what I do. If you could spec out your preferred windows and doors and have the cutouts placed by TC, it removes a bunch of the pucker factor for me. I'd encourage TC to offer cutouts as an upgrade option.

The way it looks right now we are only offering the slide in campers as assembled units. Empty shell (with 1 entry door) as blank slate. The possibilities are endless!
It will be fairly easy for us to install any type Arctic Tern Window, skylight, storage hatch at the same time.

As life goes we had another small delay..... A couple of machinery parts that we custom ordered from Germany are faulty... Should have replacement in place next week. Fingers crossed, we have the Gladiator camper ready within a couple days. Dodge 1500, F150, after....

Thank you everyone for the feedback and for hanging in there! It's amazing to have such a great community support.

Cheers

Victorian

Cutting a hole with a saw? Even if you *really* screw it up, send your window back, and get a slightly bigger one.

If you are doing a full deluxe buildout, there are a few hundred more likely places to screw up IMO.

Best way: buy a $22 holesaw and a Fein Multimaster with either a composite or metal rated blade. Cut from both sides. Takes maybe 45 minutes per windows from layout till fully installed.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
@Victorian - Acknowledging that it would be a custom job with a custom quote, I wanted to see if a pop-top roof is something that's even theoretically on the table with the boxes of this size? We're still daydreaming about next rigs, but one of the criteria we're not sure we can fully set aside yet is "ability to fit into shipping container". Ideally, being able to do that without demounting the box!

Just exploring options. Thanks!

Victorian

@Victorian - Acknowledging that it would be a custom job with a custom quote, I wanted to see if a pop-top roof is something that's even theoretically on the table with the boxes of this size? We're still daydreaming about next rigs, but one of the criteria we're not sure we can fully set aside yet is "ability to fit into shipping container". Ideally, being able to do that without demounting the box!

Just exploring options. Thanks!

A pop up is 100% not in the making. Sorry about that.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
A pop up is 100% not in the making. Sorry about that.
Fair enough. If we decide we can live without containering (or that demounting for a 40' is something we're willing to mess with), we know where to find y'all! :D

cobro92

@Victorian - Do you think it would be possible to put a ‘basement’ below the camper? Something maybe 6 inches tall but that extends the whole width and length of the camper floor? Would be very useful for storing the jacks and longer items like skis.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
We're still daydreaming about next rigs, but one of the criteria we're not sure we can fully set aside yet is "ability to fit into shipping container". Ideally, being able to do that without demounting the box!
On the basis that shipping in a container is something that happens only on relatively rare occasions, this friend of ours built a "pop down".
It has the advantages of a solid, well insulated body with full standing height, but can be reduced in height to fit a container for half a day's work.
2010-06-27 (epicycles.com)
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

simple

Adventurer
@Victorian - Do you think it would be possible to put a ‘basement’ below the camper? Something maybe 6 inches tall but that extends the whole width and length of the camper floor? Would be very useful for storing the jacks and longer items like skis.

If not, you could go the flatbed route and have long built in storage down the sides over the wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles