Torsion axle? Anybody use one?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Still looking to redo the axle on Bubbles, our teardrop trailer (currently has a way-too-heavey Dayton axle from a mobile home.)

While surfing the net I came across this from Northern Tool:

129284_lg.jpg

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200323651_200323651

Reliable rubber torsion axle. Looks like it would replace the current axle and spring setup entirely. I assume the mounting base would have to be welded to my current frame (which I would have to have done) but other than that, it looks like it might work. What I don't know about this axle is the how much wheel travel it has or how high it will set the trailer (I'm also trying to lower the trailer, for a number of reasons.)

Anybody run one of these or have any idea of the pros/cons?

Thanks in advance.

ih8philly

Adventurer
They come as standard equipment on the Tentrx. I have been happy with its performance but i certainly don't use my trailer under the conditions like some people on this board do.

Adventure Trailers has a good write up on different trailer suspension designs: http://www.adventuretrailers.com/suspension.html. They argue that the biggest limitation of this design is high speed off-road performance.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
I have used the Dexter Torflex axle for over 25 years, never saw one fail. Have never seen pictures of the AT failure. The axle you are looking at is most likely not a Dexter axle, but a similar design.

Dexter TorFlex and Alko Rubber ride will be on every US military trailer under 5K. They have/are selling off all the old military trailers to run this axle. Dexter offers a drop axle, level ride and a lowered axle so you can accomplish what ever you want. I use the one with a 45 degree down tilt, gives about 6 inches wheel travel. The wheel only goes up and down, no side way movement other than the tire flex. The axle cross member actually makes the trailer stronger

These axles are used on all new US military and NATO forces trailers.

They are strong enough for any off road trailer.

You can view a video of mine on one of the tougher trails in SoCal. It handled it no problem.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've been using the Dexter 1400lb axle on my Tentrax for over 5 years and have had no problems-

I usually run my trailer at about 1100 lbs on/off-road and everything has been copasetic-

I wouldn't trust Northerntools axle--although I've bought a lotta good stuff fromem-this is in a critical op position-

The torsion axles should be from a reputable mfg--like Dexter !

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

4x4x4doors

Explorer
The Little Guy uses a torsion axle. I've been satisfied with mine. Reasonable ride for the light weight and tracks well.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
They come as standard equipment on the Tentrx. I have been happy with its performance but i certainly don't use my trailer under the conditions like some people on this board do.

Adventure Trailers has a good write up on different trailer suspension designs: http://www.adventuretrailers.com/suspension.html. They argue that the biggest limitation of this design is high speed off-road performance.
"Fast off-road", washboard, is the worst condition for any kind of suspension. If you are driving too long on washboard without letting your suspension take a rest, the shocks of your vehicle will fade and can in extreme cases explode. That is why vehicles set up for desert racers or pre-runners type of rigs are equipped with shocks with reservoirs or/and have multiple shock set-up. That in these extreme conditions the rubber in a stock torsion axle can get so hot that the rubber elements decompose is absolutely plausible. However, not sure how well other components of the trailer or cargo will hold up either.

As others said, the torsion axle is a proven and very reliable type of axle. I am yet to see one fail. (But I have seen a lot of leaky air suspensions causing trouble in my life). Dexter and Alko are very reputable brands that have been around the block a couple times, which does not mean that axles from other manufacturers have to be bad.

If a torsion axle ever should break, yes they are not as easily fixable like a broken leaf of a leaf spring, which you can rig up with wood and scrap metal . But neither is a custom air bag suspension. (BTW, most trailer axle failures I have seen were bent axles and disintegrated hubs). If you stay close to civilization, torsion axles are – at least in the US – so common that if one should go out on you, most trailer places should have a replacement axle in stock or can get one in a couple days.

My previous trailer has a 3,500 axle and 2,000 lbs leaf springs, my current trailer has torsion axle. The torsion axle rides a lot nicer.

uk trailer guy

Observer
Here, in the UK, I'd have thought 99% of the trailer run on a torsion axle. Both of my trailers have them. The ride's much smoother, but as everyone's said - not easy to repair in the field (nigh on impossible, in fact) and probably not as capable over the rougher stuff. This one has a torsion axle and Mitsubishi Shogun alloys on it, which gives good ground clearance

shoguntrailer003.jpg

shoguntrailer004.jpg

Last edited:

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Seriously folks, do you believe NATO and the US Military would put less than top of the line on their trailers. Peoples lives depend on their trailers. I have seen the air bag systems flop on their sides, never seen a torsion axle do that. I have seen one damaged axle in 25 years using these axle, and it was hit broadside by a truck. Dexter and Alko are working on an air ride torsion axle of trailers above the 5000 pound limit. Dexter feels confident they will get a contract for the US Military.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Just to be clear, this trailer does not go "off road" on a regular basis. About the most I would do is a well graded forest service road to find a secluded campsite. On our long trips we stayed at KOAs or other developed campsites the whole time.

The reason I'm not keen on "off roading" with Bubbles is that she has no frame for the body - it's just 3/4" marine grade plywood sides with maybe 3/16" flexible marine grade plywood for the roof, joined with glue. So my concern is if I take her down a washboard or rutted road and the body is lurching back and forth and side-to-side, it's going to weaken the bond between the sides and the top, or possibly break the bond leaving a gap that will be hard to repair.

If she had a true frame with a skin over it, I might feel better about "off roading" with her but in reality she's just a way for the wife and I to get away from the city and do some camping, any 4 wheeling will be done after we drop Bubbles off and set up our camp.

Sounds like a torsion axle could work well, the only issue is going to be cost, as I will have to have the axle welded to the current frame. The good thing about that is that as you can see from the pictures, the axle sits pretty far to the rear, and since the fenders are coming off anyway to re-do the axle, I would have the option of moving the axle forward a few inches which should lighten the tongue weight a bit (right now tongue weight is 18%, and my understanding is that ideal tongue weight is 10-15%.)

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
On the Dexter there are two small brackets that require welding, and not a tremendous amount on them. Leave them bolted to the axle and weld them, no damage will occur. The axle can be replaced/removed by dropping four bolts. I am building a new trailer as we speak, and the build thread will be on here soon. Some close ups of the axle set up. You can run the Dexter a little farther back as most of the weight is forward of the wheels.

Just for information, Air Stream has used this type of axle for nearly 40 years, and have never changed. Not off road confirmation, but one of the finest trailers ever made, that quality of ride is high on their sales list.

Bob

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
No question that a torsion axle rides good on the road... but without the dampening of some sort of strut or shock for rebound control, they would suck off-road. The OP has stated that this will be an on-road or FSR friendly trailer, and I am sure that the torsion axle setup will be ideal. Military Spec trailer axles will be far superior to anything that is sold to the general population...but the tech will trickle down eventually.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Greg, they are the exact same specs according to Dexter and Alko. Now above 5000 pounds they are different, they have an air bladder, on top of the rubber cord system, no shock.

What people have done with the rubber ride axles is over sprung their trailers. If you have a military type trailer, weighing 1500 pounds and you put a 3500 pound torsion axle on it, you actually get an axle that is most likely closer to 4000 pounds. Of course it will bounce. Now you can buy the 6 lug axle all the way down to 1800 pounds. I run a 2700 pound axle on my trailer. I have never had a bouncing problem other than hitting a giant hole on the Kokopelli at about 70 miles an hour. The truck bounced, and the trailer bounced about 5 feet off the ground at 90 degrees to the truck, came back down and went straight. No damage, very lucky I think. On every trail I have taken my trailer on, people comment on how the wheels never leave the ground, how well it tracks. You can see it in the Carvacre trail video. These are very good axles, have been basiclly the only axle in Europe for decades.

The key is getting the right weight rating for the trailer.

Bob

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Thats why I have 1400lb Dexters on my Tentrax--

If I KNOW I'll be driving any appreciable length of washboard---I drop my trailer ProComps to 15psi/each--no problemo-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
As a group, we all tend to overdo things. I need this or that and it has be the biggest and baddest, a guy thing. Torsion axles do not work that way. Get exactly what you need. In the past Dexter did not offer the lighter weight axles with the 6 lug hub, now I think they go all the way down to 1800 pounds.

As a precaution on my trailers I weld and eyelet on each side. The story being that the rubber goes away and there is no way to hold the axle in the housing. with eyelets a chain or strap would hold it if it ever did happen. I have never seen this happen, nor according to the guy I deal with at Dexter, have they. But anything is possible when off roading.

Be prepared.

Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles