Toppers and Rooftop Tents?

jerstw

Adventurer
Looking for some feedback from those of you that have mounted a rooftop tent on your fiberglass topper...be it with the Thule or Yakima setups offered by the topper manufactures or something you came up with on your own. I have a Leer 100XQ, which I purchased used, on my 2011 Ram 1500 and the topper did not come with the Leer installed Thule setup thus I am trying to assess which direction to go to get a rooftop tent up on it...Thule track and rails or a Baja, Gobi, Kargomaster, etc. rack system. Also, if you have any advice on support concerns would appreciate it as I need this to end up supporting 2 adults, 2 growing boys and 40lbs of dog along with gear for an evening in the tent; I am guessing about around 650-700lbs static load.

Thank you in advanced for any information you are willing to share.

r_vdb

Observer
So I will pipe up, this is my set up & how I have run it , I use the front runner rails on top of a snug top brand shell again & Thule crossbars, I feel the frontrunner rails distribute the weight a bit with 130Lbs for a tent & 3 kids at 100Lbs each it works well, I have it on a Tacoma now & before a similar setup on a full sized GMC and have yet to see any stress cracks etc. I went through the thicker section that's encapsulated wood & or stringers & threw some sealant/silicone at the penetrations & did not over tighten the bolts, check bolts periodically.... I have thrown a lot of weight on this set up without the rooftop tent for work, no issues... I hope that gets the ball rolling for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles