Topo Toppers

shmabs

Explorer
Congratulations on your Topo Topper! I’m currently in the research phase and have some questions regarding your Topo. I currently have a second gen Tundra and have been looking at Topo Badlander, AT Atlas, Snap Outfitters Treehouse, Vagabond Nomad. I know two of these are wedge type. What would you say is the main reason you went with Topo? Did you have an opportunity to compare your Topo with any of the other companies listed here? Appreciate any info you can provide.

Just sent you a message.

I'm a current Badlander Owner on my 2017 Tundra, and prior Vagabond Drifter Owner on my 2006 Tacoma.

cherrymobile

Just sent you a message.

I'm a current Badlander Owner on my 2017 Tundra, and prior Vagabond Drifter Owner on my 2006 Tacoma.
I'm on the fence between mesa and badlander. How does the full pop top do in the wind? I assume you can at least turn into the wind with the wedge style campers.

ekim952522000

Can any of you that own the bad lander post a few photos of the inside roof and the opening mechanism everything on the site it low res.

shmabs

Explorer
I'm on the fence between mesa and badlander. How does the full pop top do in the wind? I assume you can at least turn into the wind with the wedge style campers.

It does about as well as any other soft sided pop up will do in the wind. No real issues other than noise, but there is a shock cord tied around the outside to minimize flapping. I also added a tension strap to the inside of the tent that I plan to utilize in high wind scenarios.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I have become more and more interested in these campers. So much that I reached out to them via Instagram. I happen to be in Ventura (where they are headquartered) next weekend and plan to stop by to take a look and show the Mrs. why I want something like this. Will post up a little review and my very opinionated thoughts if anyone cares to read.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Alright so I stopped by Topo Topper on Sat morning. Was immediately greeted by the owners. Our 1.5 year old got sick the day before we drove up to Ventura from San Diego and she was super fussy so it unfortunately was a quick trip and didn't get to chat in depth like I wanted to. What I did see is very high quality. Everything looked perfectly made and designed well. Everything was solid. I was looking for a reason to say No to this company because I want quality if I'm going to drop 10k on something like this. I didn't see anything that turned me away. They crew was installing one on a really nicely built Tacoma and there were 2 two other installs in the yard that they did earlier in the morning. We got to pop the top and step inside. In all I'm very impressed. I've been in many GFC and I love the look and sex appeal of them but they just wont fit what I'm looking for. I have also been in an OVRLND and ORU Design and I think the quality of Topo Toppers is far superior to what I had seen.

Since I had a cranky toddler I did not have a chance to get any pictures and really wanted to stay longer but it is what it is I guess.

We have the 1.5 year old and are planning on more very soon so I am slightly torn on space. I feel for now the full pop top version would fit us well but once we have 2 little ones and then 3 and maybe more? I don't see anything like this working for my family long term and really can only see a travel trailer as base camp and explore from there which I don't really want but will obviously make work.

chet6.7

Explorer
Alright so I stopped by Topo Topper on Sat morning. Was immediately greeted by the owners. Our 1.5 year old got sick the day before we drove up to Ventura from San Diego and she was super fussy so it unfortunately was a quick trip and didn't get to chat in depth like I wanted to. What I did see is very high quality. Everything looked perfectly made and designed well. Everything was solid. I was looking for a reason to say No to this company because I want quality if I'm going to drop 10k on something like this. I didn't see anything that turned me away. They crew was installing one on a really nicely built Tacoma and there were 2 two other installs in the yard that they did earlier in the morning. We got to pop the top and step inside. In all I'm very impressed. I've been in many GFC and I love the look and sex appeal of them but they just wont fit what I'm looking for. I have also been in an OVRLND and ORU Design and I think the quality of Topo Toppers is far superior to what I had seen.

Since I had a cranky toddler I did not have a chance to get any pictures and really wanted to stay longer but it is what it is I guess.

We have the 1.5 year old and are planning on more very soon so I am slightly torn on space. I feel for now the full pop top version would fit us well but once we have 2 little ones and then 3 and maybe more? I don't see anything like this working for my family long term and really can only see a travel trailer as base camp and explore from there which I don't really want but will obviously make work.
Thanks for the report.
It sounds like you may be doing a school bus build to haul the family.:)

shmabs

Explorer

If you're going to have small humans like that, the full pop might be beneficial as a sort of "play space" for them.

I'll be selling my badlander from my 2017 tundra soon, and ordering a mesa. Less weight, easier snow shedding, and I don't really need the full pop these days as it's often just me and one other person, if I'm not alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles