Top Reasons Why Your Wife/Girlfriend or Family Do Not Go On Trips with You?

articulate

Expedition Leader
I'd post a poll with prescribed answers, but I don't think that would do the trick for getting down to it.

So. If you have others in your life and they don't go on trips with you, why not? What are their reasons? Does it matter to you?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Marisa doesn't like riding long distances on a moto -- so she doesn't go on moto-trips. It's just not her thing, and I'm OK with that.

She does go on the non-moto trips though (~90% of all trips are in the truck or Jeep) -- and I'm OK with that too.

We find that it is nice to do trips w/o each other from time to time. It gives us space, and the ability to do what *we* want, without having to compromise all the time. It makes the trips that we do go on together much nicer.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Part of the fun for me is not planning and just being spontaneous when on a trip, ie the actual journey interests me most and not the destination.

The gf doesn't always have the same enthusiasm.

-Sam

articulate

Expedition Leader
....without having to compromise all the time. It makes the trips that we do go on together much nicer.
Ah, that's a good point. But dang, didn't you buy her a moto? At least she gave it a shot.

AxeAngel said:
...being spontaneous...
The gf doesn't always have the same enthusiasm.
Oh! Good one. I doubt it's totally universal, but that's my experience too. My wife likes it when we sit down and make a plan together. I find it fun too, but I'm also down with heading out with just a vague idea of where I'm headed. She likes a balance; she doesn't care for a hard-nosed plan with a spreadsheet and hour-by-hour plans, but she doesn't want just a willy-nilly whatever plan either. That's better for the solo stuff anyway, I think.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Ah, that's a good point. But dang, didn't you buy her a moto? At least she gave it a shot.

Actually, she is on her second bike. She rides on occasion, and enjoys it -- but she isn't up for any trips beyond half-days of poking around the back roads. Nothing wrong with that -- motorcycles aren't for everyone.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
She's got to work that weekend...someone's got to be responsible. Other than that Michelle is always ready to jump in one of our rigs or another and share an adventure with me and the kidlins.

97tjguzzy

Explorer
doesn't like peeing in the woods, and I don't really like campgrounds...

i have mentioned the PETT systems...she is less than enthused.

shogun

Adventurer
Were I a bettin man, I would venture that 99% of the issue is the bathroom. Either a lack of bathroom (remote camping), or a public bathroom (public camping). I know women that wont use a public bathroom, and are thus tethered to home even around town.

There may be additional reasons, and you'd probably need years of analysis to bring it out, but there it is. There are psycho disorders that are gender-specific, this may be one.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
doesn't like peeing in the woods, and I don't really like campgrounds...

x2 :(

I have mentioned the PETT systems...she is less than enthused.
I have bought the PETT system . . . she is less than enthused.

I have enclosed various potties in every tent structure known to man . . . she is less than enthused.

QED: No hard walls around the potty, no wife on the trip.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
my fiance loves camping, and some offroading, just not the crazy rock stuff (which is fine, im not wild about it either).

expo style, the main hurtle is the bathroom situation. the thought of pooing in a bucket does not appeal to her. i would like her to try it once though, but an opportunity has not presented itself yet. she is very hesitant to go on these trips because of that simple fact.

any one have any bright ideas to convince her otherwise?

i have the fold out shelter thing, the standard bucket with double doodie bags and a snap on toilet seat

Were I a bettin man, I would venture that 99% of the issue is the bathroom. Either a lack of bathroom (remote camping), or a public bathroom (public camping). I know women that wont use a public bathroom, and are thus tethered to home even around town.

There may be additional reasons, and you'd probably need years of analysis to bring it out, but there it is. There are psycho disorders that are gender-specific, this may be one.

actually, i am this way. i will avoid public bathrooms at all costs, and to an extent, even friend's private bathrooms. i love my bathroom, with my toilet seat and toilet paper and soap, etc. BUT, i recognize i have a need when away from home, and i love being outside much more than i love my bathroom, so i deal with it.

Last edited:

Moody

Needs to get out more
Despite Hilary owning a solid -20 degree down sleeping bag, and plenty of cold weather gear to boot, she usually says, "Have a good time!" when I head out in the winter.

She poops in the PETT. (I'd be killed if she knew I was posting this)

Edit: COLD is the #1 reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles