Tools for the overlander

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
No you may not be fine for that long, and yes I suppose that the 2wd unit bearing hub is different design. What a silly question. Do you think that the 4wd Xterra front differential assembly has a different design than the 2wd Xterra front differential?

skibum315

Explorer
:Wow1: ... please, let's not get pedantic.

Check out the Gen-2 hub descriptions here: http://www.timken.com/EN-US/solutio.../Documents/Vol5Iss5_Tapered_Hub_Unit_Brgs.pdf ... Timken is the OEM hub manufacturer, you'll also notice a cross-sectional picture (albeit low res). Look up part SP450701 here: http://www.showmetheparts.com/timken/ ... or navigate through their menus to a 2nd Gen Xterra and select "Product: Wheel Bearings, Seals" ... under the attributes tab, you'll see the gen-type listed.

It may be a press fit, but I maintain that in a pinch you'd be okay to drive on the (4wd) front hubs with no half-axle assembly installed ... even to get yourself out of a trail and back home again. This has been borne out by many users over on thenewx.org, some of whom I know directly (vs. the possible implied hearsay/conjecture of relaying info posted pseudo-anonymously on a message board) ... take the information as you will. At the end of the day, it's really not that hard to bring along a spare assembly ... or to hack up a used one and scavenge the stub shaft.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Fix a flat never did jack for me. Waste of money. Now a tire plug kit and a small bottle of soapy water. Saved many a tire with that, even on other peoples trucks.

Cheap OBD2 = easydiag and the app for my iphone. Plug the easydiag into the obd2 port, fire up the app and you can not only pull codes and clear them you can also monitor the truck while you drive. Sweet!

Cheers

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Green slime tire sealer and a plug kit for big holes. I use the green slime mainly for my atv but i think its great stuff

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

coop74

Old Camping Dude
Cheap code reader! HF has one goes on sale pretty regularly only like 44$

One better, get a OBD blue tooth reader and 5 bucks of app for your smart phone and you are set. You can get the blue tooth rig for like 16 bucks delivered on amazon.

BigM4x4sc

:Wow1: ... please, let's not get pedantic.

Check out the Gen-2 hub descriptions here: http://www.timken.com/EN-US/solutio.../Documents/Vol5Iss5_Tapered_Hub_Unit_Brgs.pdf ... Timken is the OEM hub manufacturer, you'll also notice a cross-sectional picture (albeit low res). Look up part SP450701 here: http://www.showmetheparts.com/timken/ ... or navigate through their menus to a 2nd Gen Xterra and select "Product: Wheel Bearings, Seals" ... under the attributes tab, you'll see the gen-type listed.

It may be a press fit, but I maintain that in a pinch you'd be okay to drive on the (4wd) front hubs with no half-axle assembly installed ... even to get yourself out of a trail and back home again. This has been borne out by many users over on thenewx.org, some of whom I know directly (vs. the possible implied hearsay/conjecture of relaying info posted pseudo-anonymously on a message board) ... take the information as you will. At the end of the day, it's really not that hard to bring along a spare assembly ... or to hack up a used one and scavenge the stub shaft.

This is correct. You would be perfectly fine to drive on a 4wd hub of this style without the cv shaft in the hub. I work for a manufacturer of hub bearings, we are actually owned by the same overall company that owns Timken. This style of hub bearing is self-contained. The inner shaft is "clinched" on the inboard side (with a press fit as well) to provide preload and hold the unit together. The cv shaft just acts as a driving force on the shaft splines. The 2wd version would be exactly the same bearing, the difference being the shaft doesn't have a hole all the way thru the center.

I also suggest only 6 point sockets, last thing you want to do is round off a bolt on the trail!

wrooster

Green slime tire sealer and a plug kit for big holes. I use the green slime mainly for my atv but i think its great stuff

Green slime can bail you out of a jam, but you want to get it out as quickly as you get back to civilization. It can eat up rims, at least I have seen it do it to steel rims.

Blind_Io

Adventurer
5 pound hammer in my kit is used more often on trail runs than any other tool.

I use the back of my short-handle axe and it works pretty well. The size might be a problem in tight spaces to smash something back into shape, but it works great for tent stakes and such.

quaintbucket

Observer
I need to pare down my tools in my pathfinder. I got a whole wack of tools in a little red box but I use it for other things and has come in handy from time to time.

here's what i have

• wrenches
  • socket+ratchet set
  • hammer
  • zip ties
  • wd-40
  • MAF Sensor cleaner
  • 1-5 litre of oil (flavour of the season)
  • 5 litre of coolant
  • 1 small container of brake fluid/power steering fluid/etc
  • small container of soap (i usually have water on me at all times. i use this if i need to find a leak somewhere
  • electrical tape
  • silicone tape (great for fixing leaking pipes!)
  • duct tape
  • teflon tape (i don't know why i have this...)
  • heat shrink wrap
  • electrical cable stripper
  • jumper cables
  • little collaspible pylons
  • nylon ropes
  • blanket
  • pillow
  • axe
  • exacto knife
  • code reader (reads and clear codes. i use this to clear codes to get rid of the stupid evap purge valve short code too. i really need to fix this eventually)
  • backroad mapbook (stays in the pathfinder at all times unless I decide to go hiking)

I would like to add a couple more things to it like a folding knife and a machete. there's stuff in the box I didn't list because they're used for other things. I don't need a drill bit set but it's in there. I don't need wood screws but it's in there. I don't really care too much for my little red toolbox and would like to make it more organized.

When I go out for camping/hunting then I add MORE gears to it like a compass, a gps, SPOT, hacksaw, and a sledgehammer if I think I need that.

Blind_Io

Adventurer
Here is what I carry daily in my XTerra. I notice that my tools are very limited and a comprehensive tool kit should be added when venturing outside of civilization. Right now I depend on traveling with others.

The packing of some things has changed. The first aid kit I put together is now in a bright orange bag with a reflective blue medical logo on the front. The survival pack is now in a larger backpack so that first aid supplies and other gear can be carried more easily if one does have to abandon the vehicle (absolute last resort, of course - it's easier to find the vehicle in a search-and-rescue situation than one person on foot). I have also added a small handheld Ham radio with a mag-mount antenna and 12v adapter to the kit. I run two spare tires, both are all-terrains with an E load rating. Some other things that have changed: a can of penetrating oil, a different survival knife (ok, it's a Russian bayonet, but it would be hard to find anything tougher), and my state topo atlas. The lug nut key has been removed and the theft-deterrent lugnuts replaced with standard ones.

Last edited:

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
I dont mean to come across like a know or a safety nazi but the axe in the door pocket could be a big danger in a violent door impact or roll over. Im only mentioning it because i have dealt with roll over crashes and have also been in A fairly violent one my self.

Blind_Io

Adventurer
Not at all, this is valuable feedback and I welcome it. I am considering some Velcro or snap closure straps for both door pouches, but I have not yet worked up a design or decided if I want a full flap or just a couple straps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles