Tool Overkill?

AZCamping

I am a fellow ATC tool roll addict. For me when I take my pickup on trip's I find it much easier to accommodate a large assortment (prob overkill) of tools. I also have the fortune (or misfortune) of having an sandrail that I take out as well. Here weight and space is a bigger issue, and being an aircooled engine with array of after market parts I also have a much higher probability of having to use them. Ive worked my tool roll down to 17.6 lbs, covering the basics of everything I need from volt meter for electrical issues all the way to feeler gauges for valve adjustments with enough spare bolts/jbweld/wire to fix most basic stuff. I don't carry impacts with me when going light, but still feel confident I have the hand tools to be able to handle any maintenance that comes up. My recommendation is when working on your vehicle at home, work out of your kit and do a mental check every time you reach for a tool not in it, adjust contents as needed.

Attachments

• ATC Tool Roll 1 .jpg
    ATC Tool Roll 1 .jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 27
  • ATC Tool Roll 2.jpg
    ATC Tool Roll 2.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Offroad.JPG
    Offroad.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 28

DCH109

Adventurer
Well I use to carry way to many tools and crap. Recovery gear I carry just about double of most items, but I have slimmed down these days.

Tools, WAY down, now I carry 1 tool roll (yes an ATC roll LOL) filled with basic hand tools that fit my vehicle's main bolts and nuts. Only metric as my vehicle is all metric. 1 bottle jack (from a Mercedes van for height and it comes with a long handle), Jack base and that is about it these days.
Yes I have assorted bulbs, zip ties (Metal and plastic), extra lug nuts (where do they go!) and other small spares.

I learned to slim down after riding my Motorcycle across the eastern US and Canada. Not a lot of room for tools on a bike so you bring the essentials. That was basically a T- wrench for 1/4 sockets with a 3/8 adapter (for larger sockets), screwdriver that had multi bits, and a set of double ended wrenches that clipped together, small hammer and small vicegrip. Aside from that, some electrical ends, self sealing waterproof tape and a combo crimper stripper. Light weight and fit in a small bag.

Oh and while not the best tool, in a pinch it is awesome. I carry a craftsman Dog bone wrench.

Last edited:

alia176

Explorer
Part 2:

The contents of the Bogert Kit (30lbs) - Bottle jack adapters and extensions and a baseplate to use same as a jackstand
Tire patch kit and digital torque meter also live in that bag.
The bottle jack itself lives in the cubby where the factory scissor jack used to live.
View attachment 604972

The three main tool bags (~23lbs):

The first roll is cutters, drivers, allen/torx sets, etc.
View attachment 604973

The wrench roll is the Metric set, plus a couple of SAE for fasteners I know I've added, plus adjustables and channel locks.
View attachment 604974

The socket set - 3/8 shallow and deep, 1/4" shallows, and a rail with the few needed torx drivers and 1/2-drive sockets, wobblers, etc.
Combo 1/4"/3/8" extension ratchet, 1/4" hex bit ratchet (surprisingly useful) and adapter to use with it with 1/4" sockets
The big socket on the green ratchet is for the lugs, etc. (not stored in this bag.)
More extensions
Breaker bar
View attachment 604975

Electrical Kit (~3lbs) - this lives in a different spot (mostly for space)
Spare fuses, Multimeter, strippers, crimper, and Speedo programmer
Spare batteries for meter, small zip ties, shrink tubing, tape, and a bit of spare wire
View attachment 604978

Other stuff (not individually weighed):
Hacksaw + blades
Factory lug wench/ratchet kit (including the tool for the tire winch) and pump handle for the bottle jack
Coupling nut on the left is a 22mm nut so I can drive the tire winch tool with the lug socket and ratchet from above - much more convenient than the factory tool
View attachment 604977

I have not included stuff that would otherwise be classed as "recovery" gear. Things like Viair compressor, Factor55 Hitch Link, snatch and tow straps, etc. live elsewhere.

This is an interesting thread and quite amusing to read. Everyone has their ideas of what's "enough" when it comes to carrying tools. After many years of wheeling, I too carry tools in bags vs boxes due to the noise and rattling. I think my vehicle tool kit looks similar to Herbie's, plus or minus couple of things. I also carry a MIG spool gun set to work with 24 or 36vdc. I've yet to use this thing after carrying it for over a decade!

I also subscribe to the notion that vehicle tools should be kept in the vehicles and garage tools shouldn't leave the garage. The exception being a 54mm front wheel bearing lock nut socket and a triple prong rear wheel bearing lock nut socket. They live in the landcruiser but usually get used on the driveway. I've yet to use them on the field fixing mine or someone else's rig but they're just unique enough to really make life hell when you're out in the bush.

Anyway, this has been an entertaining thread.

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94