Tool Overkill?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Yeah, it's a trade off. The Safe Jack kit is top notch, and I really like the "Jack stand" option with it.

If I had a little more payload to play with, I'd keep it, for sure.

The factory scissor jack is lighter, and does a great job of being low enough to get under any flat tire situation, but it's also a struggle with my van being so heavy. Turning that lead screw to lift at the rear axle requires a LOT of input torque, and it's in a slightly awkward position.

I've kept the Safe Jack kit around, I'm not 100% convinced I won't switch back at some point...

Willsfree

Yeah, it's a trade off. The Safe Jack kit is top notch, and I really like the "Jack stand" option with it.

If I had a little more payload to play with, I'd keep it, for sure.

The factory scissor jack is lighter, and does a great job of being low enough to get under any flat tire situation, but it's also a struggle with my van being so heavy. Turning that lead screw to lift at the rear axle requires a LOT of input torque, and it's in a slightly awkward position.

I've kept the Safe Jack kit around, I'm not 100% convinced I won't switch back at some point...
Input torque is something I had not considered...it would be problematic to strain a rib/shoulder/bicep/back muscle while trying to lift my heavier than stock van in an off camber condition. I think I'll go back to the safejack idea. It would give me many more safe options to get the van up and clear of a ditch or varied terrain. Lucky for me, when I had to change the flat last month a strong young dude grabbed the lug nut wrench out of my hand and made quick work of the over torqued nuts; it is common to get a hernia or bulged disc trying loosen a tire. It really is critical to verify that all lug nuts are within proper torque spec in-order to field repair the tire/wheel.

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
I carry a small zippered pouch with basic sockets, screwdriver tips, plyers, etc. when just driving around town. It is about the size of a regular bible. It'll handle most any small job. Gotta swap a battery or an alternator in a parking lot? Got it covered.

When going on an adventure, I have a large canvas tool bag from Home Depot that I essentially transfer a bunch of tools from my shop toolbox into the bag (I need to slowly start buying duplicates so I can have a dedicated tool bag for overlanding). Metric and standard sockets 1/4" drive to 1/2" drive and extensions, star and allen wrench sockets, a ton of wrenches in a wrap, all sorts of pliers, screwdrivers, hammer, etc. (lots of "etc."). The bag is heavy once I'm done. When I get home I unpack it and put the tools back where they belong. It just takes a few minutes either way I've done it so many times.

Tools are my security blanket. If with a group, I don't know who's carrying what tools. I just feel better having them along. 99% of the time the bag never gets opened. Kinda like I don't remember the last time I had to use my car insurance, but I pay it every month.

And I've swapped out a U-joint in the middle of nowhere before.

Last edited:

Wilbah

Adventurer
Good thread and always good to see how others approach things. I always take the approach that I want to be able to fix whatever could leave me high and dry (within reason obviously). But because of that I have more tools than I will likely need (most trips the tool box never gets opened which is good- most days I don't use my car insurance either).

And the higher vehicle quality today has played a hand in that too reducing the amount of breakdowns in general. As a kid driving on the highway you ALWAYS saw cars broken down, overheating etc. Now that is a rarity. But I have replaced wheel bearings in the woods (mid 80's w/oversized wheels/tires- keeping more stock helped that "issue" ha!), had multiple flats which necessitated one guy going for help (even though we had 2 spares), exhaust issues (again, higher quality today w/stainless exhausts have kept that from being an issue lately). So I have hoses, belts, U-Joints, fluids so that the "most likely" culprits can be handled on the trail without turning a PITA situation into a really bad issue (getting towed 100 miles from the back country would not be easy or cheap, not to mention just getting somewhere to find someone to do the tow). I am travelling fullsize though so the weight is less of an issue. I get that with smaller vehicles it is not always an option depending on other "necessities".

trasko

Adventurer
Question for whomever: why all the wrenches? I've always kept a generic adjustable wrench and vise grips under my seat but never felt the need to lug around a bunch of different sized wrenches. Any work I need to perform "on the trail" (or wherever) is both unlikely and only the bare minimum needed to get me back to civilization (or home). I don't see a reason to lug around a bunch of wrenches unless I was expecting to need the convenience or speed associated with using them.

Maybe the problem is I'm not out exploring enough. ;-)

Lmg

There are a lot of places where you cannot get an adjustable wrench or vice grips onto the fastener. Very often you will need socket with extension.

outback97

Adventurer
Question for whomever: why all the wrenches? I've always kept a generic adjustable wrench and vise grips under my seat but never felt the need to lug around a bunch of different sized wrenches. Any work I need to perform "on the trail" (or wherever) is both unlikely and only the bare minimum needed to get me back to civilization (or home). I don't see a reason to lug around a bunch of wrenches unless I was expecting to need the convenience or speed associated with using them.

Maybe the problem is I'm not out exploring enough. ;-)

In my experience adjustable wrenches suck and are much more likely to round off a fastener if you can even get them into the place you need them. Last resort desperation tools for me.

trasko

Adventurer
There are a lot of places where you cannot get an adjustable wrench or vice grips onto the fastener. Very often you will need socket with extension.
I also like to keep a few sockets/extensions/etc on hand. I'm specifically wondering about specific-size wrenches vs. adjustable.

In my experience adjustable wrenches suck and are much more likely to round off a fastener if you can even get them into the place you need them. Last resort desperation tools for me.
Hmm, well that is sorta the point for me. The "toolkit" I have stashed under my seat isn't what I'm going to rebuild an engine with or anything. It's for the "just in case" scenario where I'm stuck out in BFE and need to get back to pavement. I have good tools and plenty of them back home. Or said another way: duct tape, JB weld, bailing wire, vise grips and sawzalls: they are rarely the "proper" solution to a problem but often a highly effective one.

Perhaps this is a personal decision: more weight and bulk for a more proper tool or save some weight/bulk for a less optimal tool. Too me it seems clear in this case but I seem to have the minority opinion. I will admit I don't use wrenches that often. I'll always start w/ sockets and only rely on wrenches when space or other issues make me.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Like others I also travel with Adventure Tools Shop Roll w/ 66 pc Dewalt tool set and it has been super helpful. Full weight is only 23lbs and it rolls up very small, but it has lots of DeWalt tools and tool selection is very well thought out. I added a few of my own specialty tools and about to add some ratcheting wrenches in a few of the more popular SAE/metric sizes. I am afraid to remove a few wrenches I don't think I'll need since once I do Murphy will visit and I'll be stuck on side of road/trail cursing myself.

I keep it in what ever vehicle I am taking as I always feel more comfortable having the right tools for the job at hand. Having a 20 year old vehicle/camper, two Jeeps with each over 200,000 miles and a 53 yr old Camaro, it's pretty amazing how often the tools get used:)

I also carry assortment of electrical connectors, some wire, stripper tool, fuses, multi-meter, duct tape, glue, scissors, waterproof sealing tape and paste, I also have tire repair bag that includes tire repair kit and tire inflator. i also upgraded the rigs lug wrench with larger and longer so I can really get my weight into for those stubborn lug nuts.

WSS

Rock Stacker
Like others I also travel with Adventure Tools Shop Roll w/ 66 pc Dewalt tool set and it has been super helpful. Full weight is only 23lbs and it rolls up very small, but it has lots of DeWalt tools and tool selection is very well thought out. I added a few of my own specialty tools and about to add some ratcheting wrenches in a few of the more popular SAE/metric sizes. I am afraid to remove a few wrenches I don't think I'll need since once I do Murphy will visit and I'll be stuck on side of road/trail cursing myself.

I hear the shop roll is a good piece of gear. My first ATC product was a roll. I thought it was a "shop roll", but it was not. Well made but not a shop roll. Most likely I simply did not know the difference. I do now! The shop roll is probably the only item from ATC I don't have. The pic is just one vehicle. To me the two top ATC items are the large bags and the hybrid wool blanket.

1658848303858.png

last summer South Maui......

1658848357565.png

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Here is my current tool bag in my #LX45....

I keep a similar tool bag in most of my vehicles. These are built in my #TitanToolBag and I generally build the kit(s) around that available space. They aren't typically packed full as I HATE having to fight to get things in and out. I typically also divide and organize the types of tools into smaller bags to help organization.

I try and included some of the tools that make accessing and repairing bigger systems....spindle nut sockets, pinion nut sockets, etc. All this stuff isn't top dollar at all, and I have sacrificed a tool to make a trial repair or modify it to access something. Things like a small TRE puller can be extremely handy and make repairs 10x quicker on things like a bend tie rod or replacing a TRE. A simple slide rule makes it 10x easier to cross a seal or bearing when you are in a pinch....or trying to modify something to work....and it weighs next to nothing.

Even if I can limp to a town for parts, having the tools to install the parts has a lot of value for me. Having to buy tools on top of parts to fix something adds another layer to the headache.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I hear the shop roll is a good piece of gear. My first ATC product was a roll. I thought it was a "shop roll", but it was not. Well made but not a shop roll. Most likely I simply did not know the difference. I do now! The shop roll is probably the only item from ATC I don't have. The pic is just one vehicle. To me the two top ATC items are the large bags and the hybrid wool blanket.

View attachment 733860

View attachment 733861

OK.......that's totally cool!

Mind if I share your photos on some of our other so outlets?

Thanks.

Paul

WSS

Rock Stacker
OK.......that's totally cool!

Mind if I share your photos on some of our other so outlets?

Thanks.

Paul

Of course, use the pics as you need. I noticed the map case flopped open on the center, another very used piece.

ripperj

Explorer

View attachment 733860

View attachment 733861

Dude…. I think you need get to a ATC Anonymous meeting asap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles