Too Many KEYS!

kwill

Observer
This may just be a rant but perhaps someone has figured out an answer to too many keys. I used to drive Ford trucks and loved the external keypad to unlock the vehicle. That and an automatic garage door opener meant I didn't have to carry any keys. Late model cars require a fob or smart key. I need a key for the tailgate and another one for the hard bed cover. One more for the receiver. That's 3 keys and a fob for the truck. My teardrop trailer has keys for the doors, the storage compartment, the tool box and the hitch. That's 4 more for a total of 7 keys and a fob. Any ideas to cut this down?

D

Deleted member 9101

You can get receiver locks and pad locks keyed to match your truck key.

Reactions: plh

jkam

nomadic man
I spent 4 years riding a motorcycle, I had two keys.
Ignition and hard luggage lock.

I miss those simple days.

OP, the answer is, less is better.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I keyed my padlocks to the same as my house key and my rental property keys, don't tell my tenants.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
I dont have a solution, but I also despise how huge keys have gotten. I can hardly fit my keys in my pocket anymore.

quickfarms

Adventurer
The keyless fobs are so big because they actually have a key inside of them.

I like the old metal keys without the plastic stuff on them.

Some keys can be consolidated such as house and padlocks

Most of my vehicles have a separate door and ignition key

My solution has been each vehicle is on its own ring and in the morning I put the necessary rings on a locking carabiner

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
My solution has been each vehicle is on its own ring and in the morning I put the necessary rings on a locking carabiner

That seems to be the best solution I can come up with as well. Unfortunately, I always end up needing to get into the vehicle that I don't have my keys for.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
For my Chinook I replaced 7 tubular locks with 7 different keys to 7 new locks all using one key.....huge difference not fumbling fir keys.

Louisd75

Adventurer
This may just be a rant but perhaps someone has figured out an answer to too many keys. I used to drive Ford trucks and loved the external keypad to unlock the vehicle. That and an automatic garage door opener meant I didn't have to carry any keys. Late model cars require a fob or smart key. I need a key for the tailgate and another one for the hard bed cover. One more for the receiver. That's 3 keys and a fob for the truck. My teardrop trailer has keys for the doors, the storage compartment, the tool box and the hitch. That's 4 more for a total of 7 keys and a fob. Any ideas to cut this down?

On your teardrop do the doors and storage compartments use the same style of latch? I wasn't able to find locks keyed alike when I built my teardrop, but I was able to find that the door latches and storage latches were made by the same company and lock cores were available to rekey them alike. Then, of course, I changed my mind and eliminated the storage compartment doors. I think they were all made by Wesco.

kwill

Observer
Thanks for the suggestions. The Bolt system looks great but I don't think it works with my 2019 Toyota. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles