Tonneau cover

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'd like a rollback-style tonneau cover for the Power Wagon --- something strong.
I've already been referred to Rollbak but they cost a kidney and first born...

Any ideas?

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Here's what I'm running on the Tundra....

100_1723a.jpg

100_1725a.jpg

It's an Agri-cover brand Access rack and tonneau model. The hardware is well made, the cover itself is heavy material, the tautness is fully adjustable so it's snugs up tight and is quiet, and it's water tight. Easy to roll back with built in keeper straps and just as easy to roll back out and seal. Also really easy to remove if needed and just as easy to reinstall. Agri-cover doesn't make this rack and cover anymore but the stand alone slant sided tonneau is still available.

I had a Truxedo brand on my old Dodge and was not real happy with it as it leaked, tore easily and was much more reactive to temps as far as tautness than the Agri-cover.

I'm not a fan of the hard slat roll up covers as mud and debris can foul up their operation. And the snap tonneaus are more of a pain than their worth...been there, done that.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
We had a similar tri-fold hard cover on one of our work trucks a few years back. Our thought was that is was a more secure set-up for all the chainsaws, tool, chokers, fuel and oil cans bouncing around in the back of the truck. But we all ended up hating it 'cause it was always in the way when we need to haul anything of any size and than it would be thrown off and taking up space around the shop. Ended up that most times it was off the truck as no one wanted to deal with it. But that was on a work truck and if you don't plan on using your truck for hauling that style of cover should work fine.

So I'm prejudiced against flip style, hard tonneaus and prefer the versatility of the roll back soft tonneaus.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The PW is a commuter, home-owner hauler, but mostly for camping. The hard cover will be perfect.

The prices for them are, ummmm, extreme though...

RusherRacing

Adventurer
Very curious what truxedo cover you had? It must have been an earlier model. Truxedo Orginal, Truck Hyde, or early Truxport?

But anyhow PM'd.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
My F 150s had hard covers, the 99 was fiberglass, the 20 is some hard plastic type stuff. Should be able to find a used one at a salvage yard.

'bout 10 years ago, a guy down the street made one, 2 sheets of 1/2 ext. ply. Ran the 8' length width wise cut to about 4+ foot something/5'. Left over pieces went the other direction underneath the top layer, glued screwed. It laid in an aluminum frame on the bed rails and got hardware from Lowes.

Then he smeared glue on the entire top and upholstered it with outdoor vinal. Put on two gas struts and done!

He rounded the ends of the aluminum angle at the back, looked pretty good up close and when he passed by it looked like a nice factory job from someplace.

Bet he had less than $200 in the whole thing. His was about the same weight as my fiberglass cover.

If it had been mine, I'd probably fill the butt joint on the two pieces and use bed liner over the top, paint the underneath side. But the vinal did look nice.

Long ago, like 20 years ago, saw an aluminum cover the lifted 3 ways, hinged on a center hard section with both side lifted up from either side, then close those lids and the whole thing lifted from the rear. That would be very handy getting stuff up near the cab from either side. This was on a work truck. I've seen others that opened from the sides that had tool boxes below the side hatches, but I don't thing the lifted from the rear. :cool:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Bill, I just retrofitted a ReTrax XR so I could lock/cover whilst retaining my Leitner rack. Nice cover!
I also have a trifold solid cover for 6.5’ bed if you’re interested- can’t remember if it was on my PW or F-350 or both, but think it was the PW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles