Tonneau cover recomendation . . .

Bucky

Observer
Tonneau cover recommendation . . .

Hey, Gang,

I've been thinking of putting a roll-up tonneau cover on my truck during the times the 2004 FWC Hawk is on blocks under covered storage.

The low profile, inside-the-bedrail covers look nice, but I think the clamp-on rails for the cover would eat up the width I need for the camper. If I choose that option, I'd have to uninstall the cover rails every time I want the camper on the truck. Maybe not a big deal once I've done it a couple of times.

Another option would be a tri-fold cover with its own frame that sits on the bedrails, like Extang's Trifecta:

http://extang.com/docs/trifecta.html

Easy on, easy off.

Would appreciate comments from anyone who has swapped out a camper and tonneau cover, or from anyone else who would like to weigh in with their opinion/recommendation.

Thanks!

Bucky
New Bern, NC

Last edited:

takesiteasy

Adventurer
snip... If I choose that option, I'd have to uninstall the cover rails every time I want the camper on the truck. Maybe not a big deal once I've done it a couple of times. ...snip

I had an Access cover on my Tacoma and had to remove it for the reason you said. Putting the side rails on and off is a hassle and I don't do it. Looking for a solution as are you.

Bucky

Observer
Brian,

I like the look of the BakFlip cover, especially that it folds completely up so you can use the entire truck bed.

Which one did you have? Can you estimate how wide each rail is? The rails look narrower than those with other inside-the-rails covers I've seen.

They are kind of pricey, and I do need a new bow-mounted troller.

But, if they can overcome the width problem, they're in the running.

Bucky

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I saw this cover on a small demo frame at Truckers Toy Store in Morehead City, NC today.

It looks good, sits on the bedrails and comes assembled. It includes a built-in 3-LED light in the cover:

http://www.ruggedliner.com/product-rugged-cover.php

Easy on, easy off.

$323 and change on Amazon.com.

It's in the running.

Bucky

That looks like a possibility, let me know if you get one. I would also like to have a cover when the camper is not on the truck.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I had the g2, picked it up used for $250. The side rails were very small, I want to say the only came into the bed 1/2" at most.

Brian,

I like the look of the BakFlip cover, especially that it folds completely up so you can use the entire truck bed.

Which one did you have? Can you estimate how wide each rail is? The rails look narrower than those with other inside-the-rails covers I've seen.

They are kind of pricey, and I do need a new bow-mounted troller.

But, if they can overcome the width problem, they're in the running.

Bucky

takesiteasy

Adventurer
The Lund and Ruggedliner look similar and seem to be good solutions. I wish they rolled up out of the way like my old Access cover. A very useful feature when loading mulch (which I do a lot). The Backflip works for this but I would be concerned with any encroachment into the bed by the rails. My camper leaves very little room for that. It's hard enough already lining it up without having to worry about tonno rails being in the way. I guess I would have to see it in person before deciding.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
You'd have to look at a bakflip cover in person I guess if clearance is that close. I doubt it would be an issue. Normally the tailgate opening is a couple inches narrower (I think that's a word) than the bed rails by several inches. The rails for the bakflip did not stick out (in) past the tailgate opening. In other words the camper has to fit through the opening so the rails wouldn't interfere. Again every truck is a little different but the rails really don't protrude much at all.
I liked the bakflip because I wanted a hard cover that was easy to move remove myself, and was much more secure and durable than fabric. The g2 has to be opened from the underside, and I had a locking tailgate. Sure you could have pried it open with a crow bar, but it wasn't like someone could walk up and punch through it. No worries about mildew, automatic car washes, etc. Also it folds up easily for carrying larger items, folded against the cab. I'd buy one again in a heart beat if I had a truck. I sold it because I bought a leer canopy. When I bought my camper is wished I had the g2 back.

mkish

Adventurer
I have the Extang Trifecta and it's been great so far. Pretty watertight. Haven't tested it in anything cold to see if it gets brittle or can handle a snow load. Seems secure with a locking tailgate (I'm sure you could get in with a box cutter since it's soft) and really actually IS as easy to pop on and off as the manufacturer claims. Nothing to attach.

BillTex

Adventurer
We have Extang Classic (I believe) it has been great, everything stays dry, the rails are NOT in the way when I put the TC on. It is our 2nd Extang product...both held up very well.

B

Edit...we have the Express model (just checked) very easy to work with. Have used it in VERY cold temps (skiing) well below 0 deg F...no problems.
I would buy this model again.

Bucky

Observer
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions so far.

Rugged Cover is out of the running because of the warranty exclusion for the vinyl cover . . . "Vinyl Cover Cannot be Replaced."

http://www.ruggedliner.com/misc/FoldingTonneauWarranty.pdf

And, the Rugged Cover is NOT made in the USA; I'm thinking China, and I don't want to give any more money to the CHICOMS than I have to.

Leaning toward the Extang Trifecta Signature Series folding cover. Easy on, easy off. Weighs around 35 lbs, so easy for a "seasoned citizen" like me to handle. The Signature Series is an upgrade that costs around $450 on Amazon (Trifecta vinyl is $395). It's canvas on vinyl; looks like a ragtop convertible cover, and has the same 10-year tarp warranty. And, yes, it is made in the good ol' USA, in Ann Arbor, Michigan, about 30 miles from where I grew up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O2PLN0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

mkish: Did your Extang Trifecta install on the truck's painted bedrails (as opposed to a plastic rail cap)? If so, how did the paint react to contact with the cover's weather seal?

If I didn't have the camper issue, I'd probably go for a low profile cover, soft or hard, that fits inside the truck's bedrails.

Will post back here once I've made the decision, and also when I've installed the cover (with pics).

Bucky

FEB. 14, 2013
RUGGED LINER CLARIFICATION

Spoke to the Rugged Liner people just now. They DO cover the soft vinyl tarp under their warranty for stitching, defect, deterioration of the material, etc. When the say they "Vinyl Cover Cannot be Replaced", it means the consumer will not be able to replace the cover. I suggested to Rugged Liner that they separate the warranty and replacement parts information to individual web pages, and tighten up the language/terms because it's too confusing for the consumer. (Posting this in the interest of fairness. I've already bought and installed an Extang cover, as detailed later in the thread.)

Last edited:

mkish

Adventurer
My truck has plastic on the bedrails and it just sits on that. I did a lot of armchair research before picking that one and didn't see any comments about paint damage. I read it on the internet so it must be true! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles