Tom Sheppards Expedition Guide

teotwaki

Excelsior!
there was a reprint of this done last year through cooperation with expeditionswest(?) if I remember correctly

That was version 2.1 in paperback that was printed last year. The one in this thread just sold on EBay and was a hardcover 1st edition.

Different versions show up on EBay every so often. Some are collectible and some are priced to match the market demand.

luk4mud

Explorer
Being a cheapo by nature first and never having read the book second, I am sort of sticker shocked by this. If someone wants it as a collectors item I guess that is their perogative, but is the book's information, which I understand was written with tips for Defender 90 owners and includes no U.S. specific expedition information, really worth this price? Can the same info be found elsewhere and cheaper? I am not saying this is not good information, just questioning the propriety of spending this kind of dough on it.

FYI, I am a new OE subscriber and like the publication. Although it is a bit pricey, I see it as a way to support this great forum.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
That was a good price. The VDEG is basically a college-level text on overland expeditions. Worth every penny of the $225 paid if you do a lot of vehicle-based travel.

-H-

luk4mud

Explorer
That was a good price. The VDEG is basically a college-level text on overland expeditions. Worth every penny of the $225 paid if you do a lot of vehicle-based travel.

-H-

Then maybe we have a publishing opportunity here, Let's figure out who owns the rights to it, acquire a license for a reasonable price and then publish a softbound edition for $39.95 or less. Should be able to make some $ on this and provide a great price break to the expedition community.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Tom Sheppard is well-known in this community, just market demands for the price and in low volume.

VikingVince

Explorer
Being a cheapo by nature first and never having read the book second, I am sort of sticker shocked by this. If someone wants it as a collectors item I guess that is their perogative, but is the book's information, which I understand was written with tips for Defender 90 owners and includes no U.S. specific expedition information, really worth this price? Can the same info be found elsewhere and cheaper? I am not saying this is not good information, just questioning the propriety of spending this kind of dough on it.

FYI, I am a new OE subscriber and like the publication. Although it is a bit pricey, I see it as a way to support this great forum.

I think you raise good points. I've read parts of the book...I would say it's NOT worth it in terms of its content for American vehicles and overlanding in general. You can find and/or collect all the same information from other sources (books, online) for much less and even free. The book commands the price it does because it's out of print, considered a collectors item, the "bible" of overlanding, etc....Personally, it would not be worth several hundred dollars to me but it certainly might be to others...obviously!

computeruser

Explorer
In its day, I have no doubt that it was worth every penny. But that was a different time. Today, there is nothing in that book that one can't glean from reading on the web and learning from the (often comprehensively detailed) experiences of others. Having subscribed to OJ and having purchased (and promptly resold) VDEG 2.1, I would consider a multi-year subscription to Overland Journal, and the purchase of the back issues, to be a much better investment.

CYi5

Explorer
In its day, I have no doubt that it was worth every penny. But that was a different time. Today, there is nothing in that book that one can't glean from reading on the web and learning from the (often comprehensively detailed) experiences of others. Having subscribed to OJ and having purchased (and promptly resold) VDEG 2.1, I would consider a multi-year subscription to Overland Journal, and the purchase of the back issues, to be a much better investment.

X2, I picked up the newer and more affordable 2.1 and I think computeruser is spot on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier