Today's Essay

Michael Slade

Untitled
No, it's not about photographic education. That one is still in draft form. I wrote this essay early this morning.

------Start------

Once upon a time, back when I was first asked to write an 'artists statement' about my project, I included these words:

"You however, are not my intended audience. I am creating this work to stand as a record for those who may never get to experience Great Salt Lake. You can come and visit it if you would like, others in future generations will not be able to experience the lake as it is today. It is those viewers that I am hoping to enlighten."

Several people that I respect read those words and suggested that I remove them, so I did. It is a little harsh. Basically true, but harsh. Harsh in a way that I thought might alienate my audience. So...I removed the text.

I bring this up only to remind myself that I am not really creating this work and these images for any one single person besides myself. I am not trying to please any particular group of people. I am not doing this to win a Pulitzer Prize (although that would be fun wouldn't it?).

Last month I entered a photographic competition which is created for projects that are broad and in-depth. After reading the judges statements from prior years and looking at previous award winners, I decided that my project could probably use exposure to a broader audience, and might actually stand a chance of winning something. I want this work to be seen and the story of Great Salt Lake to be known by more than just a small core of individuals.

For 2 months I sat patiently, writing my acceptance speech on a napkin to have 'just in case'. Last week I started to get a little nervous as the deadline approached. This week I was a total basket case checking the competition's website for any news announcing the winners. Finally yesterday a statement was made on their website to 'stay tuned to your e-mail'. So...I did.

I checked it. Frequently. Religiously. Anxiously. Obsessively. Thankfully I was rescued by some diversions yesterday and was forced to take my mind off of it, but those didn't last long, and I was again tempted by the siren call to check 'just one more time'.

I figured I'd at least get something in the e-mail. The project's organizers had said that they would contact those who were in the top 5, 10 and 20 percent of the judging as to encourage and reward their good efforts. Previous year's competitions had seen up to 800 entries and I figured, what's 20 percent of 800? 160 or so? Is my math really that bad? I figure I have a pretty good project, I should at least get in the top 20 percent shouldn't I? Of course I should!

So...anxiously I awaited to see how well I would place. I even announced my obsession on facebook.

Last night, late, the announcements were made.

The only announcement that I received was that I would not be getting any awards.

What..the...F*&^????? No awards? No accolades? No parades down main street? Not even a pat on the back? There must be some mistake! I hurriedly re-scanned the list of award winners thinking I must have been in too much of a frenzied state to recognized my own name the first time I scanned the list. I went over it again, upways and sideways and crossways and backways...it's starting to sound like a Willy Wonka monologue, but no, my name is still nowhere to be seen.

I lean back in bed and realize that I am actually very disappointed. I am bummed. I am even somewhat sick and light-headed about it. Then, I am mad. I am angry. I take it out on the nearest available person...my wife sitting patiently in bed next to me. She knows I'm just venting and let's me rant. She knows I'll get over it but still offers some words of compassion. Not many, but enough.

I lay down and fall asleep angry. I feel betrayed and sad. More angry than sad, and less betrayed than sad, yet more angry than not, and still with an underlying current of sadness and betrayal topped with a thick frosting of anger and bitterness mixed with cinnamon and nutmeg. No wait, that sounds yummy...there was no cinnamon and nutmeg...just bile and sourness and putrid anger and disappointment. I don't know when my consciousness blended into my unconsciousness, but clearly it wasn't long after closing my eyes.

I woke up this morning at 5:15, eyes wide open. I realize I went to bed angry, but now all I can think about is something that I heard once from my favorite musician, guitarist Pat Metheny.

He said, and I paraphrase...it is only 6:30 in the morning right now...”I don't care if people like my music, I only care if I like my music. If, after I present my music, people like it, that is great. If they don't like it, that's fine too, but I don't make my music to be liked or not, I make it for me.”

When he said that, I was angry. Who was he to discount me as his 'biggest fan'? I have over 30 of his CD's and can 'air-guitar' nearly every solo perfectly! I've seen him in concert...twice! I had him autograph a photo I took of him playing in Portland! I am a HUGE fan! Who does he think he is after all? Without me, the adoring fan, he would be NOTHING! Of all the nerve!

As I have thought and re-thought about this statement, the clearer it became and the more sense it made. Of course he doesn't make his music for others, he is not a commercial songwriter, he is an artist. For me to accept that about his work, I would have to accept that about my own work.

For a long time I made my living shooting photographs for other people. Clients who would pay me to do it exactly how they wanted. They hired me based on my ability to deliver what they needed. Occasionally I would get the great client who liked my interpretation and let me have a pretty loose leash, but ultimately it was them paying me, and if they didn't like it, I would re-shoot it.

This Great Salt Lake Photographic Survey is not for a client. It is not for any particular group of people. It is for me.

It sucks when that attitude conflicts with me being mad about not placing in a competition. Inner turmoil. The angst of the tortured artist.

I know it's not supposed to make me mad when other's don't like the work. After all, it is only for me right? If you like it, great! If not, that's fine too. Right?

So, now I'm drafting a letter in my head. It goes something like this:

Dear Judges,

Can I have my 150 bucks back?

horse-reassembledpano.jpg

Horse - Reassembled, Rozel Flat, Great Salt Lake, Utah, 2008

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
contests...

Years ago I went to a Bill Greene (a great Boston Globe staff photographer) talk at the ICP, he said something to the effect about contests, "when you win the judges were clearly brilliant, insightful people, when you lose, they were idiots."

After all these years, I still agree with him ; )

I don't enter competitions, but probably for a different reason. There have been numerous times that I have thought long and hard about entering photographic competitions, especially after looking at the work of some of the previous winners. I don't mean for that to sound arrogant. It's not. It's more about being my own harshest critic and learning to accept my own work. The reason I don't enter contests is that I have become obsessive about reading the terms of entry and ferreting out any efforts to acquire a license to the artist's work. Too many competitions acquire rights they should not be entitled to simply by your having entered. ASMP and the Stock Artists Alliance are similarly obsessive about watching for these pick-pockets out preying on the fragile egos of artists.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Just think along the lines of Salvador Dali,

Not an exact quote butrumoured to have occured during an exam in front of the Universities panel ended somthing like this

"I cannot be judged by this panel of peer's because they are not peers, but inferior to me and are therefore not capable of judging my work"

Just before he got expelled:)

I love your Pic's and here's your prize

a large box of virtual chocolate

:26_34_3:

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Well how ironic that you post this after our little discussion the other day. Michael, chapter 4, "Fears about others." From page 43, "at any given moment, the world offers vastly more support to the work it already understands." In this case, I think that statement can be applied to both the subject, and to you, the artist. Hold on to that and don't forget the story of Franz Schubert.

For the rest of you I'm referring to the book Art & Fear. Highly recommended reading by the way, for all artists, of all genres, and of all levels.

Michael Slade

Untitled
"at any given moment, the world offers vastly more support to the work it already understands."

Oh man, I totally forgot that part. Clearly I need to get another copy and re-read it. I've given each copy I've had away, and now I don't have one!

Thanks for the reminder. I may have to write sometime about the two most brutal critiques I've ever recieved. Back-to-back within a month. Sent me into a tailspin that when I recovered I went on to start my GSL project.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Hey Mike, I'm thinking as eloquently as you wrote about your anxiousness in entering the contest, you should be writing more. Looks like you're already pretty talented at both writing and photography.

One of the main reasons I dont enter contests anymore. Ever notice how the winners always are some shot you wouldnt take a second look at!?!

That shot of the horse is very cool

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Michael, keep your chin up. Your work has seriously led me to have a tender and growing affection with the Great Salt Lake Desert. Prior to last year I paid little to no attention to such a major part of our state, I knew it was there and I knew what was there, or at least I thought I did. Little did I know there was such a bigger story up there, a story you are not only telling with pictures but mastering with pictures. I've have the opportunity to attend two of your GSL presentations and would jump at the chance to see another, inspiring to say the least. A winner in my book.

More importantly I'm glad you were able to get out and enjoy the GSL desert, even if you did have a minor incident ;) I must admit my heart skipped a beat when I listened to your voicemail late last night. I had just pulled into the driveway from a long weekend in the Swell, when on a whim I listened to my voicemail as I sat in the driveway ~11pm last night. Your first message had me worried, though in a distorted way I was hoping you were hanging out next to your rig enjoying a good book and waiting for a rescue. I had just mentioned to Candace "get your seatbelt back on" when I listened to your second message, releived but at the same time a little bummed that I didn't get to come pay you back for all your inspiration over the past couple years.

Keep up the good work!!!

Skylinerider

Adventurer
Michael, keep your chin up. Your work has seriously led me to have a tender and growing affection with the Great Salt Lake Desert. Prior to last year I paid little to no attention to such a major part of our state, I knew it was there and I knew what was there, or at least I thought I did. Little did I know there was such a bigger story up there, a story you are not only telling with pictures but mastering with pictures.

X2 I couldn't agree more. I've told you more than once how my wife blames you for my lasting obsession with the GSL. If you EVER need help digging out your vehicle, I'm here as well.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
The challenges of being creative Manifesto It is an easy poignant read.

The best rewards come from within - endless and without judgement. The work is the work, something we have to do... it stands on its own with no fanfare. Keep going, keep doing, keep showing, don't stop for anything or anyone. The best rewards come from within - endless and without judgement.

Pat never stopped since 1976 - I have seen him 100's of times and hear him daily - I thank him everyday for not stopping. I would appreciate it if you would also not stop, your work is killer :coffee:

Michael Slade

Untitled
The challenges of being creative Manifesto It is an easy poignant read.

Holy crap that is a good article.

I printed out all 50 pages and hung it in the hall for my students to read. It was amazing that after they all got done complaining at how long it was, they actually got REAL quiet and started reading.

I'm going to leave it up for a while.

Attachments

• HowToBeCreativePano.jpg
    HowToBeCreativePano.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

sami

Explorer
Another GSL inspired soul thanks to the artistic, and artistically whitty Michael Slade. :)

BTW.. Just imagine if all the photographers got together and had a competition on who has the more awesome vehicles... You'd be up there buddy!

dhackney

Expedition Leader
Michael,

Great thread. Great writing. Don't short change that aspect of your creativity. I encourage you to explore some photo essays.

The best rewards come from within - endless and without judgement.

I couldn't agree more.

If you do choose to enter juried competitions, keep these things in mind.

338. Award Politics

Every award, no matter how small or large, from the “National Plumbing Association Best New Gate Valve, Brass, 2 inches and Larger” to the Nobel Peace Prize, is political.

The higher the prestige and wider the press coverage, the more political the selection of the winner is. Entertainment awards, in particular, are almost always blatant political statements, endorsement, protests, snubs, etc.

I've sat on many judging panels. Every award is political.

(excerpted from a book I wrote last year)

For people who desire to brave these realities, here are some basics for success:
1. Read the entry requirements. Read them again.
2. Follow the directions and requirements. Exactly. No, you are not exempt from the rules because your work is so inherently superior and ground-breakingly new and innovative.
3. Go back and confirm for the third time that you met the entry requirements - exactly.

In my experience as a judge, if you follow those three steps, you will typically separate yourself from at least 60% of the entries.

4. Read the entry categories carefully. Think long and hard about which category is appropriate for your work. If there is no category that matches your work, reconsider your entry into the contest.

If you follow this step carefully, in my experience as a judge, you will separate yourself from about half of the remaining entries.

Note that the judging has not yet really begun in the contest and about 80% of the entries are already on the reject stack. Contests often attract a lot of entries. Judges do not have an infinite amount of time to dedicate to judging. There is hobnobbing to be done, after all. The first and second cut, compliance to entry requirements and suitability to category, function as quick and easy ways for the judges to cut down the entries into a manageable task.

Now, about 20% of the entries remain and the politics begin. :)

In my experience, it is very rare that any one entry in any category stands head and shoulders above all others. It is often a nuance that determines a winner and there is also, typically, horse trading between categories, as in, "I know you are a strong supporter of entry X in category Y. I'll go with you there if you'll stand with me on entry A in category B."

Michael, don't despair. This could have been a year when only entries that focused on a different topic/technique/geographic location/subject matter/etc., were even considered for an award due to political factors that had nothing to do with your work.

Don't stop entering. An award can be a big differentiator, and it also automatically puts you into the category of work the world already understands.

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles