Toasty's Garage

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Well my actual shop is very far from those cool custom fab shop jobs, but those cool jobs don't pay very well unless you own the shop. I hope to find a good talented kid who knows his or her stuff but we'll see. It would be way cool to have another Montero guy here welding or if i find the right kid i can convince him to get a Monty because we have 4 jeep guys here and only 3 Montero guys now that Ernesto switched teams.

Last edited:

Doing_Dirt

Well my actual shop is very far from those cool custom fab shop jobs, but those cool jobs don't pay very well unless you own the shop. I hope to find a good talented kid who knows his or her stuff but we'll see. It would be way cool to have another Montero guy here welding or if i find the right kid i can convince him to get a Monty because we have 4 jeep guys here and only 3 Montero guys now that Ernesto switched teams.
Ive seen people come in and talk to the instructors to ask who is a good fit for employment. The instructors based their judgement on attendance, drive, and attitude. Youngsters old enough to buy smokes would have a career only a few months into the program. I think if you hit the colleges that offered welding you would find the employees you need. Im not sure where you are located, but here being a ship building town, we have plenty of certified (3G) welders looking for work. The problem is they are certified and want certified union pay. Find the skilled non-certified welders and you have a gold mine. If you are in San Diego, I would love to help out.

Last edited:

Toasty

I'm looking for someone with 3&4G certs, for the right guy we would give a year to get his certs and we'd pay for them. I do need someone with some experience though, this is a journeyman level job. Kids coming straight out of school are probably not a good fit, a few years experienced out of school would be ok.

The new guys kinda get thrown to the wolves on their shifts, they work alone so they need to know how to do a lot of things. Some of these kids are really skilled and knowledgeable on repairs, others weld great but don't know anything.

Doing_Dirt

I'm looking for someone with 3&4G certs, for the right guy we would give a year to get his certs and we'd pay for them. I do need someone with some experience though, this is a journeyman level job. Kids coming straight out of school are probably not a good fit, a few years experienced out of school would be ok.

The new guys kinda get thrown to the wolves on their shifts, they work alone so they need to know how to do a lot of things. Some of these kids are really skilled and knowledgeable on repairs, others weld great but don't know anything.
Oh yeah I hear you. You would be surprised how many are coming out of school with certs. The ECC welding school offers the tests for all processes. Most graduate with GMAW, SMAW, GTAW & FCAW 3&4 G certs.

The welding school I went to was only 9 months long and didn't offer these tests. The ECC school is 2 years long. Wish I stayed there when I started, but dummy me transferred to auobody and paint.

Toasty

PAJ brought over a couple sets of Superwinch hubs yesterday as well as his wheel hubs. I went ahead and tested the inner splines on our axles and outer splines in my wheel hubs.
20181008_134500.jpg
On his wheel hubs i removed the races, bead blasted and cleaned. They look like this now.
20181009_093210.jpg

Oso

Forest Defecator
How do the Superwinch hubs compare to the Aisin ones? Are they as strong?
They’re not as strong, but they’re not a bad option if you can you source aisin hubs. I think you can still get aisin hubs on amazon.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
We opted for the superwinch because we have had decent success with them on a Montero. With doing the Dana 44 swap we have a ton of options but I've seen people blow the warm hubs which are more commonly used. I think eventually when we build up the axles to the next level (Reid Racing Knuckles, RCV shafts) we will end up going drive slugs more than likely, but that will be much further down the road. Also another advantage is the superwinch hubs are stubby compared to Warn.

AZPAJERO

Observer
So whatdja get done this weekend?

CJWqmrXWoAIRLnW.jpg

Toasty

Haven't been able to do much the last couple weeks, fall break had me trying to keep my son entertained then last week my wife was very sick so I've been busy with that. She felt well enough to want to clean up the Gen 1 yesterday so we cleaned and polished that. It actually looks pretty good, today Ernest and I worked on axles again.

20181022_090208.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94