Toasty's Garage

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Jelly of that shop. The things i could do...

The new shop is pretty awesome, wish i could use it for Monteros. If i can ever find a couple of good welders to hire I'll spend more time out there.

Toasty

Today i just worked with Ernest removing the gears from the housings and forgot to take pics. Interesting other thing I worked on was this little drive shaft, they had hired a "welder" to fix it once before. It broke again and again so by the time i got it there was no longer a press fit between the shaft and the belt pulley.

You can see the quality workmanship (they paid big bucks for this)

20181002_143853.jpg20181002_143858.jpg

I machined off the junk

20181002_151344.jpg

Centered and rewelded the shaft, resulting in .005" runout which is pretty straight.

20181002_155948.jpg

And polished that knob and removed the marring from the previous guy's hammer.

20181002_162458.jpg

They were really happy, the end.

Toasty

Wow poor weld quality and penetration. Yours looks much better. You do 2 or 3 passes?

Dude, the pitting from the previous repair was unreal for how little penetration they got on the actual weld. I did a single pass of .045 dual shield 71 Elite which is a way hardcore wire for what this thing is.

Toasty

I was starting to wonder if people were actually reading this thread since it's absent of any real tech and full of nonsensical BS.

ChargerX3

Observer
I was starting to wonder if people were actually reading this thread since it's absent of any real tech and full of nonsensical BS.
I dig the welding stuff. It’s a beautiful art or in some cases a horrid mess. You really laid that wire down well especially for one pass. Of course dual shield helps out ;)

The guy befor you must have either crossed polarities or thought he was working with flux core and no gas. Either way...much better!

Toasty

I seem to attract other people's rework, lot's of "welders" out there. It's been impossible to hire a good welder at my shop, 90% of the guys i interview talk a big game then can't pass a simple weld test. It's like they've never welded before in their lives, all the good welders have felony priors or can't pass a drug screen. I actually had a kid interview who had never welded with dual shield nor used carbon arc, he figured it out and passed the tests with way better welds than any of the more experienced guys. Unfortunately the job involves a lot more than just laying down a nice bead and he didn't know anything else at all, I'm hoping he comes back someday with more experience.

ChargerX3

Observer
We are a dying breed. Well probably moreso you. I just dabble in it now. Good luck finding a good welder. Part of the problem is nobody wants to pay a higher wage for this trade.

Toasty

Yeah, the good welders are at the mines here. They're making $60+ an hour plus heaps of overtime, as long as copper prices are high mostly bottom feeders are applying at shops.

Toasty

This is what I'm doing today, Peterbuilt torque rod mount. I do a lot of heavy axle repair.
20181003_210134.jpg

Toasty

Don't give me too much credit It's prepped within an inch or so to the weld, it's just hard to tell because of the smoke from the weld and how dark it is under the truck. Surface prep is my jam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94