Toasty's '98 Montero Build

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
@sami_voodoo you did great on your part and I'm not worried about it, I was just stating that you gave me a shorter option in machining my T-case input gear and I declined in favor of what I thought would be quicker. Here I am just now wrapping up this swap after a year.

Toasty

Worked on the fuel pressure regulator a couple nights ago. The goal was to hybridize the two. You can see the Montero has two fuel lines, pressure and return where the Lexus has one with a built in return. I feel that this could be done a number of ways and the return doesn't need to be in tank. I chose to use the in tank return just because it's less hoses and lines, the pump is easy access on the Montero so it might not make sense in a different vehicle.

Lexus SC fuel pump on the left Montero on the right

20210921_173211.jpg

Montero Left, Lexus Right

20210921_173319.jpg

I took them both apart and made cut lines, the bracket in the tank for the Montero pump needed a relief ground into it to clear the FPR as well. Super easy.

20210921_175018.jpg

Originally I had planned to braze the lines together but that meant prying that 22 year old sensor out of it's crimped boss. I don't think I can easily get that part so I just used fuel hose at the connection. Welded shut the old return and here's the resulting assembly, got a new pump and gasket coming now.

20210921_184307.jpg

CharlieNorth

Wish I chimed in earlier, In my swap the Eclipse engine uses a returnless system as is common now. I used a Bosch filter regulator mounted back near the tank. One of these with a 4bar pressure which id close to what late Mitsus use. Mine is mounted just in front of the tank with two lines from the pump and a single up to the engine.
Ye982rl.jpg

Need to add this shot where I put the filter/regulator,
OwFmCrX.jpg

Last edited:

CharlieNorth

I had originally bought the Bosch filter-reg but once I got it I came to realize it was a 5.6 Bar unit, I'm guessing that is for DI engines.
It appears the offbrand 4.0 bar filter might be from the same or near factory in China, I can't tell but will buy a spare.

Toasty

Realized I hadn't updated in a while, still plugging along. Installed a pair of fans worth 3280cfm of airflow up front.

20220122_140950.jpg

Then I got working on my exhaust which I absolutely hate doing but for the price of what you get at an exhaust shop anymore I did mine myself. Went with a single 2.5" stainless into a Magnaflow cat and Flowmaster Muffler, not as pretty as Charlie's but it'll do the job.
20220126_181019.jpg
20220209_175125.jpg
20220221_135747.jpg

Here's a couple pictures for funsies, I'm about to move soon too so it'll be paused for a minute.

IMG_20220116_140216_504.jpg

I also wanted to refresh my diff decals after putting all the effort into new gears and LSDs so I made some new holographic dacals to better label the contents.

IMG_20220326_182054_863.jpg

Realized I hadn't updated in a while, still plugging along. Installed a pair of fans worth 3280cfm of airflow up front.

View attachment 715853

Then I got working on my exhaust which I absolutely hate doing but for the price of what you get at an exhaust shop anymore I did mine myself. Went with a single 2.5" stainless into a Magnaflow cat and Flowmaster Muffler, not as pretty as Charlie's but it'll do the job.
View attachment 715854
View attachment 715855
View attachment 715856

Here's a couple pictures for funsies, I'm about to move soon too so it'll be paused for a minute.

View attachment 715857

I also wanted to refresh my diff decals after putting all the effort into new gears and LSDs so I made some new holographic dacals to better label the contents.

View attachment 715858

How’s the sound now? Cold start video please!

Toasty

Your choice of wheels suit my style just fine, clean and simple 6 spoke. Someday I will get some.

I love 6 spoke wheels on Monteros, I think they're perfect. I really wanted some era correct Japanese aftermarket wheels for a Pajero but they are really expensive to import. I actually found these on accident, my grandfather wanted me to find him some Chevy rally wheels for his K series 4x4. I found these advertised as Chevy wheels for $300, I thought they looked like JDM wheels so I went and checked them out and sure enough someone at some point bought a set of Enkei wheels with the Pajero 108mm bore for their K5 Blazer. I just gotta get new tires, they came with 33x14" tires and they're crazy wide.

Reactions: plh

Toasty

Just read your thread, pretty sweet engine swap. Can you do a start up and drive video?

I will, I haven't been working on it much lately. Been occupied with my '99 and '90, the '98 doesn't actually run yet. It still has some wiring left to do, Ignition, ABS and some lights. It sucks to be stalled on minor details I know but I'm not willing to take any short cuts, which reminds me that I need to order the key antenna! Hopefully I'll be back at this full swing soon now that the '99 is back up 100% minus body damage.

Toasty

Sent the truck off to have the wiring and electronics finished a couple weeks ago! Hopefully I'll have it back before the end of the year, I've been waiting a long time to get my rig into this shop. Once I get it back I'll be rebuilding the suspension and axles, installing new tires and getting a cool stereo and redoing the interior. I've got some nice fabrics picked out but I still need an industrial sewing machine, I'm looking at Juki and Consew Machines does anyone on here have any experience with these things? They're kind of expensive and I don't want something that will be a pain to use or breaks all the time.

20220918_111358.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles