Toasty's '98 Montero Build

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Sounds similar to my rebuild last year. Still curious why you went down instead of up to remove the block. I would never have thought of that. How did you get the truck up high enough? Also, it appears you left the front drivetrain in place. I wouldn’t have thought there’d be room to go down with the front diff in place.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Ha ha ha, i thought you made a funny. No i pulled it out from the top and then set it down in front of the truck. Sorry for the confusion.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Ha ha ha, i thought you made a funny. No i pulled it out from the top and then set it down in front of the truck. Sorry for the confusion.
Your skills compared to mine are like a Nija with an attitude compared to my Elmer Fudd. If anyone was going to pull a motor by dropping it it would be you!

Toasty

Your skills compared to mine are like a Nija with an attitude compared to my Elmer Fudd. If anyone was going to pull a motor by dropping it it would be you!

Thanks ?, I did once put a truck on it's roof to pull a transmission (didn't make it easier).

evomaki

Observer
This is a very interesting topic to follow. I still don't see how the 1UZ fits, although I've seen images someplace on the web of it being done, so it must. Maybe the 79 Colt Wagon has more distance fore-aft in the engine bay, but the Montero looks tight as it is. The head gasket would tell the story. 6G74 covers three jugs the 1UZ 4. Have these guys done work on the firewall to make it fit?

Toasty

So VVT-i and AW3 is going to require some ECU trickery or custom management. The 1UZ ECU has integrated TCU so if it doesn't see it's transmission it goes into limp mode, so some guys run a trans simulator to run a manual or 4 speed. The non VVT-i ECU expects to see the A340/AW3 so that's why that swap just works. I'm using the A650 in my swap, the biggest benefit to the 1UZ VVT-i swap for me was getting the 5 speed auto. It knows when to shift and is geared to make the most of the power band.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Custom management sounds interesting......this means a completely new, aftermarket ECU that would need to be configured from the ground up, right?

Toasty

Custom management sounds interesting......this means a completely new, aftermarket ECU that would need to be configured from the ground up, right?

Aftermarket ECUs and wiring exist for these engines so it's probably not terrible. Won't be the first time someone mixed and matched transmissions to a 1UZ. I'm making mine act and function stock because i want ultimate reliability/legality more than extra power or aftermarket support, the 300hp and 5 speed auto will do me fine.

AZPAJERO

Observer
So VVT-i and AW3 is going to require some ECU trickery or custom management. The 1UZ ECU has integrated TCU so if it doesn't see it's transmission it goes into limp mode, so some guys run a trans simulator to run a manual or 4 speed. The non VVT-i ECU expects to see the A340/AW3 so that's why that swap just works. I'm using the A650 in my swap, the biggest benefit to the 1UZ VVT-i swap for me was getting the 5 speed auto. It knows when to shift and is geared to make the most of the power band.

giphy.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles