To the Arctic Ocean - need help planning

skysix

Adventurer
You would cause less frame damage/stress if you drilled mounting holes in the sides of the frame and mo9unted a hitch support system that way - welding causes a lot of heat stress if not done properly. It can be done safely however - but get it done by an outfit that stretches frames not a local garage.

Are you in the US? I ask as I believe the rules in Europe are a lot more stringent than in North America when it comes to modifications...

Yes, I am in the US. Charlotte, NC.

You have piqued my interest. Is it the heat stress? I am a chemical engineer but am fuzzy on my metals and metallurgy concepts.

Drawer System

ok, after speaking with Karl, I am back to square one. He suggests hanging on to the warranty, and after thinking through this, I think I can get this done a different way.

1. I have ordered a front runner rack and currently considering some accessories for fuel jerry cans, simple implements etc.

2. We will be two people and will never be more than a week away from civilization and provisions. Never say never, but will try to be disciplined.

3. One thing that the G is not lacking in is vertical height. So here is an idea, partly gleaned from studying the entdecker, to get get a deep drawer system (either off the shelf or custom built) and the dogs can claim the top flat space above the drawers as their own.

4. Is there a off the shelf drawer system available?

5. If I get a custom built one, what should I be looking out for and does someone do this for 4wd vehicles? I like the brief description that specifies the drawer system akin to airline drawers for fit and function.

6. I wish I could get a drawer refrigerator put in, ala, my Sub Zero, bar refrigerator drawers? Any options out there?

7. Given the dimensions of the cargo area, I think I can get at least 30 cu ft of storage space, more than enough. Pack this up and the center of gravity is lowered.

8. The raised height will serve to give the dogs a view of the front and will allow us to talk to them and get a visual of their mischief, if any. The dogs will be separated from the rear seats by the Dog net.

Thanks everyone, I am relying on the collective wisdom of this forum to suggest sources and shoot down any dumb ideas I may have.

Thanks for reading and providing thoughtful responses.

For a quick refresher, please see the entdecker G system at:

http://http://www.mercedes-g-entdecker.com/

Regards,

Adi

zimm

Expedition Leader
you could solve plenty by ditching the dogs in a kennel. i saw outlaw josey wales, and even a mangy mutt look like a good companion, but in practice they can be a pain for allot more reasons than just being an 8yo on a trip that can run 25mph.

Zimm,

Agreed. But they are not just companion dogs, they are amazingly well trained, and will be a great help, including cleaning dishes, providing the wet dog parfum, fetching dead food from within 1 mile radius, and singing when needed instruct to do so.

Also, after looking at the internal dimensions, I think the drawer system will max be able to provide 18-20 cubic feet of space. Enough, I think.

stolenheron

Explorer
i'm in a similar situation with my discovery & my dog.

dog comes with my everywhere, so gear space is limited to the rear cargo area, front passenger seat (since i usually travel long distance alone) and on my roof rack.

since ur going with a rack, only put light items or things that you wouldnt want inside your vehicle on your rack. but do your absolute best to avoid excess weight.

my roof rack has 2 jerry cans and my hi-lift jack, luckily the rack is aluminum and isnt too heavy. still with the cans full, i have to be very careful about side slopes and any turns at higher speeds. roll over risk definitely increases. you will need to adjust your driving style accordingly to the way your truck is outfitted.

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
ok, after speaking with Karl, I am back to square one. He suggests hanging on to the warranty, and after thinking through this, I think I can get this done a different way.

1. I have ordered a front runner rack and currently considering some accessories for fuel jerry cans, simple implements etc.

2. We will be two people and will never be more than a week away from civilization and provisions. Never say never, but will try to be disciplined.

3. One thing that the G is not lacking in is vertical height. So here is an idea, partly gleaned from studying the entdecker, to get get a deep drawer system (either off the shelf or custom built) and the dogs can claim the top flat space above the drawers as their own.

5. If I get a custom built one, what should I be looking out for and does someone do this for 4wd vehicles? I like the brief description that specifies the drawer system akin to airline drawers for fit and function.

6. I wish I could get a drawer refrigerator put in, ala, my Sub Zero, bar refrigerator drawers? Any options out there?

7. Given the dimensions of the cargo area, I think I can get at least 30 cu ft of storage space, more than enough. Pack this up and the center of gravity is lowered.

8. The raised height will serve to give the dogs a view of the front and will allow us to talk to them and get a visual of their mischief, if any. The dogs will be separated from the rear seats by the Dog net.

Thanks everyone, I am relying on the collective wisdom of this forum to suggest sources and shoot down any dumb ideas I may have.

Thanks for reading and providing thoughtful responses.

For a quick refresher, please see the entdecker G system at:

http://http://www.mercedes-g-entdecker.com/

Regards,

Adi

Since you are thinking about a fridge for your drawer/storage system; a good quality fridge like Engel, ARB or National Luna is a must. Accessing the fridge is another matter. This might help solve using a fridge and maintaining as much of your storage as possible. Follow this link to view a new product on the market called the LoadSpotter slide.

Yes, it is a shameless plug!!

hoser

Explorer

For drawers, check:
http://www.adventuretrailers.com/drawer.html

For drawer fridges, check out,
http://www.waeco.com/en/5685.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles