To save it... or let it go?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Ebay is your friend. I saw a 3.4, 5spd, transfer, and engine harness go for around $1500 bucks. Motor only had 50k on it too.

That's a great deal. I found one locally for ~$900 w/ 123k miles. Few more bucks to change out the belts, pumps, etc. and it should be good as new. There are deals like this everywhere.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Man When It was time to replace my 22RE I was really amped to drop a few different engines in her. First and fore-most was the 1KZ-T 3.0l I4 Turbo Diesel, Then the 3RZ and I even toyed around with the idea of the 3.4... Now I like my 22RE, but quite often I find myself wishing I had just gone for it and put in one of those other motors...

Now I'm not saying you should put the 22RE in, but I do think that you should really really think aboutn how you use your truck and tehn choose between the 3RZ(2.7) and the 5VZE (3.4)... From what I understand, those who've done the 3.4 swap are getting better milage and ALOT more power compared to their old 3VZ. Personaly, I really think I might have missed the boat by not doing a swap. I love my 22RE for what it is, but boy would I like more power. Be careful though, you'll need to do a wiring harness swap as well if you plan to run a manual and are only finding Atuo-backed motors. ORS has you covered though and have stand alone units to make these engines work in front of the R151 Manual tranny.

Cheers

Dave

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I have a late 95 3.0 so supposedly the Head gasket is not an issue. I am skeptical though.
If we now consider 215K+ on headgaskets bad, I think we've come a very long way indeed. Back when Toyota had the issue the defective years were 100K basket cases.

To the original poster, if all it needs is HG, I'd just do that. Buys you another couple of years to accumulate parts for a 3.4L swap.

BTW, I spent a couple of grand rebuilding my 22R-E, so you won't be alone in sticking with who you brought to the dance. But if it was a 3.0L I was starting with it might be harder to not to do the 3.4L swap. Going from a 22R to a 3.4L isn't 1/10th as easy as a 3.0L to 3.4L. Different motor mounts, different trannys, etc. Other than the time and getting the wiring harness, the 3.0L -> 3.4L is pretty much bolt in.

If I had to do it again, I'd rebuild my 22R-E again. Zero question in my mind, no regrets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles