To save it... or let it go?

JoshInReno

Observer
My 1995 4Runner (3.0, 5 speed) has blown a head gasket. Its also needs the brakes redone and CV's replaced. All told... about $2000 in labor. I have the parts, thats what I do professionally. Also a blown speaker, a loose ground in the dash, and the headlights need to be aligned. Besides the head gasket, nothing big - just alot of little things. The interior and exterior are in REALLY good shape. The tires are almost new, the entire suspension is almost new, I just installed a winch bumper, etc., etc.

I love this truck - we have quiet a history together. She has 215,000+ on her now, I have put the last 50,000 on. Its not my only vehicle, so there is no giant rush to fix it. I also have a Dodge Cummins diesel - but its just not the same. Driving the Cummins is like doing your best to restrain a gorilla on steriods. Pure muscle and no manners. It has its place in my small fleet, but daily driving and trails are NOT it. Driving the 4Runner is like putting on a broke-in pair of boots. Comforting and familiar - you KNOW you will not be let down.

Even without the gasket issue, these things just aren't worth much currently on the open market. I don't really want to see it go, but I am having a hard time justifying putting any money into it.

The money part isn't a huge deal, except that I am saving for a wedding. So here I am at a crossroads. Do I pour cash into a longtime friend and partner, or let her go for the first offer that comes along? If I choose to keep, it will just sit on the side of my house for awhile, probably about a year. That seems shameful.

I have been struggling with this decision (if it was purely a fanancial one, it would be easy) - but I realize its like me asking a bunch of drunks if getting sober is a good idea! :sombrero:

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I really debated whether to re-power or rebuild the engine in Patch, so I sort of know where you're at. Patch & I have had some grand times and high adventures, for me there never was a question of selling it (him?). That truck has only let me down once, and ultimately that was because I let myself down. I just couldn't see my way to being less faithful when all the rest was ready to go, minus the odds & ends that always are part of owning an older vehicle.

OTOH if it were my DD that failed I'd be calling the junker to come get it.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Since it's not your only vehicle, my vote is to do a 3.4L V6 swap!

What he said. I can't see that its worth your money to continue to invest in the 3.0 V6 with 200k miles. You should be able to acquire a used 3.4 for $1000-1500, and then figure out the labor aspect. You might pay an extra grand or two over your head gasket repair, but then you've got another 5-10 years in your 4Runner (versus the thousands you'll spend on a replacement Toyota).

Tokarev

I find myself in a similar situation.

I've owned other Toyota 4x4's in the past and have always had good luck with them so I bought a 1994 4Runner last year without doing any research. That lack of research has come around to haunt me in the form of a blown head gasket.

I've done general vehicle maintenance and swapped parts here and there but don't currently have the shop space or the technical know-how to pull my old 3.0 and replace it with a 3.4 or a Vortec 4.3. I called a few 4x4 shops and was told by all that a conversion would run $5-6K depending on what I supplied etc. The cost of rebuilding the 3.0 engine is also pretty steep and even then the head gasket issue will always be there.

For the money involved, I'm just going to replace the '94 with a used Gen III (my first post here related to this!) that I've found for $5,000. This, to me, makes more sense financially since the 1997 has the better engine but still should retain some of the good stuff that makes a 4Runner a 4Runner.

What I'll do with the 1994 remains to be seen. Maybe I'll call the local high school and see if the kids in auto shop can't rebuild it for me.:)

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I can't see that its worth your money to continue to invest in the 3.0 V6 with 200k miles.

Reminds me of one of my favorite sig lines over on Yotatech by a 3.sl0 owner, regarding "fixing up" a 3.0 -

"You can't polish a turd. And I should know, I have one of the shiniest turds around."

slosurfer

Adventurer
Pics of said "winch bumper" and shipping to 93402?

LOL, on a serious note, you can probably find a decent (LOL) 3.0 to drop in rather than rebuilding yours. Lots of people are swapping them out and have never had any problems with them, but are just looking for more power.

I figure I'll probably come to this crossroads someday as I have a '93 with the 3.0 that also isn't my DD. I keep an eye on my cooling system as that, combined with the crossover pipe, seem to be the downfall and most often cause of HG failures.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I've also seen a couple of totalled 3rd Gen's going for $2-3k. You will have all the parts you need for the swap there, then just sell off the rest to recoup the cost.

dlbrunner

Adventurer
I also echo the conversion to the 3.4.

I have a late 95 3.0 so supposedly the Head gasket is not an issue. I am skeptical though.

If my head gasket fails, I would be reluctant to consider repairing unless a reasonable 3.4 is unavailable.

nickw

Adventurer
You could probably find a 3rz (2.7L) for a bit cheaper than a 5vz (3.4) - which has approx. the same power output as the 3.0. I have seen used low mile 3rz's around the $1k mark. Dont know what a wiring harness would cost you - but I would imagine you could get it all done for around the $2k mark doing alot of the work yourself.

Depending on your patience, a 22re would always be an option.

slosurfer

Adventurer
What are your engine swap rules in Nevada? In CA it can be a pain to get it passed by the smog referree, if you can even get an appointment. They closed for awhile due to budget cuts, not sure if they are back at it again or not.

Edit: There's a local guy here selling a 3.4 swapped 2nd gen for $3500 it has the A340F tranny with a marlin adaptor to a 4cyl gear transfer case so that he could add duals later. No one is buying it because it needs to be smogged and hasn't been to the referee yet. It's a great deal for someone out of state though that doesn't have to deal with that.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Since it's not your only vehicle, my vote is to do a 3.4L V6 swap!

Ebay is your friend. I saw a 3.4, 5spd, transfer, and engine harness go for around $1500 bucks. Motor only had 50k on it too.

Or part it out and cut your losses. Get yourself a newer 4runner and be done with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles