To pintle or not to pintle?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
The pintle is from Red Neck Trailers Sikeston, Missouri location. (573) 472-3839 I spoke to Pete who was very helpful. It was $160.67 + shipping.
What is nice is this hitch fits into a 2" receiver.

P/N TXO- 17916 The O after the TX is an O and not a zero.

rnArmy

Adventurer
It is important have the pintle and ring to be of the same size. You don’t want any slop between them.

Actually, you do want some slop in there. That's what gives it the side-to-side (or "twisting") capability if using a fixed pintle and a fixed lunette ring. You want movement in there. There probably is a defined proper size for the two - I just don't know what that is. I'm sure there's a too-big and a too-small.

It would be interesting to compare the size of the lunette ring off an old WWII trailer to the 2" receiver hitch lunette ring some of us are using instead.

tongue.29.jpg

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
It has been a few years since I seriously looked for a Dixon Bate (NRC2051) hitch. I've been wanting one for years, but really hasn't been a priority, and my current old military pintle hitch is working fine on and off road. But being bored (and kinda on lockdown with having Covid) I did a little bit of renewed looking. Found these in England:

NATO TOWING HOOK FV (NRC2051)| BUCKLEY BROTHERS (landroverspares.co.uk)

Dixon Bate NRC2051 Pintle Assembly, NATO Type Rotating Tow Hitch-Land Rover NRC2 | eBay (cheapest at $216.80 US plus unknown shipping and I don't know what else - VAT?)

Buy Towing Pintle, Fron/Rear, Military Part NRC2051G (pablanchard.co.uk)

So I contacted these places to see what it would cost total in US dollars with shipping to the USA (I'm in WA - if you're on the east coast it might be cheaper for you). I'll let you know. If I can get one delivered about or below $300 I'm pulling the trigger for sure. Don't know if I'm wishful thinking or not.

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
The pintle is from Red Neck Trailers Sikeston, Missouri location. (573) 472-3839 I spoke to Pete who was very helpful. It was $160.67 + shipping.
What is nice is this hitch fits into a 2" receiver.

P/N TXO- 17916 The O after the TX is an O and not a zero.

That is pretty cool. Same idea as the Dixon Bate without the ability to fix it in place so it doesn't rotate. Haven't really figured out the advantage though of why you wouldn't want it to rotate (given the option) other than maybe when initially hooking up the trailer's lunette ring?

Does anyone out there have one of these from Red Neck Trailers?

Last edited:
I tossed a kids scooter tire in there once to soften it up it was quiet til it wore out
Yes used to be the standard fix years ago when pintle was popular, lost of kids scooter tyres and various plain rubber rings habitually hanging from the pintles. Cheap and easy fix.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Ok; so I ordered the Dixon Bate hitch from the ebay seller in England (they got back to me pretty quick). Came to a total with tax and shipping of $296 in US dollars. Should get here early March (today is 25 January). I haven't heard back yet from the other two sellers I contacted.

I'll keep you posted.

dixon bate hitch order.1.png

Last edited:

Red90

Adventurer
Actually, you do want some slop in there. That's what gives it the side-to-side (or "twisting") capability if using a fixed pintle and a fixed lunette ring. You want movement in there. There probably is a defined proper size for the two - I just don't know what that is. I'm sure there's a too-big and a too-small.

It would be interesting to compare the size of the lunette ring off an old WWII trailer to the 2" receiver hitch lunette ring some of us are using instead.

View attachment 703721

You never want both fixed. One must rotate. Always.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider

Huh, never knew that?!

I always thought the slop was enough. Have I been doing it wrong or have I been getting away with it for a time period? Haven’t rolled a trailer yet though so there is that!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rnArmy

Adventurer

Both ends of mine are currently fixed. The lunette ring is fixed on the end of the tongue, and the pintle is fixed in the receiver. Nothing rotates by itself. I depend on the slop between the two to allow the trailer to twist on its axis. Figure the more slop (side-to-side twisting movement of the ring inside the pintle), the better flexibility (or range of motion) I have without ripping something apart.

tongue.30.jpg

Last edited:

NMBruce

Adventurer
I have the “Lock & Roll” hitch set up right now, yes it will rotate 360 degs, but I am not sure I like that.
I am thinking of going to the Pintle type, I think this will allow the trailer to move enough off road and keep it from rolling all the way over.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
That is pretty cool. Same idea as the Dixon Bate without the ability to fix it in place so it doesn't rotate. Haven't really figured out the advantage though of why you wouldn't want it to rotate (given the option) other than maybe when initially hooking up the trailer's lunette ring?

Does anyone out there have one of these from Red Neck Trailers?
I, of course do.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Wow how this is being over analyzed is funny. The noise is not real , the advantage is real . People want the expensive "cool overland look" .
With a pintle, I can hitch up at a 90 degree angle . Try that with a boutique hitch .

rnArmy

Adventurer
Ok; so I ordered the Dixon Bate hitch from the ebay seller in England (they got back to me pretty quick). Came to a total with tax and shipping of $296 in US dollars. Should get here early March (today is 25 January). I haven't heard back yet from the other two sellers I contacted.

I'll keep you posted.

View attachment 703812

I ordered it (Dixon Bate hitch) this morning. And then this afternoon I got an email from the seller/eBay saying:

"Hi, full refund. Uk delivery only. US customs may charge 50 to 100 GBP plus. Will re-list. But if you have a UK delivery address. Sorry for any inconvenience."

Bummer. Strike one. Oh well... still waiting to hear from one of the other sellers. It isn't a showstopper (sniff sniff...).

I was THIS CLOSE to getting one. :(

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
I have the “Lock & Roll” hitch set up right now, yes it will rotate 360 degs, but I am not sure I like that.
I am thinking of going to the Pintle type, I think this will allow the trailer to move enough off road and keep it from rolling all the way over.

To the best of my knowledge, I have never overextended the limits of my pintle hitch/lunette ring set-up in all the years I've been running it. And I've taken my trailer on some pretty wild off-camber off-roading/overlanding trips. I just think it would be nice to have the option of having either a fixed in place pintle hitch, or the option to allow the pintle to rotate 360-degrees. Which is what the Dixon Bate hitch allows. If I never get one, oh well... I've gone this long.

I'm not going for the "cool overland look"; I'm going for the "rugged ex-military overland look". :) Is that a thing?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles