To much lift

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I have a 2000 Jeep XJ with a Rough Country 4.5” lift. My question is I’ve been watching some you tube videos and they seem to do overlanding with a stock vehicle. I’m running 32” BFG M/T. The Jeep came with the lift and a winch bumper. Eventually want to put a rtt on after I get everything fixed. It is my daily driver and my plans are to camp and do some photography and fish. Should I lower the suspension? It has the short arms and I was thinking of putting on longer arms. Thank you for any advice.

Superduty

Adventurer
Does it ride nice enough for you? Do you dislike the lift for some reason?

The rules for overlanding vehicles is there are no rules. Whatever works for you and gets you out exploring is what you should you use.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I don’t dislike the lift. I know it’s how you drive the vehicle and pick the right track. I see some people have enough lift to run 35, 37 and 40” tires. Not looking to do any rock crawling. Probably will check out Maine and Vermont’s non paved roads.

billiebob

I have a 2000 Jeep XJ with a Rough Country 4.5” lift. My question is I’ve been watching some you tube videos and they seem to do overlanding with a stock vehicle. I’m running 32” BFG M/T. The Jeep came with the lift and a winch bumper. Eventually want to put a rtt on after I get everything fixed. It is my daily driver and my plans are to camp and do some photography and fish. Should I lower the suspension? It has the short arms and I was thinking of putting on longer arms. Thank you for any advice.
I did this with my TJR, first a 4"lift, then a highline plus a 2" lift, now the highline and full stock suspension. I love it. The reliability, cost to maintain a stock suspension blow away any advantage from any lift.

On an "overlander" the goal is reliability for a million miles. Stock does that. JEEP, Just Empty Every Pocket..... NOT an overlander goal. YES, you should revert to a basic almost stock, unlifted suspension for a daily driver, camping, photography, fishing vehicle. Jeep did a fabulous job on the XJ, a 2000 has 16? years of Jeep engineering and research behind it. All the lifts and mods out there are the result of massive marketing efforts by the aftermarket suppliers and the "ego" of everyone buying those mods. Do it smart, quit being a lemming, GO STOCK !!!

billiebob

The best goals for an overlander, increase reliability, reduce expense and maintenance, increase mpg/range, reduce weight, tread lightly, become invisible. Get out, travel, meet people, see the world. Look back on history? How did the best travelled overlanders do it 30/60/90 years ago. Read, follow their mantra.

Stock vehicles have an entire corporation behind research and development. Almost every after market supplier has a marketing research and advertising agency determining what they sell. Lifts are mostly about ego and marketing. Only a few offer superior products to the niche market into extreme off roading be it mud or rocks or desert sand. Where do you overland?

Last edited:

G0to60

Observer
Personally I would run it as you have it right now to see how it feels and if anything looks to break. Rough country isn't the best brand out there so going back to stock might be a better bet for reliability but it's not rocket science and there isn't a whole lot to that kit. It also depends on how far out into the bush you plan to go. If you're just running forest roads you're most likely going to be pretty close to a major road or cell service if something does break. If you're going way out with no cell service and several hours away from the closest paved road then you might want to go back to stock.

Dirt Rider

Careful with that center of gravity ! Overlanding can mean steep angle and the higher you go the more likely a tip might happen.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Run what ya brung! 4.5” and 32” is not outrageous or a problem for camping out of. Going back costs more money, not worth it IMHO.

As far as reliability, I have never seen a failure in a properly used spring or control arm before 25+ years and serious miles and corrosion, no matter who built them. Bushings... maybe. Shocks... yes, all wear and fail someday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles