To lift or not to lift, that is the question

raven1911

Observer
I have a 3rd gen 4Runner that I am contemplating putting a lift on. I have some reservations though,
Mainly two. 1. There vast 4x4ing that I have done I have only hit a rock once. I mainly use the truck for
Camping, hunting and off roading but nothing hardcore but and it is my everyday driver. 2. I am concerned that my MPGs will go down significantly as I have heard it will probably go down a couple mpg.

I really like the thought of a small lift about 2 inches and I think aesthetically it
will improve the look of my vehicle and how it handles off road, but I would want some functionality of a purchase like that too. So what say you? I would like to hear from others who have put a lift on their rig about if their mpg suffered as a result and if you too wrestled with this decision and ultimately what was your choice and why?

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
I found myself with a similar decision. I wanted to throw a lift and all kinds of mods on my 5th gen 4runner. The problem is I drive that thing everyday, so all those mods would be nothing but dead weight for 98% of the driving I do. I've also found that the 5th gen 4runner, and Toyota's 4runner lineup in general, is extremely capable in stock form.

If you are having no issues going where you want to go with the vehicle, then I'd say there is no real need for a lift. If you want a lift, do your research. Make sure you're not sacrificing any payload capabilities or ride comfort by adding an aftermarket suspension. If you add only 1-2 inches, you might notice a slight decrease in fuel economy. If you go higher, add bigger tires and hefty armor, then I'd say you'll see a more noticeable decrease.

coop74

Old Camping Dude
it is often possible with a small lift, like 2 inches, to actually improve the ride of your truck with little to no effect on the mileage. The previous person who suggested a taller skinny tire can also help too.

When i went from the stock to a 2 inch lift with the 235/85/r16 tires i was able to maintain the mileage figure because i reduced my rolling resistance. I have never had a problem going anywhere i have wanted to and it would appear we use our vehicles for the same purpose.

Only when i started hanging all the over landing comfort items did i lose about 2-3 mpg and now i avg about 17 in the city and maybe 20 on the Istate...

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
Being that this is, a question that comes up often, i have a question for you? do you care about how it "handles" or "rides" no off road?
The reason i ask, it sounds like a bolt on coilover, and some nicer shocks in the rear would be suffice.
The 3rd gens are easy to modify. I dont think a full tilt build is up your ally. But some aftermarket valve-able shocks does wonders on a ride. Doesnt mean you need to lift it to the sky, but typically 1-2 inches is the norm on a kit like that.
I would not get spacers.

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
do some research on the 4runner forums and buy the biggest tire you can fit. tall and skinnys are great. I'm not sure its a big of a deal with the 4Rs, but the with FJC's IFS you have to watch the UCA's rubbing and the offset on your wheels if your tires go wider or taller. You can usually get away with going bigger then you would think if your not afraid to bend/reshape/cut plastic. Or if you live in a state that doesn't care about "mudflaps".

take off the factory running boards if you haven't already. and buy a good set of sliders.

if you do lift it. don't go cheap. don't do the spacers get real shocks and springs. most good kits will improve on stock ride especially if your OEM is warn out. spacers are for posers.

you probably don't need a full set of skids from the sounds of it. Aluminum ones cost alot. steel ones will kill your mpg. if your not afraid/get over the fear of hitting the rocks once in a while, you'll realize that you have an extremely capable vehicle and you might not need the lift. first things that usual touch rocks are things like mufflers, rear hitch, rear pumpkin. the mufflers are easily replaced, and hits don't affect function. The rear diff is overbuilt and can take light hits once in a while no problem.

I think that the bigger factor would be changing tire types would affect MPG more then changing the size by a couple of sizes.

lhanson

Adventurer
For daily driver stock as possible. With a stock rig you can go many many places. Places you shouldn't be even. Always recommend sliders and skid plates if you plan on running on dirt even not getting extreme as it only takes once for something to ********** a important piece and expensive piece. When it comes to gas mileage don't pay attention to it to much when it comes to off road and fact it is a truck. Would be nice to get amazing mileage but it is what it is with what you own.

When time comes when you want more performance then opt for a quality coilover kit and rear shocks etc and then you'll notice in a years time your wallet will have a hole in it ha. Happy exploring!

raven1911

Observer
Ya the only reason I worry about mpg is that it's my daily driver for work. I drive around 100 miles a day. I can probably try and save up for another car but not sure I want to yet.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
it is often possible with a small lift, like 2 inches, to actually improve the ride of your truck with little to no effect on the mileage. The previous person who suggested a taller skinny tire can also help too.

When i went from the stock to a 2 inch lift with the 235/85/r16 tires i was able to maintain the mileage figure because i reduced my rolling resistance. I have never had a problem going anywhere i have wanted to and it would appear we use our vehicles for the same purpose.

Only when i started hanging all the over landing comfort items did i lose about 2-3 mpg and now i avg about 17 in the city and maybe 20 on the Istate...

^ This.

I put a 2.5" lift on my first gen Tacoma with 235/85's and it's not only more capable offroad, but rides better. The stock suspension was so.... squishy. I went with OME and it grips quite well now. The mileage did go down maybe 2 to 3 mpg, but I consider that a fair trade. I've been pretty surprised at the places it's gone.

(none)

Adventurer
Stay stock as long as possible. Once the stock stuff starts wearing out (which if you're driving a 3rd gen, I'd be betting it is), then start up grade. No reason to go crazy. OME offers many small to no lifts. You'll probably see a small lift anyways just because everything is so worn. As others mentioned, don't even bother with spacer lifts. They are a waste, especially on worn out bits. I went with OME on my LC80 and was very happy with the way it road. I went with Icon on my 5th gen (not following what I preached, I think I swapped everything at 10k miles) and it rides very well too. No change in fuel mileage of either.

arctic04trd

Yes they do. For 1st gen tacomas the 880 I believe will be stock height coil. Should be the same for 4runner. I know nothing of rear coils, I'm a Tacoma guy.

My advice is don't lift it. It's one big money pit. And almost unnessesary. The benefits are there, but in reality you are trying to make a 4runner (or any Toyota really) perform like a jeep. The truth is they are better than jeeps, because they can go off-road in some great places stock and still do 70mph no problemo on the Hwy. Someday I will buy a stock Toyota and leave it. Some aftermarket suspension, but no lift. But that someday is not today...

Full disclaimer: my truck is lifted 3", 33s, armor, winch, and going in for gears and lockers within the month.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Don't lift it. You can do a lot to improve offroad performance without big tires and a lift. New shocks (I'm a huge fan of the Bilstein 5100's) and a good set of tires would be good enough. Resist the need to go big and ask yourself if you really need it.

Wisco

Observer
I changed the factory suspension in my '97 4Runner at 240k miles, as it was plain worn out. I used Eibach (Wheelers Offroad) front springs, OME rear springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks on all 4 corners. I gained right at 3" of lift and stuck with 265/75's before and after the suspension change. My MPG's did not change (I still average around 19 mpg), however the ride quality vastly improved.

zidaro

Explorer
Very few people lift their trucks because they NEED to. :punk03:

I play with my rigs. ALWAYS.
cuz its fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles