To keep my Suburban or not??? that is the question

Reece04

Observer
So I am having a bit of a personal dilemma. I currently have a 90 1500 4x4 suburban in really good condition for its age, but recently a good friend picked up a land cruiser, and another friend has one that is already built up... and to be frank, I am a bit jealous.

So my question is simple, should I ditch the huge suburban and go find a landcruiser to build up or should I accept the cons of having such a big vehicle and keep it.

Here are some details

Pros:
-only has 91K original miles
-Interior is excellent other than the headliner
-rebuilt transmission (700r4) with heavy duty parts and cooler 1.5 years ago
-no leaks at all
-already has 4 inch lift
-tons of room
-Paid OFF!

Cons:
-its a 1500 with 3:73 gears, can't really tow much (hence needing a rebuild on the transmission) oops!
-very tall, with roof rack sits at about 7'6"
-long wheel base
-needs a paint job (well I want a paint job!)
-fuel economy (measured in gallons per mile, not mpg)
-did I mention it is a half ton....

Types of use:

Weekend campouts, mild trails to medium trails, would like some longer trips, just not equipped for that yet.

What to do, what to do?

In a perfect world I keep it and buy a land cruiser, however, I don't have that kind of parking.

Does anyone with a suburban have issues with the height after a lift?

I would appreciate any and all opinions... unless you call me names... then I won't appreciate it!

Thanks,

Hank

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Reece, a lot of people are really happy with their `Burbs´. The fact that it is a half ton does have its limitations, but you say that you are going to be travelling on mild to medium trails. Then I would say that you will probably be ok with the vehicle you have now. Unless you are really good at selling a truck then you will more than likely lose money selling your Burb and then purchasing a Landcruiser. Dont get me wrong, the Landcruiser is a great truck, but are you suffering from a case of `The grass allways looks greener on the other side´? I can see you saving a lot of money in fuel with the Toyota, but is it the best vehicle for towing?:Wow1:

red87

Adventurer
Why not take the money you'd spend on a Land Cruiser and put that into gears? Your mileage and power are both going to increase. I'm assuming you got bigger tires to go with the lift btw

I agree. For your stated purposes, I'd say keep the Burb. Re-gear and re-paint it if you want. You're not going to gain towing performance going to a Toyota, and it'll take you a long time to make back the $ in gas. Full-size vehicles are great when you're on an extended trip, and you already have a solid vehicle that you're familiar with.

shovelbill

Observer
i agree with Climber Rob.

i think you need to consider the space requirements you need. a suburban can be made bullet proof for any type of task.....and you already own it. with a 4" lift you should have no issues with 35" tires if you put the money into 4.56 gears and a semi floating 14 bolt. parts are cheaper for these trucks, it'll tow better, hold more, can have better fuel economy with the proper engine modifications and gearing, rides very well if the proper springs are used, parts are everywhere, and you already own it.

what tires do you have now? what springs and shocks? how many people do you carry? why do you need a roof rack? as long as you don't overload the roof you should be fine, but remember it increases drag, raises the center of gravity and kills gas mileage.

the weak link in that rig is the axles......i'd spend the coin to upgrade those. you could look into a swap from an Army M1008, they have 4.56 already and the rear has a Detroit locker in it. you'll need a few different things to do the swap though........completely worth it imo.

stewie

I would suggest instead of re-gearing your 1/2 ton axles that you get some 3/4 ton axles with 4.10 gears, they are almost a direct bolt in swap.

I have a 86 K10 suburban with 3/4 ton axles and they work fantastic, the bigger brakes are a really nice addition. The downside to swapping axles is that you would need 8 lug wheels unless you can find a 9.5" 14 bolt semi float 6 lug rear axle, which I hear is rather difficult to find, but have never looked for one either.

My suburban is big and doesn't get the best gas mileage but it gets better fuel economy than my 98 V10 Dodge :Wow1:

Stewie

Rot Box

Explorer
There are a few more Pro's to the GM.

-Body/drivetrain/engine parts are cheap to find used and new.

-Axle upgrades and options are nearly limitless

-TBI V8 engines are very reliable and easy to troubleshoot while providing decent horsepower.

I think now is the time to ditch the axles you have. The 3.73's, fuel mileage and 1/2 ton part can all change for as little as an axle swap. A Corp. 14b (I'd go with a full floater here) and dana 60 swap are nearly bolt in and go and these are very common to find used with 4.10 and 4.56 gears. That is the route I would take as you will also gain much more strength and it will be cheaper that the money you'll loose on going with an LC.

Assuming you are considering a 60 or 80 series: I love the Toyota's too so I'm not trying to downplay them here, but going that route you will loose tow-ability. Fuel mileage is going to be about the same plus you'll likely have less power especially if you went with the 3FE. For the type of wheeling you've mentioned I think the Suburban will suit you just fine one you tie up a few loose ends.

In this photo you can see me driving on egg shells LOL. 15+ Toyota's and one giant size big stupid--circled the problem--Ford :elkgrin: It's a little uncomfortable at first trust me! But you'll learn the big rigs are right at home with that species. I've often considered an 80 series but when I weigh out the options I don't think the grass is that much greener on the other side. Anyway that's just my opinion so take it for what its worth... which isn't much :bike_rider:

DSC02011.jpg

hochung

Adventurer
I think it's perfectly normal, as a Chevy owner, to feel that envy when surrounded by Land Cruisers.

The best way to cure this is to get a Land Cruiser. No mod in the world will transform your Suburban into a Land Cruiser.

Now, just like only a mother can love her child, if you truly love your Burban, then keep it. But I doubt this is the case, as you are posting and sharing your envy for the LCs.

Cons:
-its a 1500 with 3:73 gears, can't really tow much (hence needing a rebuild on the transmission) oops!
-very tall, with roof rack sits at about 7'6"
-long wheel base
-needs a paint job (well I want a paint job!)
-fuel economy (measured in gallons per mile, not mpg)
-did I mention it is a half ton....

you can change gear, make it shorter, shorten the wheelbase, new paint job, miraculously change fuel economy...... and in the end, it's still a Suburban, and the envy will still be there.

MrBeast

Explorer
If I was you id be checking out the Gov deals and gov liquidation sites to find a 3/4 ton burb, they often have them on there and they go for a grand or less, that will get you 4.10 or 4.56 gears, a 14b ff rear, and if you really got froggy you could do a frame swap to the heavier frame.

Or you could do the same with a CCUV pickup.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
As has been said, get heavier axles under there with proper gearing, do some reinforcing, and whatever else you want.

Then refuse to carry the items in your suburban that your buddies can't fit into their Cruisers....ahahahahahahh sweet revenge.

Keep the burb.:coffee:

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I can see you saving a lot of money in fuel with the Toyota........

I've never heard of Land Cruisers being equated to saving fuel. Most of the guys I know, myself included are lucky to get 16 highway and 12 city in an 80 series. My Yukon gets 17 if I keep my foot out of it.

If you can swing it, add a cruiser to the quiver. Don't sell the burb just to get one.

Dave

PS, You got a pic? How much lift? What brand lift, What tires, etc. I'm planning on a 2" lift and 285s on the Yukon. Mine is a '98.

DT75FLH

Adventurer
and some of the older cruisers with lift/tires, equip can get as low as 10 mpg..which puts it in burb catagory
(my buddies old built 91 only got 11-12 mpg on the highway and 8-10 wheeling )

I bought ntsqd burb on here. its a 1/2 ton with a 14 bolt FF and 10 bolt front w/ 8 lug outers.

it has around 3 " lift.

I put a 2" block in the rear and it now sits level it has 285/75/16 tires on it and could fit 35" tires. I just put in 4.10 gears and it has a rear locker. the 4.10 gears and 33" tires is like stock. speedo now reads correct.
. the front axle has a trac lock that is welded..chromo shafts and ctm u joints it will hold up to a 36" tires if your easy

if your going to run 35" tires I would run 4.56 of 4.88 gears and enjoy the power and room of the burb.

Id keep the burb.

also this engine has 177k miles on it. it is stock tbi and runs great. if your truck only has 91k and its been taken care off it has alot of life left especially with the new tranny...

my .03

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
You haven't said which model LC you are considering. I can only tell you about my experience with an FJ-40 I had. It was a great truck, tough as a tank, would go just about anywhere, and I loved it. I wish I had never sold it. But cargo space was very limited, it was underpowered, and the best I ever got was 11 mpg. I would not give up a roomy Suburban for a LC.

But as somebody already pointed out, the envy factor is strong in your case, and I think your mind is already made up.

JP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles