To buy or not to buy

Byzantine51

Forgive me if I was curt. I do appreciate your offer, the van looks cherry. It's just well beyond my budget. We have two 6.0 L Turbo Diesels at work and they're an absolute nightmare to start under 30 degrees. So I'm gun shy about diesels. As for the four wheel drive, it's going to be fairly necessary for trips like the White Rim Trail and other mountain biking and rafting access roads. My personal mechanic, and very good friend, is a die-hard Chevy guy, and insists the 6.0 L Vortec, especially the newer ones, are bulletproof. From what I've read, he's not wrong, but I am open to all opinions.

UHAULER

Explorer
What is the interior height of the schoolbus ? is standing up in a camper important to you ?
I personally think the 7.3 diesels are over rated. I had an 02 f350 with one and it was a good truck but the premium these people want for an engine is silly.

Deshet

Adventurer
I understand being gun shy about diesels, especially if you spent time around an early Ford 6.0. Synthetic oil fixes the no start under 30 degrees. Even in the coldest environments 3 full cycles of the glow plugs and they will fire up. I come across a lot of one off stuff and I can't buy it all. I don't think the Chevy 4x4 Buses are a bad deal I just hate rust, and I have seen them much cleaner. You can get a 2008/2009 Ford E350 4x4 gas van within your budget if they are of interest to you. Do you like the school bus for the size or it just the best 4x4 van deal that you have found? I can keep my eye out if you are looking for something specific.

eporter

Adventurer
^^This guy finds a lot of cool stuff!^^ I like my Ambo but wish it had a little more headroom. And windows. The bus has more of those and is lighter. Build quality/construction is way different though. What about airport shuttles vs school bus? Less of those in 4wd? For me having more interior space for a snowy winter skiing hangout spot would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Byzantine51

I haven't found a 150k or lower mileage, 2008 ish model year for under $10k anywhere. There is that one 2007 Chevy 3500 Quigley with 84k on CL Baltimore for $9k but the 4 wheel drive is buggy. Where do you look for these vehicles Deshet? I generally look on Craigslist but have not found other good resources for 4x4 vans. I like the buses for the combination of interior size, windows, and body strength. Would be easy to fit a whole camper build in there. But anything from an extended E350, 3500 and up to a mini bus in 4x4 is of interest to me, ambos included.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior