To 4WD or Not to 4WD - Advice needed

Scotty D

I spend winters in baja and I am here now. You can explore tons of sites and camp on beaches down here with 2wd so dont ever let that keep you from coming down.
However
There are many many places where its nice to camp right in the sand . For that you need to air down a heavy rig and have at least awd.
I have awd and a rear locker in my express van and I can tell you that I make use of it all the time. One thing that I hate is having someone in a group of capable vehicles that only has 2wd. It really can impact our choices on where to camp. Sometimes there is just one obstacle on an otherwise nice dirt road that you really need to creep across with AWD, having can be the difference between pulling up to an awesome campsite in time for sunset or having to turn back to town.
First year in baja though there is so much to see that you dont really have time to get too far into the boonies.

Whatever you do , just make it down here.
Sooner is better, things are starting to change ...

D

Deleted member 9101

Keep in mind...any olace rough enough to need 4x4 is probably rough enough to tear/flex your camper to the breaking point.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
SAVE your 4WD conversion money upfront and don't go on the sandy beaches in Baja!

Put a 2WD lift kit on it IF you must do something to the van to call yourself an Overlander then go out, travel and have fun with your van. Ya never know you might find out you want another type vehicle as you become more experienced in Overland travel OR decide this Overlanding lifestyle thing is not for U at all!

Either way you will Dollars ahead in the game compared to most who dive in face first by BLOWING A LOT OF MONEY finding out what they do not like!

Last edited:

shade

A small trailer with a UTV or motorcycles would be about the same price as a 4WD conversion at a shop.

If traveling solo, a bike on a rear carrier is even cheaper.

Either way, far more capable of going anywhere compared to dragging a camper that big over, under, and through challenging trails. Plus, you gain a backup mode of travel.

gatorgrizz27

On that vehicle, I can’t see the cost of a 4wd conversion being justified unless you’ve got access to a cheap parts truck and the ability to fab, or a buddy willing to help for beer.

I’ve had 9 vehicles total, the last two before my current one were both 2wd with mild all terrain tires and rear auto lockers.

My mindset with both of those vehicles shifted from exploring and riding around in the dirt for fun, to only doing what was absolutely necessary to do what I was trying to do. Hunting, fishing, camping, construction sites primarily. I would often get out and walk any section that I couldn’t clearly see was good enough to drive, had the ability to turn around without going off the trail, etc.

I had been doing it long enough that I had become of the mindset that 2wd was enough to get you anywhere you had any business being. One day I was cutting firewood in the National forest, following my rules, walked then drove down a hard packed sand trail with a decent turn around at the other end. I was pulling a small lightweight trailer that was empty and was going to turn around before loading it with wood so I could come out straight. I ended up with a front tire going down a small 8-10” hill in order to make the multi point turn, and got stuck. I unhooked the trailer and pushed it back, aired down, dug the piled up sand from behind the tires, all with no success getting free.

Finally I remembered I had a metal ramp not unlike a Maxtrax underneath the trailer and was able to to use it to drive out. Shortly afterwards I got rid of that vehicle and went back to AWD/4x4. That one was a Suburban, which tend to do better than pickups due to more weight over the rear tires.

However, if you figure $500 for a rear locker, $300 for a pair of Maxtrax, and $500 for a Smittybilt 12,000 lb winch compared to $5-10k for a 4wd conversion, I’d probably just leave it as is.

billiebob

Standard rig is 2001 E-350 Super Duty 2wd dually, with limited slip and 3.63 gears. To set up for off-road I went with ActionVans 4.5" front lift with 2" rear block kit. Tires are Goodyear Duratrac 235/85/16. Also got from ActionVan Fox Shocks valved for rig, fox steering stabilizer and 2008 radius arms. Recently added custom Ujoint front bumper and 12k winch. I also carry recovery treads, tire chains, shovel and snatch rope. And to make sure I know what I am doing I took a 2 day one-on-one professional off-road driving course that spent a lot of time on self-recovery, picking lines, etc...

I have spoke to and read about several people with these rigs with similar setup that they report are great in snow and slippery terrain.

Since I don't look for trouble I think my rig and recovery gear will get me out of the type of jams I could get in....if not I can relax in comfort until help arrives...LOL

My two cents...

View attachment 571644
this is the best option. but we have moved on, the op has a new thread

rruff

Explorer
Nothing wrong with 2WD. I'd have trouble justifying the cost and then there is the quality of the conversion and skill of the outfitter.

If you want 4WD buy a unit with 4WD. The biggest advantage of 4WD is low range. With 2WD you need speed, momentum to get thru the same things 4LO lets you crawl thru. 4LO lets you tread lightly, and go slow so you break fewer things, on the truck and on the trail.

With 2WD, caution, good judgement will keep you from getting stuck.
With 4WD, that caution and good judgement often get forgotten and you get stuck more often, and deeper.

So much win in this post!

I lived in a 2wd truck for 13 years (with crappy clearance, suspension, power, tires, no skids, no winch, tall gearing, etc). Always camped in remote places (including Baja beaches). The clutch was my low range, and I just bashed my way through crap. 150k miles of this, and never got so stuck I couldn't get out on my own, and suffered zero failures in the boonies. 4wd is certainly nice, but...
My advice is:

Mild lift, good and larger tires, regear, a locker or LS, are fairly cheap things that will help. Maybe skids? I had none of these, but I still think they are good to have.
You absolutely need a good tire pump (airing down for sand makes all the difference) and a spare pump (just in case), spare tire and patching tools, a shovel, tow rope... that's about it.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
No, you don't need 4WD, but if you ever get it you will never go back to 2WD.
Without 4WD, go for super singles, a decent compressor, snow chains and a diff lock.
......eeeeerrrr .... if you do have 4WD, go for them too.....
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles